PDA

View Full Version : 155gr JHP & FMJ... will firing feel exactly the same?

Charles4400
08-14-2009, 10:23 PM
As a followup to an earlier question of most indoor ranges not allowing JHP to be fired...

If you have the same grain size within a certain caliber...will the feel of firing be different if you were to fire a JHP vs. FMJ or feel exactly the same? (the feel of firing the round that is not being hit by one!)

I plan on getting .40 155gr JHPs for home protection but if going to an indoor range which doesn't allow JHP would think that I would by FMJs of the same grain to get the same feel...

Would this mak sense...or it doesn't work that way?

BigRich
08-14-2009, 10:30 PM
If you have the same velocity for both rounds then the recoil sensation should be close enough that you won't notice any difference.

Charles4400
08-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks Bigrich that makes sense...finally found some reason for looking at the velocity charts from the manufactuer!

MarioS
08-15-2009, 11:43 PM
What indoor range doesn't let you shoot JHP? All the indoor ranges I've been to allow it, and they even nodded their heads in agreement when I said I was testing out some of the HD JHP rounds for function and cycling.

Anyway, there really shouldn't be any difference at all. I practice with 180gr. FMJ all the time and I want to say I can notice a bit of difference going to the 155gr. and 165gr. JHP loads, but it's not even nearly significant enough to affect your accuracy or recovery.

Charles4400
08-15-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm in the LA area and LA Gun Club Doesn't allow it:
http://www.thelosangelesgunclub.com/rules.html

Oak tree gun club also doesn't allow it and they are outdoor
(no rules on website but read on another forum that someone called and they didn't allow it)

Firing Line shooting range also doesnt allow it
(would link but think their server is down right now)

I havent actually brought any ammo into a shooting range yet so don't know if this is ever enforced or what...just reading the rules and what they have posted.

Anyone ever been stopped from firing hollowpints or bringing them in the ranges that don't allow it?

MarioS
08-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Weird. I've never had a problem up here. Sorry to hear that.

Charles4400
08-16-2009, 1:03 AM
Ya it blows...but at least there are some ranges that do which others have posted.... though they are pretty far from where I live, it gives an excuse to check out another firing range!

SCMA-1
08-16-2009, 9:37 AM
Yeah, lots of SoCal ranges don't allow JHP, semi-jacketed or soft point type ammo, only FMJ, copper plated or full lead.:rolleyes: That's why I primarily shoot at Insight Shooting Range in Artesia and SoCal Sharpshooter in Torrance, both of these ranges are very relaxed and allow any kind of ammo. Insight allows shotguns but you must purchase their birdshot loads to fire. Sharpshooter is cool because you can shoot shotguns AND use your own loads (including buckshot) except for slugs.

SCMA-1

Charles4400
08-16-2009, 1:17 PM
Great thanks for those range references SCMA-1!

SCMA-1
08-16-2009, 1:24 PM
Great thanks for those range references SCMA-1!

Here's Insight's website with info:

http://insightrangeinc.com/

Sharpshooter's website:

http://www.wix.com/capo689/sharpshooter

SCMA-1

Cato
08-16-2009, 1:40 PM
JHP will usally have more recoil then FMJ. That is because JHP is usually used for self defense (or offense). Manufacturers load it with more powder for better performance. FMJ is more often made for practice and the makers skimp on the powder charge. It could be also that folks shoot hundreds of rounds and it's easier on one's wrists. I've noticed that with a new gun (my Sigs, for example) the slide won't lock back due to underpowered FJM practice rounds like Winchester White Box. Once my springs are broken in, they lock back fine.

I don't know why ranges don't allow JHP. Hollow points are less likely to wear out their backstop. Perhaps they want to make money on their customers by selling them overpriced JHP while they test their HD weapons?

roc
08-16-2009, 1:50 PM
Yeah, lots of SoCal ranges don't allow JHP, semi-jacketed or soft point type ammo, only FMJ, copper plated or full lead.:rolleyes: That's why I primarily shoot at Insight Shooting Range in Artesia and SoCal Sharpshooter in Torrance, both of these ranges are very relaxed and allow any kind of ammo. Insight allows shotguns but you must purchase their birdshot loads to fire. Sharpshooter is cool because you can shoot shotguns AND use your own loads (including buckshot) except for slugs.

SCMA-1

sharpshooter is cool when it comes to what you can shoot but boy is the place a dump....