PDA

View Full Version : HK USP EXPERT .45

Steve G
08-14-2009, 12:00 PM
The recent add at Turner's for the HK USP Expert for $999.00 has me tempted! Great price and I have been looking at these for a while! Anyone have first hand experience with this pistol? Thanks for all replies and suggestions!

aplinker
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
I had one I sold.

It's a very accurate pistol.

It's still a USP .45, though - even with the match trigger, which is still creepy and mushy. Ergonomics are great if you think a brick is comfortable to hold. It's also pretty big and bulky - not the length, but the overall size is large.

I liked it, but not enough to keep it - I put it toward more 1911's.

At $999 it's a good deal, though. They've been above that for a few years.

Elucidus
08-14-2009, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't use it as a defense gun, but it's a smooth shooting, accurate pistol with a nice trigger. The sights don't acquire quickly (target style)

Dangerous1
08-14-2009, 1:12 PM
I don't see why you couldn't use it as a defense gun. :confused:

rips31
08-14-2009, 3:12 PM
it's not a bad gun. it's basically an uspf .45 with an extended bbl/slide. i'm not too fond of either the expert or the elite (i have both). but that's a good price. and if you like hk's, then you should probably get it.

den888
08-15-2009, 7:42 AM
I was down in the LA area last few days and visited a Turner's yesterday. They had sold out of the Expert at that store and in order to fulfill a sale, move the gun from other stores in their network.

Turners had a nice selection - I saw a lot of Glocks, S&W's, Rugers etc

Greg-Dawg
08-15-2009, 7:47 AM
It's good, go buy it NOW!!!

B Strong
08-15-2009, 8:03 AM
The recent add at Turner's for the HK USP Expert for $999.00 has me tempted! Great price and I have been looking at these for a while! Anyone have first hand experience with this pistol? Thanks for all replies and suggestions!

That's a hell of a price.

I got mine w/ adjustable nights for (iirc) 1100.00 a few years back, so that price isn't bad.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/7668/taclighted45s.jpg

As UCLA noted, it ain't a 1911, but once I wrapped my head around the trigger I was able to go through the failure drill as about as fast as I can with a good tuned 1911.

Greg-Dawg
08-15-2009, 8:20 AM
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/7668/taclighted45s.jpg

I thought I was the only one with a discontinued Surefire military light:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/G27Surefire001.jpg

B Strong
08-15-2009, 8:23 AM
I thought I was the only one with a discontinued Surefire military light:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/G27Surefire001.jpg

My Brother!

I like the add-on Surefire. Works well, bright as hell.

Steve G
08-15-2009, 9:27 AM
The Surefire light is bigger than the gun!

SCMA-1
08-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I had one I sold.

It's a very accurate pistol.

It's still a USP .45, though - even with the match trigger, which is still creepy and mushy. Ergonomics are great if you think a brick is comfortable to hold. It's also pretty big and bulky - not the length, but the overall size is large.

I liked it, but not enough to keep it - I put it toward more 1911's.

At $999 it's a good deal, though. They've been above that for a few years.

I was dead set on purchasing an Expert 45 based on my affinity for HK weapons, and it's reputation for reliability and accuracy. I went to the Raahauge's Shooting Sports Fair that year and decided to try out the Expert before I made the purchase. Needless to say, I refrained from the purchase after shooting the Expert. Just like your experience, I found the thing poor in ergonomics, unnecessarily bulky, and the "match trigger" was something I would never claim to be match grade. For the price back then, you could have yourself lots of far better handling guns including real match grade 1911's custom built for you.

SCMA-1

MallNinja
08-15-2009, 4:12 PM
I was dead set on purchasing an Expert 45 based on my affinity for HK weapons, and it's reputation for reliability and accuracy. I went to the Raahauge's Shooting Sports Fair that year and decided to try out the Expert before I made the purchase. Needless to say, I refrained from the purchase after shooting the Expert. Just like your experience, I found the thing poor in ergonomics, unnecessarily bulky, and the "match trigger" was something I would never claim to be match grade. For the price back then, you could have yourself lots of far better handling guns including real match grade 1911's custom built for you.

SCMA-1

I love it when people compare 1911's to a USP. :rolleyes:

SCMA-1
08-15-2009, 5:19 PM
I love it when people compare 1911's to a USP. :rolleyes:

I'm not comparing 1911's to a USP; check your comprehension. I'm saying back then, the cost of an HK Expert from a pure performance standpoint didn't warrant it's cost because you could have a 1911 custom built for less cost that would easily outperform it. Of course, if you are not a competitive/combative marksman, it would be difficult to sell you on this. There's a reason why 1911 shooters compete in a different division than someone who would use an HK Expert.

SCMA-1

problemchild
08-15-2009, 5:27 PM
I'm not comparing 1911's to a USP; check your comprehension. I'm saying back then, the cost of an HK Expert from a pure performance standpoint didn't warrant it's cost because you could have a 1911 custom built for less cost that would easily outperform it. Of course, if you are not a competitive/combative marksman, it would be difficult to sell you on this. There's a reason why 1911 shooters compete in a different division than someone who would use an HK Expert.

SCMA-1

Well I have a lowly hk45 non-expert and for the price (799) there isnt a 1911 that can touch it. Never jams, fast, great trigger, reliable, did I mention never jams and very very accurate. I have owned near every 1911 made and did not like any of them. Now if you want to float me 5000 dollars for a race gun maybe I would change my mind. But you cant buy a race gun for 800 can you?

http://mkdgallery.com/RENO%20SHOOT/gunpics/match_t.jpg

MallNinja
08-15-2009, 5:37 PM

SCMA-1

Yup. No matter how much I love a Z06, it's not gonna hold a candle against an F1 open wheeler.

But like Problemchild said, it'd be a cold day in hell when an HK jams. Btw, I've shot plenty of both to know that, personally, I'm more accurate with an HK. Even a bone stock, bare bones model with the creepy trigger.

HURLEYGO3
08-15-2009, 6:02 PM
Well I picked up the last one Turners had in the warehouse. So in ten days I find out how I like HK's. For that price I couldn't pass it up.

SCMA-1
08-15-2009, 6:18 PM
Well I have a lowly hk45 non-expert and for the price (799) there isnt a 1911 that can touch it. Never jams, fast, great trigger, reliable, did I mention never jams and very very accurate. I have owned near every 1911 made and did not like any of them. Now if you want to float me 5000 dollars for a race gun maybe I would change my mind. But you cant buy a race gun for 800 can you?

http://mkdgallery.com/RENO%20SHOOT/gunpics/match_t.jpg

It's my understanding the HK45 is the latest generation of 45 ACP pistol by HK which is based on the USP/Expert but much improved with many of the P30 refinements incorporated. It's by all accounts a better pistol and less costly to boot; definitely one I am interested in evaluating (would have this year but the Rauhaauge's Shooting Sports Fair was canceled this year as a result of the ammunition shortage). I'm not sure why you would call it "lowly"; makes no sense to me.

Back when the Expert was originally released, you could easily have a very competitive limited division gun built up for you for similar price. I currently own a handful of HK firearms and my experience with them in general has been that they are robustly built and boringly reliable, but they are generally bulky and the ergonomics leave much to be desired and this is the case even with their rifles. The newer generations of their guns show improvements over the former.

SCMA-1

SNEAKS
08-16-2009, 12:46 AM
If you want an accurate .45acp you will never beat a 1911.:patriot:

RT13
08-16-2009, 1:11 PM
I love my Expert45. For the price Turner's has them, I would be all over it. The Expert is a great gun but I hate hearing lots of whining about the match trigger and barrel and so forth. All HK's have the same trigger but you can tweak the Expert's if you dare. And the fact that it has the adjustable sights, tighter fitting match barrel, adjustable trigger makes it worth it for me and more than a regular USP45. I once owned a USP45 and sold it, I regretted it and ended up wanting an Expert just to be a bit different from everyone who had USP's. USP's are running around $850-$900 and for $150 more for the Expert it's a no brainer. I love the adjustable sights and looks of the Expert. HK's are HK's. If you have tiny hands, its definitely not for you. I have large hands they still sometimes feel a tad big but easy to shoot and control. Ergos are subjective and like I said, if your hand is medium to small don't even pick one up, you might hurt yourself.:p The size is not for everybody. I would still have one over a 1911 for it's price range. The P220ST is the only other out of the box 45 that outshoots my Expert but as others have mentioned, HK's don't hiccup like other guns do. They are probably the most reliable guns ad built like tanks for a polymer pistol. If their triggers were only as smooth as Sigs, it would be heaven. Get yourself one at that price. The Expert45 is getting rarer to find. As with all HK's, they are super reliable, super accurate, and super expensive. So $999 is a great price for it.

714falcon
08-16-2009, 4:12 PM
I got one yesterday at Turners in Orange. 1 other guy there after me doing the same, so not suprised if they went fast. For the price, great buy, could not pass it up, like HurleyGo3 said.

Turners did have a pretty good handgun selection in the counter. It was pretty thin there a while back.