PDA

View Full Version : what are your suggestions on how to clean polymer pistols???

marbles71
08-13-2009, 4:21 PM
i am pretty new to polymers, and i have a H&K USP coming in next week...

i was planning to clean the metal parts like any other pistol, like my 1911, with Hoppe's 9. however, how am i supposed to clean the plastic frame??? i really have no idea how to approach cleaning off the carbon from plastic without damaging it.

what other tools and materials should i have? what kinds of chemicals should i use?

it would be great to hear from you polymer pistol folks...especially H&K, Glock, Springer XD people

thanks,
marbles71

p7m8jg
08-13-2009, 4:23 PM
Hoppes has worked on my Glock 19. Every part, steel or polymer. Going on many years....

Legasat
08-13-2009, 4:36 PM
I use Hoppes the same way on ALL of my guns.

Unit74
08-13-2009, 4:38 PM
Same same for me.... scrub-a-dub-dub.....

The Tech-1
08-13-2009, 4:39 PM
Same thing here

kegs
08-13-2009, 4:39 PM
Copper cutter, can't remember the brand - I think you're 100% fine so long as you don't soak the polymer in it for a long period of time (e.g. no soaking overnight like you might do with a barrel).

Been doing this to my Walther P99 for years and the plastic looks 100% perfect still.

hybridatsun350
08-13-2009, 4:51 PM
Usually a quick wipe of the inside of the frame with a paper shop towel gets the inside of my Glocks looking good. No solvent needed. The carbon doesn't seem to stick to the polymer like it does to metal.

Voo
08-13-2009, 5:20 PM
Usually a quick wipe of the inside of the frame with a paper shop towel gets the inside of my Glocks looking good. No solvent needed. The carbon doesn't seem to stick to the polymer like it does to metal.

I would agree. There's nothing special you need to do to clean the polymer other than wipe it down. The gunk from shooting doesn't stick very well to the polymer- it just seems to wipe away.

I usually have a bottle of Simple Green around for basic "degreasing" and I like to use that to help cut thru the grime- sometimes I dont even bother with that. As Hybridatsun stated, shop towels are perfectly fine. I really dont see why you would need* to use anything exotic on the polymer itself.

The metal internals of your HK may require you to use something more prudent, but overall, I see less being more. Having it spotless is sorta pointless. It's a modern combat weapon. It doesn't need to be 100 clean to run 100%.

I shoot anywhere between 1000-1500 rounds a month through my G34 (practice + matches). I rarely ever clean out the "frame" more than just wiping it down. It doesn't effect reliability what so ever.

Without going into too much detail, I would avoid "brake cleaners" in general. Some are "ok" but the reality is that some are harsher and if you're n00b, then its' best to simply avoid it for now in the event that you get the wrong one. Also, brake cleaners tend to strip the lube from the gun as well. If you do this, you'll want to relube it. It's more work than needed. A compressor and some CLP might be a better way to go.

RollingCode3
08-13-2009, 5:26 PM
I would agree. There's nothing special you need to do to clean the polymer other than wipe it down. The gunk from shooting doesn't stick very well to the polymer- it just seems to wipe away.

I usually have a bottle of Simple Green around for basic "degreasing" and I like to use that to help cut thru the grime- sometimes I dont even bother with that. As Hybridatsun stated, shop towels are perfectly fine. I really dont see why you would need* to use anything exotic on the polymer itself.

The metal internals of your HK may require you to use something more prudent, but overall, I see less being more. Having it spotless is sorta pointless. It's a modern combat weapon. It doesn't need to be 100 clean to run 100%.

I shoot anywhere between 1000-1500 rounds a month through my G34 (practice + matches). I rarely ever clean out the "frame" more than just wiping it down. It doesn't effect reliability what so ever.

Without going into too much detail, I would avoid "brake cleaners" in general. Some are "ok" but the reality is that some are harsher and if you're n00b, then its' best to simply avoid it for now in the event that you get the wrong one. Also, brake cleaners tend to strip the lube from the gun as well. If you do this, you'll want to relube it. It's more work than needed. A compressor and some CLP might be a better way to go.

Simple Green is awesome. I mix simple green with water and soak the frame in there for like 30 minutes.

Greg-Dawg
08-13-2009, 5:49 PM
Use MPro-7, it's water based therefore easy on plastic...and the rest of your Hk.

HkUSP45
08-13-2009, 9:02 PM
When i had my USP 45, I used simple green on the frame.

SCMA-1
08-13-2009, 9:13 PM
I use a blast of GunScrubber to dissolve carbon and blow it out in one shot.

Opus109
08-13-2009, 9:15 PM
CLP and a rag. That's it.

cineski
08-13-2009, 9:18 PM
Break Free Powder Blast on the polymer then a Windex blasted cloth to get rid of any BF residuals. I like my guns to be spotless when not in use and this is the best way I've found. Windex leaves the plastic dry and grippy.

Axewound
08-13-2009, 10:12 PM
doesnt matter seeing as they have no soul, hahahahahahaha

no but really CLP and a rag

Turbinator
08-14-2009, 10:44 AM
I use an old toothbrush and dish soap. Helps get everything off, including any built up sweat or dead skin cells on the outside of the frame embedded in the grip. Shake dry, then let air dry.

Turby

loosewreck
08-14-2009, 1:59 PM
I use an old toothbrush and dish soap. Helps get everything off, including any built up sweat or dead skin cells on the outside of the frame embedded in the grip. Shake dry, then let air dry.

Turby

Yeah, the few times I've detail stripped my glock, I simply soaked the frame in warm water and dish washing detergent and was shock at how effective it was.

To the OP, if you use this method of cleaning I would suggest to make sure to blow out all of the excess water with some kind of pressurized air especially in the metal rail areas to prevent any rusting.

stix213
08-14-2009, 2:36 PM
I've been using the "synthetic safe" version of Gun Scrubber with my new Glock 26. Been working just fine.

coop44
08-14-2009, 3:01 PM
Ronson lighter fluid and a match works too! Ooooh pretty colors.

rips31
08-14-2009, 3:20 PM
swishing it around in a bucket of simple green or dish detergent solution and air dry.

MasterYong
08-14-2009, 3:35 PM
Any brand should do- just check to make sure the label doesn't warn you to NOT use the solvent on polymer.

I've only seen a few brands that have the warning, but every now and then I pick up a bottle and it says that it's not safe for wood, or for plastic, etc- for the most part however you should be safe.

Hoppe's is DEFINITELY G2G.

marbles71
08-14-2009, 3:36 PM
thanks for the suggestions everyone...

so i guess, from reading these responses that carbon doesn't really stick very well to the polymer frame if all i need is some water, dish soap, a scrub, and a quick air dry???

i'm just afraid of rusting the metal rails on the plastic frame though if i let it soak in water. i guess i could use some pressurized air like loosewreck suggested. or a hairdryer?

tba02
08-14-2009, 3:47 PM
I use syn-safe gunscrubber and an old nylon toothbrush for round one. I hit it with a blow dryer to address the nooks and crannies. I repeat the process with CLP or Remoil depending on the gun.

Turbinator
08-14-2009, 5:33 PM
Yeah, the few times I've detail stripped my glock, I simply soaked the frame in warm water and dish washing detergent and was shock at how effective it was.

Yup. And I've NEVER had a problem with the springs rusting after all these years. I was cleaning polymer firearms in the shower in the mid 90's with no ill effects thus far. Was going for efficiency back then.. :)

Turby

Irv
08-14-2009, 6:53 PM
Another MPro 7 user

ERdept
08-14-2009, 6:57 PM
[QUOTE=p7m8jg;2917782]Hoppes has worked on my Glock 19. Every part, steel or polymer. Going on many years....[/QUOTE

+1

Clean as any other firearm.

BLC
08-15-2009, 8:05 AM
I use this stuff and it works great, never had a problem. It creates a white film in some spots but nothing a silicone treated cloth wont take care of.

http://i27.tinypic.com/20rtcpl.jpg

I know its been mentioned but another testimonial couldnt hurt. This and a Boresnake makes it really easy

B Strong
08-15-2009, 8:29 AM
i am pretty new to polymers, and i have a H&K USP coming in next week...

i was planning to clean the metal parts like any other pistol, like my 1911, with Hoppe's 9. however, how am i supposed to clean the plastic frame??? i really have no idea how to approach cleaning off the carbon from plastic without damaging it.

what other tools and materials should i have? what kinds of chemicals should i use?

it would be great to hear from you polymer pistol folks...especially H&K, Glock, Springer XD people

thanks,
marbles71

Mpro7.

http://www.mpro7.com/

drunktank
08-15-2009, 9:57 PM
I use a wet rag to wipe down the plastic parts of my USP's frame. I'll use a toothbrush and soapy water for the grip area as needed. CLP to lube the metal internals. (Blow dryer or canned air to completely get rid of any water I can't reach with a rag). Aside from the normal barrel marks, it still looks and feels brand new.

I have an uncle who shoots almost every single day. Daily, he cleans his compact USP with Hoppes 9 frame and all. No problems what so ever.

Hope you like your new gun!

MarioS
08-15-2009, 10:33 PM
I just use my BreakFree CLP on everything. The frame really doesn't much though except for a bit of cleaning on the inside where powder residue has stuck on. I just rub the outside a bit with a silicone gun cloth.