PDA

View Full Version : FFL that will transfer in an non-CA compliant DSArms FAL?

scoob_i_e
08-13-2009, 3:34 PM
Is there anyone whom you know of that can transfer a rifle direct from DSA in non-CA legal configuration? (And won't charge more than $40-$50 for the transfer?

I'm in Placer County. The regional area around me would be Sacramento, Eldorado, Yuba, Davis.... Or any areas that aren't more than 10-15 miles in any direction from the areas listed above.

Or do I have to look for a middle man?

tenpercentfirearms
08-13-2009, 5:45 PM
Is there anyone whom you know of that can transfer a rifle direct from DSA in non-CA legal configuration? (And won't charge more than $40-$50 for the transfer?

I'm in Placer County. The regional area around me would be Sacramento, Eldorado, Yuba, Davis.... Or any areas that aren't more than 10-15 miles in any direction from the areas listed above.

Or do I have to look for a middle man?

They must have an AW license in order to do so. I am thinking your odds of finding one are slim to none. I would love to be wrong though (wrong about finding one, only an AW licensee can handle AWs).

scoob_i_e
08-13-2009, 9:38 PM
I have forgotten a lot about the technicalities involved in transferring in a rifle in non-CA legal condition. I started researching the issue about a year ago, put off getting/doing anything for that entire year and now I'm dredging up my memory on the research. Plus, if you can't tell already, if I can make this happen, it will be my first OLL acquisition.

Basically I'm saying I just now remembered that it's better to have it sent in disassembled.

I sent a message to DSArms asking whether they could separately transfer the upper and lower to two different address; (One address would be a non 01FFL (me) to send the complete upper assembly....

And then the 2nd address would be any 01FFL in the area willing to transfer the complete lower assembly sans pinned mag.

However, I'm thinking I"ll get a negative response from DSArms even though I'm merely asking a question regarding whether they're willing to take a stock STG58 and separate it in two and send it to two separate addresses..... I think I vaguely recall that DSArms is not friendly to anyone not in possession of an 01FFL.

Do I have the right idea? FAL's can be taken down into two major assemblies such as with an AR, correct?---Upper and lower?

Thanks for the response.

tenpercentfirearms
08-14-2009, 5:06 AM
The odds of DSA taking it apart and shipping it are pretty slim. Even slimmer is going to be finding an AW licensed dealer in CA that will accept it for you.

scoob_i_e
08-14-2009, 1:23 PM
The odds of DSA taking it apart and shipping it are pretty slim.

I was thinking this too, was pretty sure, but not entirely.

Even slimmer is going to be finding an AW licensed dealer in CA that will accept it for you.

My understanding is that so long as the upper and lower are seperate you do not have a rifle, you only have parts, regardless that the serialized lower is the part that is considered the firearm?

So, were I to ship a complete FAL upper to my address then have a complete lower sent to an 01FFL sans mag lock then, in the FFL holder's presence, install the mag lock and leave their premises this would be perfectly legal, right?

ke6guj
08-14-2009, 1:29 PM
My understanding is that so long as the upper and lower are seperate you do not have a rifle, you only have parts, regardless that the serialized lower is the part that is considered the firearm?

So, were I to ship a complete FAL upper to my address then have a complete lower sent to an 01FFL sans mag lock then, in the FFL holder's presence, install the mag lock and leave their premises this would be perfectly legal, right?You got it reversed, on a FAL the controlled item is the serialized Upper, not the lower.

But if DSA were willing to ship the upper to the FFL, and the lower to you, that might be acceptable. But it sounds like DSA won't do that. So, just spend the $40-$50 and run the entire rifle through a middleman FFL like Quentin Laser and either have him split ship it or have him californicate it for you before it gets shipped into CA.

scoob_i_e
08-14-2009, 1:39 PM
You got it reversed, on a FAL the controlled item is the serialized Upper, not the lower.

Ah, see, told you this would be my first OLL experience. So, like a Sig, the serialized part is the upper, got it.

In my case I wish to use a specific mag lock so tell me if I have this straight;

1. Buy the mag lock.

2. Find an 01FFL out-of-state whom has a STG58 in stock AND WHOM is willing to make it CA compliant before shipping it to an FFL in my area willing to accept the transfer.

3. Send the mag lock to the out-of-state FFL to have him install the mag lock.

4. Out-of-state FFL middle man ships it (now CA compliant) to an FFL in my area willing to accept the transfer.

I'd rather just install the mag lock myself by doing the split-ship as you put it.

But, if no one's willing to do this, then middle man sounds like the way to go, as you're saying.

ke6guj
08-14-2009, 1:48 PM
Yes, either find an out-of-state FFL who has it in stock and willing to make it CA compliant, OR, order the FAL any other FFL, including DSA, and have them ship it to a CA-friendly middleman like Quentin Laser. They will install the mag lock for you, or split ship the parts to you, whatever complies with the law and your local FFL needs for his own policy.

I can understand wanting to install the parts yourself, but at some point, if it is easier to pay someone $10-20 to californicate it outside of CA and then ship it to your FFL, and now there are no concerns that someone saying a barreled uppper with the original mag release, but with no lower is still an AW, may be worth it.

scoob_i_e
08-14-2009, 1:52 PM
ke6guj, thanks so much. Your time and information has been invaluable.

JandJArmory
09-16-2009, 9:10 PM
Ah, see, told you this would be my first OLL experience. So, like a Sig, the serialized part is the upper, got it.

In my case I wish to use a specific mag lock so tell me if I have this straight;

1. Buy the mag lock.

2. Find an 01FFL out-of-state whom has a STG58 in stock AND WHOM is willing to make it CA compliant before shipping it to an FFL in my area willing to accept the transfer.

3. Send the mag lock to the out-of-state FFL to have him install the mag lock.

4. Out-of-state FFL middle man ships it (now CA compliant) to an FFL in my area willing to accept the transfer.

I'd rather just install the mag lock myself by doing the split-ship as you put it.

But, if no one's willing to do this, then middle man sounds like the way to go, as you're saying.

Its not that knowone is willing to do it. Knowone on this Calguns forum is willing to break the law. So please dont ask FFL's to take in AW's. I know your new but the answer was given several different times and you keep asking.

sacshooter1
09-16-2009, 9:18 PM
New Town Firearms in Placerville is a DS Arms dealer and last time I was there, a while ago, they had some Cal Compliant FAL's. Pricey if I remember correctly.