PDA

View Full Version : C&R Rifles: PTP transfer OK?

neveragain@juno.com
08-08-2005, 8:54 AM
I have been told I can sell my Garands and M1 carbines (without mags) to another Kal resident without going through the DOJ, without DROS, and without waiting period. Is this true?

imported_Stevie
08-08-2005, 9:53 AM
As long as firearm (long gun) is over 50 years old you are ok. Beware, some garands HRA, International Harvester maybe under 50 years old. M1 carbines should be fine.

neveragain@juno.com
08-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Many thanks, will start listing in the classifieds today.

imported_Stevie
08-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Oh, remember that commercial M1 carbines (Plainfield, Iver Johnson etc,etc) will meet criteria for FTF transfer without DROS.

TonyNorCal
08-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Stevie:
Oh, remember that commercial M1 carbines (Plainfield, Iver Johnson etc,etc) will meet criteria for FTF transfer without DROS.

Stevie is correct, except I think he meant to type will NOT in the above quote. He's right, if it's 50 years old then no DROS, nothing cept you handing it to someone.

I do think however that it is still illegal to transfer mags over 10 rounds (such as M1 Carbine 15 round mags). Someone else chime in? Exception for person to person C&Rs?

Wonderwhippet, where are you located? Also send me a list. I do C&Rs.
RandomDestiny34@aol.com

Thanks

bwiese
08-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Tony:
I do think however that it is still illegal to transfer mags over 10 rounds (such as M1 Carbine 15 round mags). Someone else chime in? Exception for person to person C&Rs?

There are no exceptions for hicap magazines in CA. It doesn't matter if the gun is C&R or not, you essentially can't transfer hicaps to another person inside California.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

imported_Stevie
08-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Tony, thanks you are correct, commercial manufactured carbines must be DROS'd. And under no exception shall magazines over 10 rounds be transferred with rifle.

Charliegone
08-08-2005, 2:58 PM
Gosh, even with 20-rounders I would be happy..i.e. Maryland.

trempel_ry@yahoo.com
08-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Does anyone have a link or code section to confirm this? Does this mean that a C&R long gun can be sold cash'n'carry, without the 4473 or any of that hoopla?

imported_Stevie
08-11-2005, 1:38 PM
I believe its in the law and FAQ?, i have e-mail and verbal confirmation from the DOJ somewhere. Remember this is for private party tranfer only. A Ca 001 FFL dealer must always use a DROS 4473 form and 10 day wait unless you have a COE and C&R. Even then not all dealers realize this fact.

trempel_ry@yahoo.com
08-11-2005, 1:44 PM
I believe its in the law and FAQ?, i have e-mail and verbal confirmation from the DOJ somewhere. Remember this is for private party tranfer only.
If by some chance you happen to come accross that e-mail, could you forward it to me? trempel_ry@yahoo.com

imported_EOD Guy
08-11-2005, 1:44 PM
Originally posted by Trempel:
Does anyone have a link or code section to confirm this? Does this mean that a C&R long gun can be sold cash'n'carry, without the 4473 or any of that hoopla?

Penal Code ยง12078(t)(2)

(2) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm that is not a handgun, which is a curio or relic manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor.

Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 is the dealer transfer requirement. This is the section from which you are exempted.

(d) Where neither party to the transaction holds a dealer's license issued pursuant to Section 12071, the parties to the transaction shall complete the sale, loan, or transfer of that firearm through either of the following:
(1) A licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Section 12082.
(2) A law enforcement agency pursuant to Section 12084.

You can transfer directly from one unlicensed individual to another unlicensed individual. If purchasing from a dealer though, the DROS and waiting period still apply, unless you are exempted.

trempel_ry@yahoo.com
08-11-2005, 1:53 PM
Thanks a EODGuy! I appreciate the help.