PDA

View Full Version : I need eyes and ears!!

k3nnex
08-13-2009, 3:42 PM
I do not have any eye and ear protection yet. I am pretty broke right now, what would you recommend for me to get if I plan on shooting ARs and shotguns outdoors? I don't want to be too cheap and push my health though.

ENTHUSIAST
08-13-2009, 4:00 PM
Foam ear plugs and ChEAP shooting glasses like five to seven bucks total... and you are SAFE.

how do you afford ammo if a few bucks isnt in the budget for eyes and ears...?

edit: Foam ear plus are the cheapest and the BEST option for shooting rifles... the cheek weld on a longgun is NOT gonna work with earmuffs very well....

k3nnex
08-13-2009, 4:29 PM
I was unsure if I needed those fancy $300 ears. Foam plugs that's it? Would you say it's perfectly safe, or safe enough?

drewg13
08-13-2009, 4:58 PM
I was unsure if I needed those fancy $300 ears. Foam plugs that's it? Would you say it's perfectly safe, or safe enough?

Perfectly safe. Just look for the better ones with I think about a 30 NRR rating. You can pickup cheap safety glasses from Home Depot and they would be fine.

ivanimal
08-13-2009, 5:09 PM
Send me your address and I will give you some.

Blue
08-13-2009, 5:11 PM
With the foam plugs, you've gotta roll them tight, and actually stick them in your ear canal. I've seen tons of people with them just barely in there.

Meety Peety
08-13-2009, 5:22 PM
Earplugs are far better protection than MOST muffs. Muffs tend to range from 21db NRR to 27db NRR, they don't get much higher until you get into the more expensive ones, which can be very expensive. 90% of foam ear plugs are 30db NRR + (usually around 35db.) So yes, plugs are generally better, but they are inconvenient. Muffs are equally inconvenient when shooting heavy recoil long guns.. it really is just nice to have both options. One things for sure, in the "short-term-long-run" its actually more expensive to keep buying earplugs than it is to buy a cheapo $10 pair of muffs.

I'd say just buy a cheap pair of Howard Leight muffs until you can afford a nifty pair of electronic ones. Or get a construction job where earplugs and Z87 glasses are given to you. I haven't paid for PPE in years lol.

Oh and theres always the tried and true method of stickin spent brass in your ears to plug them up. Why doesn't anyone do that anymore? Lol, just kidding.. don't do that.

jcaoloveshine
08-13-2009, 5:40 PM
I recommend doubling up, for me, less noise is always better and it helps improve my shooting.

I get some foam plugs then industrial strength earmuffs on top of that, and shooting 308 becomes a much more pleasant affair.

Almostryan3
08-13-2009, 5:40 PM
I would agree with foam ear plugs. I take them to the NHRA top fuel races whenever I go and they work fine from right on the fence! And those fuggers are LOUD!

7x57
08-13-2009, 6:15 PM
Harbor Freight has some electronic earmuffs for $20. They work well, except it takes them longer to bring back ambient sound than a more expensive pair. But you won't mind having extras to loan to your buddies.

7x57

CSDGuy
08-13-2009, 6:30 PM
+1 on the foam plugs. The trick is to roll them tight, put them well into the ear canal. To do that, what I find that works is to reach behind my head with my opposite hand, pull the ear up and back, then insert the plug. Once in, just release the ear, and keep a finger against the foam plug until it expands and seats in the ear canal. There should be a little bit sticking out, just enough for you to grasp with your fingers...

I use plugs that have an NRR rating of >31... and have found some that are rated at 33. I double up with muffs that are rated around 29... It works pretty well.

gregorylucas
08-13-2009, 6:51 PM
I like my Howard Leight electronic earmuffs very much. I shoot everything from .22 to .308 and I have had zero problems with my hearing. Got them from a sponsor csgunworks.com.

Greg

socomIInato
08-13-2009, 6:58 PM
I can`t hear you:41:spent my money on ammo!