PDA

View Full Version : No response from Police Chief for possiblity of CCW permit

LongBch_SigP226
06-09-2005, 8:58 PM
I wrote to local Police Chief in L.A. county for possiblity of acquiring CCW permit. He never responded. Now what should I do? It's been over 3 weeks now so my guess is that he won't respond. I could apply with LA county Sheriff directly but I believe they won't accept the application unless I have denied CCW application from the local PD. The city I live in is not being serviced by L.A. County Sheriff and their application states that I'm required to go through my local PD first and have a proof that I was denied a CCW.

Option 1 - Go visit my local PD and submit the application in person. (So if my Police Chief denies it then I have something to submit to L.A. county Sheriff.)

Option 2 - Go directly and apply with L.A. county Sheriff

Option 3 - Just forget about it

Option 4 - Can you think of other things I can do? (Other than moving to CCW friendly cities/counties/states.)

So what do you think? Which option should I go with?

ligamentum flavum
06-10-2005, 1:03 AM
Jump through the necessary hoops and apply in person. You never know, it might be approved. But if it's not, you have proof it's denied.

imported_kantstudien
06-10-2005, 1:26 AM
This is why you mail things registered mail with proof of mailing. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

delloro
06-10-2005, 6:31 AM
3 weeks is not long if the PD is busy.

make a polite phone call to follow up.

atham@earthlink.net
06-10-2005, 7:36 AM
Be prepared to file suit if you really need that CCW. Your not going to get one in L.A. County unless you're politically connected or are willing to use a lawyer and get the data to backup your lawsuit.

hvengel
06-10-2005, 5:10 PM
The sheriff must accept your application. The city PD must also accept your application unless there is a written agreement between the sheriff and the city PD that ONLY the sheriff will process applications. So it is in fact illegal for the sheriff to require you to apply to the city PD first. Check out Jim March's web site http://www.ninehundred.net/%7Eequalccw/ where is talks about this in detail. To repeat it is illegal for the county sheriff to refuse your application.

DELTA
06-10-2005, 6:06 PM
DingChavez

The police chief is an appointed official, so if you misuse your CCW somehow, they can be sued and held liable for your actions. So unless you live in Culver City, forget about applying.

You do not have to live an area patrolled by the L.A. Sheriff's Department in order to apply. Technically speaking, ALL of L.A. County falls under the Sheriff's juristiction. Since he is an elected official, he cannot be held legally liable for your actions. So in theory, you can apply for a CCW to the Sheriff's Dept., but in reality, good luck. So you want to change things is L.A. County, well get involved in 2006 elections to replace the sheriff.

California is a MAY ISSUE state. Out of a total of 58 counties, 46 counties are CCW friendly, unfortunately, that does not include L.A.