PDA

View Full Version : What to get? **After range time**

zx10r203
08-15-2009, 11:42 AM
First post here on the sight but have been reading a lot of info listed on here and I have come to the conclusion that our state sucks!!

I have been looking for first handgun. I have a .22 rifle and my neighborhood is getting worse by the minute. Drug deals across the street, attempt break-ins to my home, vehicle broken into... whats next? My family?!?! It ain't going that far!!

I have been looking around and had a good idea of what I wanted after reading a lot of reviews it came down to the Springfield XD(m) in either a 9mm or .40 but after researching on this site turns out that it is not on California list!! So I was disappointed. Then I moved on to the next gun on the list, Beretta 90-two. Again read great reviews on it and decided to look at the CA list and this site and again, not on the list!!

Here is what I am down to:
Kimber 1911 TLE/RL II
http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/stainless_tle_rl_2.jpg

Beretta PX4 Storm
https://www.berettausa.com/img_catalog/JXF9G21_L.jpg

Ruger SR9
http://www.gundirectory.com/guns/20797-1.jpg

Smith and Wesson M&P
http://www.gundirectory.com/guns/20221-1.jpg

As you can see the pricing range is all over the place.
But they all have rails which is one thing I am looking for and are in the CA list. Also easy field strip. I have looked at glock but don't really like the looks.

So the question is, what would you guys recommend?

**********UPDATE**********

Well I went to the range today with a friend and we spend about 3 hours there and a good chunk of money. Shot a total of 5 different guns.
Here are my takes on them.

Kimber 1911 .45 - This was my friends gun. Nice crisp trigger pull, felt a little on the heavy side, and the grip felt a little thin. My shots were all over the target. I think that a .45 is a little too much and with a $1200 price tag, it won't leave any funds left for any accessories. Not to mention $28.00 for a box of ammo. OUCH!!! I put 100 rounds through it with one FTE.

S&W M&P9 9mm - This was rented at the range. Shot 200 rounds with no FTF or FTE. The grip and ergonomics felt perfect. Fit like a glove. The sights left a little to be desired of but with the recoil of the 9mm my shots grouped a lot better. Think gun had me smiling after every shot. Since I am left handed this gun fits me better. 2 thumbs up for this one.

Glock 17 9mm - Also rented from the range. Shot 200 rounds with no FTF or FTE. The grip felt ok and I really liked the weight of the gun. The sights were great. A lot better than the M&P. After a few shots I noticed a problem for my since I am left handed. The mag release on the glock was digging into my middle finger (close to the webbing) with every shot fired. Did not feel good. I traded it in for another G17 and it did the same thing. All in all the glock 17 felt petty good. The groupings were decent, about the same as the M&P.

Glock 35 .40 - Also rented at the range. Also shot 100 round but had one FTE but no FTFs. Liked the weight and sights. Like the G17 shots grouped better than the 1911 but not as good as the G17 or M&P. Also with the G35, the mag release was eating my finger raw. But other wise was pretty happy with it.

Sig P226 9mm - Rented at the range and shot 100 rounds. Weight was ok but the ergonomics did not feel too comfortable. Had FTEs and no FTF. The controls felt good and in good locations like the Glock and S&W but my shots were spaced out a lot more than the Glocks and M&P.

So here is my conclusion. My wrists are weak and I got to work them out. So I will go with a 9mm for more control and cheaper ammo there for more range time thus improving my shooting. I am between a Glock 17 or 34 (even though I did not shoot a 34) and the S&W M&P9. These 2 felt the best. The M&P fit like a glove but the glock had better sights out of the box. If I do go with a Glock hopefully I can may be smooth off any sharp edges on the mag release so that it doesn't leave the inside of my finger raw!!

During these test I did not look a the gun's look but the way it felt and performed for me.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions!!

Greg-Dawg
08-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Desert Eagle in .44 Mag.

Black Majik
08-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Actually, none of the listed. I figure for a first centerfire handgun I'd look at 9mm for the price of ammo.

That rules out the 1911.

The current production SIG is all over the map in terms of quality, I'd skip that too. If you don't mind lightly used, a W. German/German stamped slide P226 or P228 would be an awesome first handgun.

Beretta PX4 isn't all too popular, but I'd probably look into the 92FS instead. I still like Berettas even though they're also going the polymer parts route. Still seems to have good QC from what I've seen.

A few others to consider would be:

CZ75
Smith Wesson M&P
Springfield XD9
Walther P99
HK P2000
HK USP/USPc

Of course, what feels good in the hand may be totally unpleasant at the range. Try before you buy.

Greenspartan117
08-15-2009, 12:12 PM
I voted for the Sig P226. I have an older west german mfg. one and I love it. I do love my P220 more though, but both are great guns. Mine originally did not have a rail, but you can add an Insight adaptor to add a rail on and you can pick up the used P226's without a rail for about $500. I personally think that the older ones with the rolled carbon steel slides better than the new stainless steel ones. Alot of people like the new ones too, don't get me wrong, but something about the smooth look of the classic Sigs gets me all happy :-) I hope it helps!

Greenspartan117

B Strong
08-15-2009, 12:21 PM
I vote the TLE/RL II.

Mine has run 100% with .45 and in the 99th percentile w/ the .22 conversion kit (mag issues)

civilsnake
08-15-2009, 12:24 PM
We need to know your intended purpose for the weapon. Do you just want it for home defense? How much do you plan on practicing? Do you plan to carry it on your property? Are you the only one who would be using it (wife with smaller hands, maybe?)? Do you care about logos/brands/aesthetics?

For newbies concerned about home defense, 9mm is the way to go. There are adequate stopping loads available, and it's cheap to shoot otherwise, so you can get some practice in to bring proficiency up. Later on you can decide if you want to move up in caliber, even though it's not really necessary. Guns don't depreciate much.

For what it's worth, I've had a SIG P226 (with rail) for over a year now, and have no problems with the quality. It shoots straight and doesn't stop shooting. One failure in 2500 shots, and that was the ammo's fault. I recommend it if you want that type of trigger. I also like Glocks very much. Neither of them are great for people with small hands, IMO.

Jak1
08-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Don't rule out an XD by PPT.

AlliedArmory
08-15-2009, 12:53 PM
those are all very different guns. do you want a full size?

if so, i would go with the Kimber no doubt. everyone needs to own a 1911

next xhoice would be the Sig P229 since its compact

Legasat
08-15-2009, 1:15 PM
You have selected a wide variety of pistols. Different price ranges, different calibers, different capacities, etc.

The truth is, any of these guns (or many others) will likely suit you just fine (depends on the purpose you are buying it for).

You really need to go rent a few, and see which ones you shoot the best, feel the best, and make a decision based on facts, not on specs or what anyone else thinks.

2 years ago, I bought my first pistol in over 20 years. I have bought 3 since, but used the same methodology. On the first one, I spent 2 months and rented over 20 pistols. I picked the best 3, and shot them again, then bought one.

I ended up with a Smith & Wesson M&P (not what I was expecting to purchase). But I shot it very well, it was the most comfortable, and it was the right pistol for me. How do you really know without shooting it?

I strongly recommend you go shoot a few, then decide.

Just my $0.02.

trickyvic
08-15-2009, 1:30 PM
Stamped slide 226 9mm!

00BuckShot
08-15-2009, 1:36 PM
I agree with legasat.

Your choices are all over the place and depending on your intended use the choice for you might not be the most popular recomendation. I have 2 1911's and I love them. I just picked up the SR9 because I wanted a hicap 9mm and it fit my hand and reminded me of my other 1911's. I own a sig but it's an older one and their reliability on current production has been questioned a lot around here. The PX4 is also a great fit for me and I have rented one a few times and I liked it...I just liked the SR9 better for my last purchase.

Rent them, touch them, feel them, shoot them and drool on them. Only then will YOU know which one is right for YOU. Don't take our word for it, you'd be just another groupie follower with a gun that you may not like to shoot.

hawk1
08-15-2009, 5:33 PM
I voted Kimber 1911 TLE/RL II

MallNinja
08-15-2009, 5:51 PM
Man... I love 1911's and SR9's but if this is going to be your primary self defense weapon, I'd recommend something that's as reliable as the sun rises on the east. A Glock or an HK.

sholling
08-15-2009, 5:57 PM
Looking at your list and your description of your skills and requirements I say none of the above.

Kimber: This is a no go and here is why:

1)I'm a huge 1911 fan but IMO it's not a great choice for a beginners unless you have the time and ammo budget to master the Stradivarius of handguns and 45acp ammo has become scarce and expensive and that cuts into practice. On the plus side premium 45acp rounds will stop a fight like no other - but only if you practice enough to become proficient enough to hit what you're aiming at.

2)Kimber does not have a good reputation for quality control. I'm not a basher and own two Kimbers but I've been shooting 1911s for 30 years. If you must have a 1911 then you are far far far better off with an ultra reliable Springfield Armory "loaded".

I don't know enough about the Beretta to judge.

I'd give Ruger one more year to shake out any issues before relying on the SR9.

Sigs are out of the question. Don't get me wrong Sig makes good stuff but their DA/SA trigger is an accidental discharge waiting to happen unless you really have the time to master the transition. The 1st shot is a long heavy (10lb) pull and the 2nd is a shot 4.5lb pull. What happens way too often is that the second shot accidentally goes into the ceiling - not good for anybody in the room above the badguy. Not a good choice for a first self defense pistol unless you have the time and ammo to master that transition. I've been shooting pistols for 45 years and won't depend on a DA/SA pistol for self defense.

My suggestion is a Smith & Wesson M&P in your favorite size and caliber. They handle like a 1911 but are a more modern super reliable design backed by world class service and a lifetime warranty. The trigger is consistent pull to pull, and with superb ergonomics and interchangeable backstraps make for pistol that will fit any hand perfectly. Finally the price is affordable leaving room in the budget to buy enough ammo to get up to speed.

Finally I highly recommend that you invest in training.

Mister BLASTEE
08-15-2009, 6:01 PM
Funny that the OP ruled out Glocks for cosmetic reasons! Forget about the reliabilty and ease of maintenence. LOL but my suggestion is to narrow down your selection to about 3 or 4 and try them out at one of the local ranges. Pick the one that is most comfortable to you and not the one that looks badass in the movies ;)

zx10r203
08-15-2009, 7:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. And a lot of you have some very good points.

The primary use of my gun will be for self defense and target shooting. I will be going to the range tomorrow and plan on renting a few different one to see what the results are and what they feel like.

So he is why I chose some of these.
Kimber: A friend of mine has one and I got the hold it for a while and it felt good. The grip size and fit was great. It also has a .22rl conversion available to cut down on ammo costs when it comes time to go to the range.

PX4 Storm: I like the way gun looks and the fieldstripping of the gun was very easy. 99% of the reviews I have read say that it is a great gun. Very reliable, easy to handle, comes in 9mm cutting cost down for range time, I am left handed so easy controls.

SR9: All the same reasons as the PX4.

Sig P229 and P226: Have not had a chance of shooting either but hopefully tomorrow. Heard they were really good handguns. I was not aware of the recent quality control issues so I will scratch that off the list.

But after reading some reviews on the smith & wesson M&P I am going to add it to the list. Will shoot it at the range tomorrow and see how it feels and fits.

I do like the reliability and track record of the Glock but don't like the looks. Too plain for me and I don't mean the lack of controls but looks of the gun just doesn't do it for me. Yes, it is light, reliable, accurate, affordable, unbreakable, simple to operate, simple to fieldstrip,... but if I am going to spend my hard earned cash I might as well get something I am going to be happy with. How knows, if none of these guns that I like work for me, I actually like the glock. If that is the case, it will be the 17 or 34.

hybridatsun350
08-15-2009, 7:17 PM
Wait... you don't want a Glock because they aren't as pretty as you'd like? I thought you were looking for a gun to use as a possible home defense weapon? If I were currently looking for a HD gun, I would be looking for the simplest and most reliable handgun I could get my hands on. When you grab it you want it to just work. That means no need to flip a safety or rack a slide. 1911's are awesome weapons, but they require a measurable amount of training and practice to master and understand. If I have to use a gun when I'm half-asleep at 2:00am, I don't want to be worrying whether I flipped the safety off or if I did in fact chamber a round and leave the gun cocked and locked. Basically, what I'm trying to say is "Keep it simple, stupid." :D

That being said, I voted other because the M&P and Glock are both excellent choices and would not let you down.

sholling
08-15-2009, 7:18 PM
But after reading some reviews on the smith & wesson M&P I am going to add it to the list. Will shoot it at the range tomorrow and see how it feels and fits.

I do like the reliability and track record of the Glock but don't like the looks. Too plain for me and I don't mean the lack of controls but looks of the gun just doesn't do it for me. Yes, it is light, reliable, accurate, affordable, unbreakable, simple to operate, simple to fieldstrip,... but if I am going to spend my hard earned cash I might as well get something I am going to be happy with. How knows, if none of these guns that I like work for me, I actually like the glock. If that is the case, it will be the 17 or 34.
Don't let the Glock kool-aid drinkers get to you. The M&P is every bit as accurate and reliable and is being adopted by police departments all over the country and some federal agencies. It has all of the pluses of the Glock but much better ergonomics.

A 1911 will make you a fine second purchase and they belong in every collection. Just note that the 22 conversion kit will set you back about $300. For that you can pick up a Browning Buck Mark as a companion to your new M&P. That gives you cheap practice and something for your spouse to shoot when the two of you go to the range.

Also do invest in some training. If you're in the southern third of the state then I recommend FirearmsTraining.com (http://www.firearmstraining.com/).

Parabellus
08-15-2009, 8:26 PM
+1 on the Springfield Armory M1911-A1 line. Their customer service is highly regarded. They make a wide range of very reliable pistols including some in 9mm. As a certain Deputy has quoted though, 'A 9mm might expand but a .45 will not shrink.' I suggest the .45 and invest in some Wilson Combat 10-round magazines to bring you up to the legal limit. They load like butter and feed reliably too. Beware of the ~4 lb. trigger on this single action classic. Always keep the safety engaged until you have something to shoot at....paper or protoplasm.:eek:

If you decide on 9mm for economic or relative recoil then try Walther P99 before you put your money down for any of the others. It comes in several flavors including a DA/SA trigger called P99 AS. The other popular trigger is the P99 QA with what is called a Glock-like partially cocked mode. Unlike the AS it will not fire when de-cocked. There are also compact versions of both AS and QA systems. They all can be had in 9mm or .40S&W. Just be sure to get one made after 2003 because the older ones have a proprietary rail that greatly limits your options.:rolleyes:

As for Glocks, besides being ugly, why have a gun with magazines that require a tool or extraordinary strength to load?:chris:

10ring
08-15-2009, 8:26 PM
It is the one that fits you. Like a number of reply's here based on people who have gone through this before.
It is important to realize that Home Defense and Target Shooting have different requirements.
I faced a similar decision you have here. I decided to go the Home Defense route and ended up with a Glock model 22 (40 cal). I learned how to shoot it and became pretty proficient. Along the way I found that I really enjoyed shooting. So I added to my collection.
Glock was never my first choice, but that firearm fits me and I can hit whatever I need to with it in total confidence.
The only other piece of advice I will add... Make sure you get a safe large enough to house your collection. It can become very difficult to just own one.
Good Luck, renting/shooting a number of different firearms is money well spent.

swerv512
08-15-2009, 9:04 PM
1911- get a TRP...
or get an HK USP 45

eduran
08-15-2009, 9:13 PM
I voted for the 1911...when I shot one for the first time...could not believe how accurate they shot (at least for me).

I also recommend renting a Glock...I've had mine since 94 and its been so reliable and easy to maintain. just my 2 cents.

Z ME FLY
08-15-2009, 9:20 PM
OTHER SHOTGUN FTW

Chach
08-15-2009, 9:54 PM
Sig 226 is an excellent pistol, but have you thought about an FNP or Hi-Power? FN is another excellent handgun manufacturer and IMO the grips are incredible.

As others have said, I'd recommend going to a few local ranges and trying out a variety of handguns, see which fits you (and anyone else that may be using it) best.

locosway
08-15-2009, 10:04 PM
The Kimber is a nice looking gun but it seems they have some quality control issues, and quite frankly I wouldn't trust my life to them until proven otherwise.

I rented a Storm and I hated it, so did the other guy I was with. So I wouldn't even go that route.

Honestly, I'm a Glock person now. However I do love the 1911's. You did mention Sig, so perhaps you should explore that avenue a bit more. In all fairness you should list Glock on your list as well. :)

Go to a range and rent some guns. What looks good in a magazine doesn't always shoot good in your hands. Get some time on each gun and see which ones you like and then go from there.

zx10r203
08-16-2009, 9:14 PM
Well I went to the range today with a friend and we spend about 3 hours there and a good chunk of money. Shot a total of 5 different guns.
Here are my takes on them.

Kimber 1911 .45 - This was my friends gun. Nice crisp trigger pull, felt a little on the heavy side, and the grip felt a little thin. My shots were all over the target. I think that a .45 is a little too much and with a $1200 price tag, it won't leave any funds left for any accessories. Not to mention $28.00 for a box of ammo. OUCH!!! I put 100 rounds through it with one FTE.

S&W M&P9 9mm - This was rented at the range. Shot 200 rounds with no FTF or FTE. The grip and ergonomics felt perfect. Fit like a glove. The sights left a little to be desired of but with the recoil of the 9mm my shots grouped a lot better. Think gun had me smiling after every shot. Since I am left handed this gun fits me better. 2 thumbs up for this one.

Glock 17 9mm - Also rented from the range. Shot 200 rounds with no FTF or FTE. The grip felt ok and I really liked the weight of the gun. The sights were great. A lot better than the M&P. After a few shots I noticed a problem for my since I am left handed. The mag release on the glock was digging into my middle finger (close to the webbing) with every shot fired. Did not feel good. I traded it in for another G17 and it did the same thing. All in all the glock 17 felt petty good. The groupings were decent, about the same as the M&P.

Glock 35 .40 - Also rented at the range. Also shot 100 round but had one FTE but no FTFs. Liked the weight and sights. Like the G17 shots grouped better than the 1911 but not as good as the G17 or M&P. Also with the G35, the mag release was eating my finger raw. But other wise was pretty happy with it.

Sig P226 9mm - Rented at the range and shot 100 rounds. Weight was ok but the ergonomics did not feel too comfortable. Had FTEs and no FTF. The controls felt good and in good locations like the Glock and S&W but my shots were spaced out a lot more than the Glocks and M&P.

So here is my conclusion. My wrists are weak and I got to work them out. So I will go with a 9mm for more control and cheaper ammo there for more range time thus improving my shooting. I am between a Glock 17 or 34 (even though I did not shoot a 34) and the S&W M&P9. These 2 felt the best. The M&P fit like a glove but the glock had better sights out of the box. If I do go with a Glock hopefully I can may be smooth off any sharp edges on the mag release so that it doesn't leave the inside of my finger raw!!

During these test I did not look a the gun's look but the way it felt and performed for me.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions!!

locosway
08-16-2009, 9:23 PM
Looks have a habit of growing on you when you know the gun works and fits you perfectly... :) I know, because I own a Glock.. ;)

Sounds like you had a good run, but you didn't test the XD from Springfield. Instead of going and renting it, maybe just run down to the gun store and hold it. See how it feels. If it's a good fit then go rent one. If not then move on.

There are a lot of Glock accessories. Glockworld.com is where I usually shop, and they do have an extended magazine release that's rounded. Even though it's extended the rounded edges might be comfortable.

sholling
08-16-2009, 9:27 PM
The sights on the M&P are Novak and may not be what you're used. If use can't get used to them there are plenty of others on the aftermarket to choose from. However if it were me I'd use the factory night sights for home defense. Since you're a southpaw it may interest you that the mag release is reversible. Also keep in mind that the grip size is adjustable by changing inserts. You can even get a crimson trace laser to replace back strap. Anyway here's a link (http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?act=idx) to the fan site.

Mister BLASTEE
08-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Glad to hear about your findings. Good luck on your first purchase! And just remember it won't be your last

Sam
08-16-2009, 10:32 PM
My wrists are weak and I got to work them out.

I'm sort of a big guy, 6'2 about 200 pounds and I have thin arms and not exactly strong wrists. I'm not some natural sharpshooter but with good technique, some instruction and a little bit of practice I was able to become combat accurate fairly quickly with the .45acp. I've gotten girls who are lighter than me, smaller than me and with weaker upper bodies to become comfortable and accurate enough with my 1911s within a couple of hours of their first range visit. If you actually like the 9mm round better than the others, fine, but I don't buy it when people say that they can't control the .45 acp round, especially in an all steel 1911.

dchang0
08-16-2009, 10:35 PM
None of the above. MOVE. Yes, I mean it--move out of that neighborhood. The way neighborhoods go, they go downhill for several decades before turning around, and the fact of the matter is that you won't always be around to actually use your gun when it needs to be used.

For instance, I had thought that being well-armed would protect my home against burglary. Who would've thought the burglars would be well-organized and patient enough to wait for everyone to leave the home before breaking in, stealing one of my rifles in the process? Sure blew my assumptions out of the water...

Best thing to do is to move to a safer neighborhood where the chances of a break-in are as low as possible. Where you're at, the criminals are just going to keep pulling the "slot machine's arm" until they hit the jackpot.

Do everything you can to survive and thrive, including buying that gun, getting a dog, getting an alarm system, and getting the hell outta a neighborhood in decline.

Rekrab
08-17-2009, 12:02 AM
I agree with dchang...

However, nothing wrong with getting into shooting!

I actually purchased a Beretta PX4 as my first gun. I purchased it in .40 and I've been very pleased with it after 1,250 rounds. However, I'm not as accurate as I am with my 1911 in .45.

The PX4 is a stellar gun, very reliable and lots of fun to shoot. .40 is a little more expensive than 9mm, but it's still pretty affordable as a plinking round. The recoil on it is very manageable(especially through the PX4).

zcrehan
08-17-2009, 1:23 AM
I agree you ought to consider moving if possible.

Also let me fill you in on an excellent weapon not on your list.

The SigPro 2022 (9mm or .40)

http://lundestudio.com/thumbnail/sp2022-left-full.jpg

I personally own one, and I like it, a lot. The grip is a bit wide (I have smaller hands than you) but I still shoot it just fine and actually like the ergonomics that way.

Some points.
It's cheap, 550$ or so new.
It is accurate.
It is very easy to break down and clean.
It is reliable, I have not had a single issue at all, can't say that about most guns.
Very rugged, strong, well thought out construction.
It's a SiG!
It's polymer
The decocker is not ambidextrous, there is no safety, the magazine release is ambi.
It looks good.

Oh, and lets not forget about the most buttery smooth 10lb trigger you will probably ever use.

Here is a Wikipedia page on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Pro

Here is an EXCELLENT FAQ on the SigPro put together by fellow CalGunner Dr. Ken Lunde
http://lundestudio.com/SigProFAQ/

RollingCode3
08-17-2009, 2:00 AM
I voted for a glock 17. I bought the glock 17 as my first handgun 6 years ago. I have put over 8000 rounds and i only had two FTEs. Glock replacement parts are cheap and can be purchased online.

cineski
08-17-2009, 6:37 AM
Another vote for the XD9. Not too far off from the XDm you wanted.

gumby
08-17-2009, 8:01 AM
I chose OTHER; sigpro 2022 or p-250. Both have been excellent for me.

IPSICK
08-17-2009, 8:17 AM
I'll recommend the G17 or the SP2022. As for the mag release digging into your finger you could file down the corners. BTW, I'm a lefty also and did this with my G19. I use to own a SiGPro and that is one gun I regret selling.

Old Timer
08-17-2009, 8:30 AM
You liked the M&P. It fit your hand well. You shot it accurately. It is possibly the best bang for the buck on the market. What's not to like? Buy the M&P! :)

PorkLover
08-17-2009, 8:50 AM
i'd go with the glock.....best value for your money and you can use the rest of your money for ammo and training.....good luck either way....do you have an alarm for your home?......

Legasat
08-17-2009, 9:07 AM
Good for you! Going to the range is the ONLY way to buy a gun.

The M&P has Novak sights. Some people like them, some not so much. The sights are changeable on most guns. I prefer Night Sights anyway.

The M&P is a fine choice, as are others you mentioned. The M&P is priced right, has a lifetime warranty, and Smith & Wesson has the best customer Service in the industry!

Good luck with your decision.

mcsoupman
08-17-2009, 6:20 PM
I have 2 9mms. My first was a Taurus PT99. I still love it. Eats everything I have put in it, good weight and decent accuracy. I then bought a M&P and I enjoy the feel, but my accuracy is not as good.

GunLover
08-17-2009, 6:27 PM
I have owned a huge amount of handguns in the past and my all time favorite is the P226r. I have owned three 226 pistols in the past. I now own 2 226r and 2 229s. If i had to have one pistol it would be a p226r in 9mm with 18 rnd flush mount mags to go with it.