View Full Version : What's legality of upgrading pistol receiver?

09-20-2005, 2:18 PM
I have an old Glock 19 pistol and noticed Glockmeister.com offers a replacement receiver. The deal is you have to send in your old receiver, they strip all internal parts off it and install them on a brand new receiver. They have to destroy the old receiver and the new one you receive has a different serial number.

It sounds like a great way to update an old Glock but are there any additional legal requirements/paperwork that has to be dealt with when doing this--especially in California? Thanks.

09-20-2005, 2:40 PM
Are you saying you wore out a G19 receiver?

09-20-2005, 2:59 PM
Nope, I'm saying $155 to upgrade the receiver to finger grooves, thumb rest and light rail isn't a bad deal.

09-20-2005, 4:19 PM
I'm pretty sure that's going to have to be sent back to you to a CA FFL and ou are going to have to DROS and wait - since it will have a new serial number.

09-20-2005, 5:28 PM
RUMPLED is right, S.A. replaced my 1911 frame, new gun, new DROS, 10 day wait, although it is exempt from the one handgun in 30 day restriction.

09-22-2005, 8:16 AM
How does that work? You make arrangements with a local FFL to receive the pistol? It sounds like you're "transferring" it to yourself in a way.

09-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Think of it more as a trade. You sell them yours, and they sell you a new one for the same price. You have to DROS the new one.