PDA

View Full Version : Calguns Outreach - Q&A Town Hall Meetings Coming to a City Near You!

wildhawker
08-13-2009, 9:35 PM
In light of the substantial number of emails and PMs from Calgunners expressing interest in volunteering and the upcoming wave of outreach efforts, I'm going to make a tour of the state in the upcoming weeks to hold small "town hall" gatherings where we can meet each other, discuss goals, brainstorm and hopefully answer some of your questions as relate to these efforts.

To gauge where our limited resources and time could be best utilized, please take part in the poll and let us know if this is something that you feel would benefit you and others you know who are or may be involved. We're also looking for venues, so let us know if you know of anything that would work.

Your consideration is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to visiting with you soon!

-Brandon

7x57
08-13-2009, 10:07 PM
'm going to make a tour of the state in the upcoming weeks to hold small "town hall" gatherings....

Now you've done it. Gotta start making protest signs and crib sheets of protest chants right away. :43:

Or should we handle it differently than when our representatives tell us it's treason to question them? ;)

You know, the crib sheet is a good idea. If only the Town Hall people were that organized. I think the other side is....

Wait. Weren't we talking about Calguns or something? :p

7x57

dantodd
08-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Maybe Chris Matthews will interview people who OC to these town gall meetings....

7x57
08-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Maybe Chris Matthews will interview people who OC to these town gall meetings....

Hey, great idea. Can we have them out in the sticks so we can all LOC while we meet?

7x57

dantodd
08-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Hey, great idea. Can we have them out in the sticks so we can all LOC while we meet?

7x57

Yeah, like Brandon's job isn't hard enough! Please find LOC friendly locations in LA, Orange and San Mateo Counties.

POLICESTATE
08-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Maybe instead of UOC of real firearms we have our holsters with voter registration cards stuffed in them. Maybe even folded into the shape of a handgun!

dantodd
08-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Sorry for completely derailing your thread Brandon. I'm in a bit of a spry mood tonight.

I will be happy to attend your Peninsula Town Hall and if you need logistical help on any of the others in this area let me know, I here to help.

7x57
08-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah, like Brandon's job isn't hard enough! Please find LOC friendly locations in LA, Orange and San Mateo Counties.

Private range at Burro. :D

We can not only LOC, we can LOC while BBQing behind the firing line. ;)

7x57

ivanimal
08-13-2009, 10:48 PM
I am available for most of these Brandon.

wildhawker
08-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Private range at Burro. :D

We can not only LOC, we can LOC while BBQing behind the firing line. ;)

7x57

This would be ideal, actually. Would this be convenient enough for LA and IE people to combine into a Shoot-n-Q style event? Where would this put the OC (besides on Fox)?

jdberger
08-13-2009, 11:02 PM
I could be available for most of them, too.

maybe, if it's ok with SWMBO.

East Bay could be held at my house, assuming less than 50 people.

7x57
08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
This would be ideal, actually. Would this be convenient enough for LA and IE people to combine into a Shoot-n-Q style event?

Burro and Angeles are the two closest outdoor ranges to LA. IE has at least another choice or two but I don't think they are radically more convenient than Burro. So if it becomes a Shoot-n-Q, Burro would be the best place to be. They're also easy about private range rentals and will pretty much let you do whatever you want.

Where would this put the OC (besides on Fox)?

I don't think they have an outdoor range closer either, given that I know an OC trainer who often uses Burro. LA basin seems to be an unfriendly place for outdoor ranges. It might be feasible to combine all three--but that would involve plenty of driving. The question is whether a shoot-n-Q will attract enough people to compensate for the driving. If so, this is the way to go.

7x57

wildhawker
08-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Whatever we do, we want to make sure it's accessible to the (current and future) volunteers and coordinators. That may mean a few stops on a road trip, which I'm ok with.

microstencil
08-14-2009, 5:19 AM
Let me know when you are ready for San Diego. I have an office we can use depending on the size of the group. We can also BBQ and I don't care if anyone UOC as I will be CCW myself. There is an indoor range not to far away and I can see if we can have a shoot out after the meeting.

gcrtkd
08-14-2009, 5:42 AM
I feel a thrill going up my leg.

wildhawker
08-14-2009, 6:30 AM
Let me know when you are ready for San Diego. I have an office we can use depending on the size of the group. We can also BBQ and I don't care if anyone UOC as I will be CCW myself. There is an indoor range not to far away and I can see if we can have a shoot out after the meeting.

Depending on how the meeting goes, maybe we should have the shootout before. :p

This would be fantastic Gary, thanks for once again stepping up and taking the lead.

SeanCasey
08-14-2009, 6:54 AM
I like the Burro Canyn Shoot-n-Q idea!

jdberger
08-14-2009, 6:54 AM
The San Leandro Davis Street range is also just a few minutes from my house.

vladbutsky
08-14-2009, 7:34 AM
I'm available for San Jose/SF bay area.
I tried to contact my representatives and find theis palns for townhall meetings but no luck so far. I guess theay are scared to meet with people now :43:

Does anyone know the schedule for the Bay Area?

7x57
08-14-2009, 8:06 AM
Whatever we do, we want to make sure it's accessible to the (current and future) volunteers and coordinators. That may mean a few stops on a road trip, which I'm ok with.

You could do the shoot-n-Q and then have another meeting at some Southerly location for those who don't want to drive North. My guess is that for Burro it doesn't matter which county they're in but rather how far North or South they are. Maybe somewhere around Long Beach would split the difference for South LA county and OC?

7x57

CHS
08-14-2009, 8:43 AM
I'm in OC and Burro is still a good place for me. I should be able to make the time for something like this :)

MrClamperSir
08-14-2009, 8:45 AM
Let me know the whens and wheres. East Bay or Chico.

Davidoff
08-14-2009, 9:06 AM
If there is a meeting anywhere between the East Bay to Sacramento I'll be there.

7x57
08-14-2009, 9:26 AM
Wildhawker,

What is the timeframe for this? I might be willing to be responsible for getting the range, if others organize the food and such.

7x57

curtisfong
08-14-2009, 9:26 AM
I'm in as long as it is 2A centric. I am uninterested in "outreach" in any other politics.

FastFinger
08-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Definitely interested in attending a Los Angeles area meeting.

However in these politically charged times I think it's best we keep details about the meetings quiet and on a need to know basis. We don't want a bunch of anti protesters showing up - that would force us to break out the CalGuns tactical Anti Anti Dispersal Vehicle. And with gas prices being what they are that could break the bank...

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8788/riotcar5.jpg

radioburning
08-14-2009, 10:27 AM
If I'm not on a job, I can probably bring a couple tables and pop-ups to Angeles or Burro.

wildhawker
08-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Curtis, this is RKBA-specific.

7x57, I'd like to get a feel for where/how many locations and plan from there, but I'm thinking a kickoff in 2-3 weeks.

Fred, email me a draft secret handshake and a day rate on the anti anti rig rental :D

curtisfong
08-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Sounds good to me. Angeles is the closest range, but I'm willing to go to Burro.

Kestryll
08-14-2009, 11:06 AM
I believe Angeles has a private range that can be rented out called Eagles Nest and I suspect Burro has private areas as well.

Angeles is closer to me but Burro is doable as well.
Let's find out some prices for rental and such and see what's going to work out best for as many as possible.

Depending on when and where I may be able to make a few of the So Cal meetings.
Don't forget the Ventura County area, I think we have a fair amount of members from there as well.

What is your idea on time frame and scheduling Brandon?

CapS
08-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Count me in on the Peninsula or SF*, Brandon.
And thank you very much.
/Cap

*what was I thinking?

7x57
08-14-2009, 11:48 AM
I believe Angeles has a private range that can be rented out called Eagles Nest and I suspect Burro has private areas as well.

Burro has plenty of private ranges, and pretty much lets you do what you want. I suspect they don't allow glass (or at least I hope so), but I've shot at fruit, old helium tanks, clay pigeons, bowling pins, and the like. I think as long as you clean up your mess, it's fine.

I've never been on the Angeles private range, but there must be a reason for the popularity of Burro's ranges. I would guess you'd pay more for the ability to do less.

Of course, if I made some phone calls I could quit speculating. :D

7x57

wildhawker
08-14-2009, 11:52 AM
If we can nail down the locations, here's my first stab at an aggressive schedule for SoCal:

8/28/09 (morning) Fly into San Diego, (afternoon) SD/So. OC meeting, drive to LA area
8/29/09: (morning) Burro or I.E., (afternoon/evening) Oxnard
8/30/09: (morning) El Segundo/West LA, (afternoon) fly out of LAX

ETA: Free locations are best!

Angeles is closer to me but Burro is doable as well.
Let's find out some prices for rental and such and see what's going to work out best for as many as possible.

Depending on when and where I may be able to make a few of the So Cal meetings.
Don't forget the Ventura County area, I think we have a fair amount of members from there as well.

What is your idea on time frame and scheduling Brandon?

FastFinger
08-14-2009, 1:48 PM
Might want to save an extra seat...

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1972/homelandletter.jpg

Kestryll
08-14-2009, 1:59 PM

P.S. Bring cookies.

leitung
08-14-2009, 2:41 PM
P.S. Bring cookies.

:rofl2:

Just name the time and place in Sacramento, and I will be there. I am really never full of great ideas, but I will do what I can..

jdberger
08-14-2009, 4:00 PM
And a spellchecker.

FastFinger
08-14-2009, 4:16 PM
And a spellchecker.

detales

microstencil
08-14-2009, 5:12 PM
If we can nail down the locations, here's my first stab at an aggressive schedule for SoCal:

8/28/09 (morning) Fly into San Diego, (afternoon) SD/So. OC meeting, drive to LA area

8/28 works for me. My office is in San Marcos 92078. It is at the North end of San Diego County and close to Southern Orange County. As I said before we can use my office for a meeting again depending on the size of the group. Let me know if you are interested.

Gay

wildhawker
08-14-2009, 5:23 PM
8/28 works for me. My office is in San Marcos 92078. It is at the North end of San Diego County and close to Southern Orange County. As I said before we can use my office for a meeting again depending on the size of the group. Let me know if you are interested.

Gay

Gary, I'm imagining 10-20. Would this work, and is there a place to grab some chow nearby afterward? ...maybe one that would kick a few bucks to Calguns if a decent group showed up?

microstencil
08-14-2009, 6:03 PM
Gary, I'm imagining 10-20. Would this work, and is there a place to grab some chow nearby afterward? ...maybe one that would kick a few bucks to Calguns if a decent group showed up?

I will start to check and let you know in a few days. If you want we could BBQ and that way we could continue to mingle and talk all at the same time? This would also keep the cost down. Let me know if this is an option. Since this is a Friday most reasturants are busy anyway.

Gary

CHS
08-14-2009, 6:26 PM

I'll be in Denmark :(

But Angie might be able to make it!

SeanCasey
08-14-2009, 7:53 PM
Well looks like I'll have to miss the 8/29 meetings as it is my MIL's birthday and I will be up in Big Bear. I could try to make it to the 8/30 LA one though.

Gator Monroe
08-14-2009, 8:10 PM
Redding In Marshall Jones Sr. CCW class meeting room behind Jones Fort .:eek:

Hopi
08-14-2009, 8:15 PM
Redding In Marshall Jones Sr. CCW class meeting room behind Jones Fort .:eek:

Jones Fort would crap themselves.

Hopi
08-14-2009, 8:16 PM
Any confirmation or more details about the Oxnard meet?

steadyrock
08-14-2009, 8:39 PM
Orange County here. PM Inbound.

1923mack
08-14-2009, 8:48 PM
For Inland Empire area we have an office in Fontana. Could use the meeting room in the late afternoon or evening. Lots of parking and Freeway close. No shooting, but we have some excavators and scrappers guys could look at.

Alaric
08-14-2009, 9:32 PM
Looking forward to a townhall in SD, north county (preferred) or southern OC area. :)

7x57
08-14-2009, 9:41 PM

Just to be clear, a private range at Burro Canyon isn't free. :p However, if we have the day to shoot & BBQ, it's fair to ask for enough to cover costs.

If you decide to do Burro, the earlier we request a range the better because if they're all reserved already we're out of luck. Make sure there is time to make alternate plans until we know for sure it's a go.

7x57

MrSigmaDOT40
08-15-2009, 3:54 AM
Great Idea!

But is this really going to be an "Outreach" thing or just CG members getting together for not?

Can'thavenuthingood
08-15-2009, 7:40 AM
Brandon have you had any contact yet with the gun show promoters in Fresno?
Have any of you Calgunners in Central Valley spoke with area promoters?

Is a Fresno event worth pursuing?

Vick

1923mack
08-15-2009, 9:27 AM
For the Fontana office, we have refrigerator, microwave and grille, so food and drinks could be available if wanted. Inland Empire meeting.

wildhawker
08-15-2009, 9:33 AM
Any confirmation or more details about the Oxnard meet?

I remember a couple of small hotels w/ ballrooms if there's enough of a turnout. Any thoughts?

wildhawker
08-15-2009, 9:34 AM
Brandon have you had any contact yet with the gun show promoters in Fresno?
Have any of you Calgunners in Central Valley spoke with area promoters?

Is a Fresno event worth pursuing?

Vick

I'll address this in the events thread and by email so we can keep this thread on the meetings.

wildhawker
08-15-2009, 9:36 AM
Great Idea!

But is this really going to be an "Outreach" thing or just CG members getting together for not?

This is going to help new volunteers with the "what do we do" and bring the team up to speed on what's coming in the near future and early next year.

wildhawker
08-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Firming up the schedule and booking flights for SoCal tonight; let's start looking at 1 or 2 of you in each area taking point on venue. We'll communicate here to keep everyone on the same page.

bomb_on_bus
08-16-2009, 12:43 PM
So is there any plans for the San Joaquin Valley?

Theres some of us interested in the Bakersfield/Fresno area.

bplvr
08-16-2009, 1:18 PM

This looks like a great opportunity to sell a case of OLL books and a couple dozen Tee shirts . I'll toss in some of those pocket Constitutions for free. Don't ya just love these "teachable moments" !

bplvr
08-18-2009, 11:57 AM
This is for the gunners in the San Diego area.Please send me a PM if you are coming on Friday the 28th and where you are driving from. We are going to set up a meeting place that is central for us all. [looking at 7:00 pm so no one misses any work]

Librarian
08-18-2009, 12:30 PM
East Bay will probably work for me.

microstencil
08-18-2009, 1:55 PM
Brandon any update for San Diego on the 28th? Do I need to put something together for the meeting?

wildhawker
08-18-2009, 7:45 PM
Yes, Central Valley is tentatively scheduled for mid-September (18-20). I would guess that it will be Bakersfield fri night & Fresno saturday night; may do Fresno on Sat am and Turlock/Modesto Sat pm if there's enough demand. I'm considering making Sacto/Norcal it's own weekend.

So is there any plans for the San Joaquin Valley?

Theres some of us interested in the Bakersfield/Fresno area.

wildhawker
08-18-2009, 7:52 PM
SoCal flights are booked.

Will be flying into LAX 8/28 for a business meeting in LA then driving to San Diego for the meeting that night.

We need to nail down venues for OC/IE, Oxnard and West LA ASAP- anyone with connections to restaurants with a banquet hall or the like (or know of any)? Burro would be fine if we can get a range; otherwise I'm thinking Fullerton/La Mirada & Oxnard on Saturday and LAX/West LA on Sunday to round out the trip.

The San Diego folks are going to get together for dinner and conversation at a Chinese place, FYI.

Eric Mayer
08-18-2009, 9:37 PM
I'll make some calls for around here (West LA / LAX). We are 405/105/south of 10 adjacent.

Eric :cool:

wildhawker
08-18-2009, 10:18 PM
For consideration, it would be nice to have some time to meet and greet each other before opening up the discussions & Q&A. Venues conducive to this would be fantastic.

7x57
08-19-2009, 3:00 PM
Wildhawker started a thread for the Burro Canyon shoot-n-q here. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=214197)

7x57

xxdabroxx
08-20-2009, 7:33 AM
I'm in for Bako or Fresno, i can prob. get a few other people to ride along as well.

If people are wiling to travel a little bit, these two meets could be combined in the tulare/ Visalia area pretty easily. It would be about an hour drive for either location. I could help find a location for the meeting if its in this area.

1923mack
08-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Burro Canyon Meet;

Question; Is the Burro Canyon meet intended to cover the Inland Empire, Orange County and Los Angeles County areas? While one meeting may made the logistics easier, The 3 areas are very distinct and have different people and issues.

wildhawker
08-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Burro Canyon is probably going to draw the folks from IE, north OC and maybe East LA.

We'll have a West LA/Long Beach meeting to provide a venue for those from OC and LA that couldn't make the drive to Burro.

greasemonkey
08-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Brandon, there are a few people I know from Fresno/Hanford that are interested. Depending on where you want to go(Fresno, Visalia, Lemoore), there are quite a few outdoor ranges and other places to meet (ranches, shops, restaurants, homes...).

Are you going to start a Fresno thread in the Official Events forum?

wildhawker
08-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Jon,

Definitely- as soon as we can firm up the Valley's locations/dates I will do that. I thought Bakersfield/Fresno would be appropriate- should we do a stop off in Tulare/Visalia or will people there drive to Fresno?

Right now playing with:

Turlock
Bakersfield
(Tulare?)
Fresno

The more feedback the better. I like the private range idea like Burro, but we could do a bbq at a ranch or banquet hall of a restaurant just as well.

Brandon, there are a few people I know from Fresno/Hanford that are interested. Depending on where you want to go(Fresno, Visalia, Lemoore), there are quite a few outdoor ranges and other places to meet (ranches, shops, restaurants, homes...).

Are you going to start a Fresno thread in the Official Events forum?

pullnshoot25
08-20-2009, 2:24 PM
Just got the call from bplvr. I'm in.

greasemonkey
08-20-2009, 3:24 PM
I think a Tulare meet might be a bit much if you're planning on doing meetings at both Bakersfield and Fresno. I don't know, I commute from Fresno to Hanford and don't have much to do with the Tulare/Visalia area so I don't want to speak for them.

It is about even time-wise whether the Tulare/Visalia people head to Bakersfield or Fresno, just under an hour either way.

wildhawker
08-21-2009, 12:41 AM
**please feel free to forward this to Calgunners who might be interested in joining us**

Meet your fellow Calgunners and learn about exciting new opportunities for grassroots activism and outreach! Plus, be the first to catch a glimpse of the Calguns of the future. Let’s make California free again – you can help!

Please RSVP and vote in the poll found in the following threads, links below:

San Diego Area - Friday, August 28, 2009
6:30pm-9:00pm
Chin's Szechwan Restaurant
9355 Kearny Mesa Road, San Diego, CA 92160
RSVP/Info: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=213992
Calguns contact: bplvr

IE/OC Area – Saturday, August 29, 2009
9:00am–4:30pm (Town Hall meeting at noon)
Burro Canyon Shooting Park – Private Range Tac 3B
22100 East Fork Road, Azusa, CA 91702
RSVP/Info: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=214197
Calguns contact: 7x57
(note: Shoot-n-que style, discussion/Q&A begins at noon)

Ventura/TO Area – Saturday, August 29, 2009
7:00pm–9:00pm
Round Table Pizza
4255 E. Main Street, Ventura, CA 93003
RSVP/Info: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=214717
Calguns contact: Hopi

West LA/OC Area – Sunday, August 30, 2009
10:00am-12:00pm
Denny's
11750 Jefferson Blvd., Culver City, CA 90230-6365
RSVP/Info: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=214714
Calguns contact: Eric Mayer

We’ll see you there!

-Brandon Combs

wildog8812
08-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Let me know a Fresno date and i will be there.

nicki
08-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Brandon,

This is a large effort on your part, my hope is that after you are done, that we have a few people who step up and are local coordinators for Calguns.

We already have groups defending gun rights, so unless we come up with a different spin, we are not going to get people involved.

My suggested spin is that our group is going on "Offense" to take back "Gun Rights", that we go for the gut.

Ask gun owners how long are they going to let themselves get beaten up before they fight back, because that is what Calguns should be about, fighting back and taking back what is rightfully ours.

We must go for the emotional appeal, because emotion moves people, facts just get people thinking about things.

Calguns has a foundation and the next step will be to set up a political action committee.

This state is very diverse, so when groups are put together, how they operate will have to be "regionally based".

Gun rights are effected by other issues and to blindly ignore them is a serious mistake.

We are an easy scapegoat to divert attention away from problems caused by failed government policies.

Did we cause the Mexican drug war, how about street gangs, how about criminal activity?

If we force attention back to failed government policies, it means those policies have to get dealt with. In the process we divert negative attention away from us.

In the process we should open bridges.

Nicki

wildhawker
08-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Nicki, comments in bold below.

Brandon,

This is a large effort on your part, my hope is that after you are done, that we have a few people who step up and are local coordinators for Calguns.

>I think you'll see just that.

We already have groups defending gun rights, so unless we come up with a different spin, we are not going to get people involved.

>I would like to think that we're creating opportunities for people to step up and get involved- this is about enabling people to do what they in their hearts want to do.

My suggested spin is that our group is going on "Offense" to take back "Gun Rights", that we go for the gut.

>No spin needed- we ARE going on offsense.

Ask gun owners how long are they going to let themselves get beaten up before they fight back, because that is what Calguns should be about, fighting back and taking back what is rightfully ours.

We must go for the emotional appeal, because emotion moves people, facts just get people thinking about things.

>It's the intention of the Town Hall meetings to discuss the very motivators that we must identify and appeal to in order to truly make California's culture a gun-friendly one.

Calguns has a foundation and the next step will be to set up a political action committee.

>We ARE the action committee - all of us, together, working towards a common goal. We don't have the infrastructure in place [yet] for a PAC.

This state is very diverse, so when groups are put together, how they operate will have to be "regionally based".

> ;)

Gun rights are effected by other issues and to blindly ignore them is a serious mistake.

We are an easy scapegoat to divert attention away from problems caused by failed government policies.

Did we cause the Mexican drug war, how about street gangs, how about criminal activity?

If we force attention back to failed government policies, it means those policies have to get dealt with. In the process we divert negative attention away from us.

>I appreciate this from a global perspective of politics in general, and feel that we must stay on point with our message - focused strictly on 2A and 2A issues. The other issues will receive the attention people demand. 2A will get lost in the noise and drama if we dilute it with the politics of the day.

We must defend the 2A against further social erosion and take a strong, honest and substantiated message to the public in a manner that is conducive to positive impressions and acceptance.

In the process we should open bridges.

>Building relationships and bridges is exactly one of the objectives of these efforts.

Nicki

greasemonkey
08-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Here's the initial thread for the Central/South Valley: Turlock, Fresno, Bakersfield

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=2979402#post2979402

shellyzsweet
09-02-2009, 4:02 PM
so when is the SF bay area meet??

vladbutsky
09-02-2009, 11:31 PM
so when is the SF bay area meet??

+1 on that...

MP301
10-02-2009, 4:01 AM
Ok, im interested in the Sac area meet. How is this progressing?

advocatusdiaboli
10-03-2009, 3:09 PM
I should be able to participate on the Peninsula/South Bay. Work schedule (mine and the wife's including long commutes and night commitments) and wife-pressure for family commitments excepted.

wildhawker
10-03-2009, 3:21 PM
With the AB962/SB585 issue nearly behind us, these TH meetings are coming back to the forefront. Expect Bakersfield to Norcal meetings late Oct through Dec.

ricochet
10-04-2009, 10:24 AM
The San Leandro Davis Street range is also just a few minutes from my house.
Don't know if they like holstered UOC but they have classrooms, indoor & outdoor ranges there. They are picky on ammo shot as Oakland Airport is in back of them. Their range people don't seem to be the most friendly/cooperative folks so somebody would want to talk to the board of the Optomists club that runs it and/or a trainer (can we use your classroom).

http://slrange.tripod.com/id12.html (Optomist club)
http://slrange.tripod.com/ (range)
http://slrange.tripod.com/id4.html (contact us page)

San Leandro Optimist Rifle and Pistol Range
3001 Davis St. San Leandro, Ca. 94577
Phone: 510-638-9605 FAX: 510-562-9464

I would think, call the Optomist club first who will prolly direct you to call the range officer but that way the idea/event get's exposed at the upper level and you probably get referred to the right range guy instead of one of the behind the counter flunkies who are probably members pulling a duty shift that they don't really want to do.

They have Steel Shoots Saturday evenings (6 PM - 10 PM). Holsters allowed for that. I can see a meeting Saturday afternoon & shooting (including steel that evening).

Since they have outdoor facilities (good sized parking lot too); a Shoot-n-que could work

gopher hunter
10-05-2009, 6:52 AM
I live 12 east of Chico.

George

jdberger
10-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't think that the THs need a shooting component (or even an UOC component). I actually think that it might be a distraction.

However, I'd be willing to do a TH at my house, followed by a Steel Shoot at Davis Street. I'd whip up a little pulled pork, root-beer bbq sauce and slaw.

I've been known to have beer on tap, too (which might nix the shooting component).

ricochet
10-05-2009, 5:43 PM
I've been known to have beer on tap, too (which might nix the shooting component).

Sounds good; I'm in. TH sounds good, shootin' steel sounds good (no pun intended) but beer WOULD nix the shoot :)

eric2063
10-11-2009, 9:40 PM
I would attend a meeting in the Sacramento/Placer area

Mr.CRC
10-12-2009, 7:07 PM
Hi:

I would be interested in attending a meeting.

Where's a schedule? Buried in the thread somewhere?

BTW, I'm in the East Bay -- Livermore!

ricochet
10-12-2009, 7:13 PM
I think it's still in the planning stages. Knowing wildhawker, he might update the 1'st post of the thread when the schedule is set.

bld0121
10-13-2009, 8:50 PM
Sacramento, please. I'd like to get involved but, like many, aren't sure how to get out there and "stick it to the man".

yakmon
10-15-2009, 2:51 PM
i picked norcal, so, chico. if its in redding, ill go there too.

wash
10-15-2009, 3:23 PM
The SJ muni range would probably be a good place for a town hall meeting and I think we have some members that have the keys to the place. It's easy to get to for the whole south bay.

But whatever the final plan is, let me know.

nicki
10-22-2009, 7:58 PM
We actually have good numbers in the urban areas that we could actually form working groups.

The issue would be will people commit time and money to various projects.

Brandon can't be expected to be everywhere, we haven't perfected cloning yet. Bush's policies on stem cells sets that back eight years.:eek:

A few people can get much done.

The Michigan Coalition of firearms owners got started with 8 people and grew to 50,000 strong by the time they got shall issue passed in the legislature.

Ohio did the same thing, as well as other states. We have plenty of other organizations that we can learn from, see what they did, what worked, what didn't work.

The NRA members councils do exist across the state as well as election coordinators. We should reach out to them.

We should consider doing outreach at places other than gunshows, like actual shopping malls.

Many malls will allow tables to be set up as long as nothing is sold. I realize it is not the safe comfort of a gun show, we may actually have to deal with someone who is anti gun, but I think we can handle it.

An example of what we could do.

Run tables on weekends at major shopping malls promoting gun safety and education. Our message would be simple.

We believe that while we have a right to arms, we also recognize a responsiblity which is why we are volunteering our time to run firearms safety classes, especially for the children, because firearms safety is not being taught in our schools.

As calguns, we are not the NRA.(Not that I have anything against NRA).

Nicki

Kid Stanislaus
10-23-2009, 9:05 PM
OK, today is Oct. 23, did I miss a meeting in SACTO? If not I'd sure like to know when its going to happen. If I'm not in NM hunting I'll be there or be square!

FastFinger
10-23-2009, 9:15 PM
Well put niki. Malls and similar places with a broad spectrum of neighbors are excellent locations for Calgun members to spread the message and invite newcomers. Air shows, county fairs, recreation shows, there are plenty of places along with gun shows.

greasemonkey
10-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Brandon, there's quite a few Fresno-Visalia-Bakersfield people that are interested...

BLC
10-26-2009, 4:21 PM
I'd like to get in on a meeting, anything in the Ventura area? There is a gun show on 11/7. Let me know where you want me though, I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment.

If I missed this info my apologies.

Kid Stanislaus
11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Is this still alive?

AndrewMendez
11-15-2009, 2:23 AM
Do we have more members in NC then SC?

greasemonkey
11-15-2009, 8:20 AM
Is this still alive?

I'm occasionally told there are plans in the works but there's been very little communication from farther up the food chain.

Kid Stanislaus
11-15-2009, 5:41 PM
I'm occasionally told there are plans in the works but there's been very little communication from farther up the food chain.

Well, for the record, I live near Modesto and could travel as far south as Bakersfield or as far north as Redding. I'm not working right now and the ride would sure break up the monotony of hanging around Oakdale!!

Afmo
12-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I live in Chico and would prefer that, but would attend a Redding meeting as well.

Kid Stanislaus
12-04-2009, 8:24 PM
HEY!!! Is anybody alive on this thread?

SavageSam
02-07-2010, 7:18 AM
Bump. Been two months since last post. Any news?