PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a .357 revolver?

Army GI
08-13-2009, 12:12 PM
My next handgun purchase will be a DA revolver in 357 magnum. This weapon will be used for hunting and range purposes only, not CCW or self defense. So I'm thinking of going with a 5 or 6" barrel. I will also be reloading hot 357 magnum loads so ultra light frames are probably not a good idea.

I want a Colt, but I know that the King Cobra is not on the CA approved list and the Python may not be able to handle the high velocity loads I will subject it to.

I have certainly thought of the Ruger GP100. After all this will be a workhorse gun for going into the field and heavy range use, so aesthetics should not be a concern. But they are anyways:p. But They are quite large and heavy. So this also makes it a good candidate to handle the heavy 357 mag loads. But I would rather try something else a little more eye pleasing first before I go to the Ruger. Something that's currently being produced would be nice.

So does anyone have any suggestions? The only other thing I can think of is the S&W 627. My friend's dad had one that he let us shoot before, but we locked up the cylinder shooting some heavy 357 magnum loads out of it. His dad was not happy at all:o.

Paradiddle
08-13-2009, 12:18 PM
S&W - I would get an older one (pre MIM, pre lock). I'm very partial to the Model 19 but that won't fit your bill of whating to shoot super hot rounds. I'd either opt for the 586/686 or an N Frame (Highway Patrolman, etc.) so you had a big framed .357.

I'm not a fan of Ruger revolvers simply because I don't like their triggers and don't like the way they handle.

Colts are great but hard to get and you'll pay big bucks.

My .02

Jeff

SCMA-1
08-13-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm partial to S&W as they seem to have the best trigger pulls (both single and double action) out of the box; better than Rugers in general. Stainless L-frame S&W is my favorite (681, 686), although the 627 is intriguing for it's 8 shot capacity. I generally prefer a 4-5" barrel with 357's and 6" in 44's.

SCMA-1

B Strong
08-13-2009, 12:21 PM
My next handgun purchase will be a DA revolver in 357 magnum. This weapon will be used for hunting and range purposes only, not CCW or self defense. So I'm thinking of going with a 5 or 6" barrel. I will also be reloading hot 357 magnum loads so ultra light frames are probably not a good idea.

I want a Colt, but I know that the King Cobra is not on the CA approved list and the Python may not be able to handle the high velocity loads I will subject it to.

I have certainly thought of the Ruger GP100. After all this will be a workhorse gun for going into the field and heavy range use, so aesthetics should not be a concern. But they are anyways:p. But They are quite large and heavy. So this also makes it a good candidate to handle the heavy 357 mag loads. But I would rather try something else a little more eye pleasing first before I go to the Ruger. Something that's currently being produced would be nice.

So does anyone have any suggestions? The only other thing I can think of is the S&W 627. My friend's dad had one that he let us shoot before, but we locked up the cylinder shooting some heavy 357 magnum loads out of it. His dad was not happy at all:o.

If you're committed to heavy loads, the only available wheelgun that will take it w/o problems is a single action - the Ruger Blackhawk to be exact.

Smith N frames can take them, but you have to tailor the load - just don't whip up some max Keith loads and believe that you're finished w/ the job.

Army GI
08-13-2009, 12:28 PM
S&W - I would get an older one (pre MIM, pre lock). I'm very partial to the Model 19 but that won't fit your bill of whating to shoot super hot rounds. I'd either opt for the 586/686 or an N Frame (Highway Patrolman, etc.) so you had a big framed .357.

I actually was thinking of something like a highway patrolman, to be honest.

I'm not a fan of Ruger revolvers simply because I don't like their triggers and don't like the way they handle.

I agree, the Rugers don't handle very well for me. The Smiths fit me like a glove, though.

I'm partial to S&W as they seem to have the best trigger pulls (both single and double action) out of the box; better than Rugers in general. Stainless L-frame S&W is my favorite (681, 686), although the 627 is intriguing for it's 8 shot capacity. I generally prefer a 4-5" barrel with 357's and 6" in 44's.

SCMA-1

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check the Smiths out as my next option. I certainly do remember how great the trigger was on my friend's Smith 357. I do believe it was a 627 but don't remember exactly. That thing shot one hole groups from a bench (just resting the butt of the grip on the table, no rest) from 25 yards. Very cool gun.

If you're committed to heavy loads, the only available wheelgun that will take it w/o problems is a single action - the Ruger Blackhawk to be exact.

Smith N frames can take them, but you have to tailor the load - just don't whip up some max Keith loads and believe that you're finished w/ the job.

Well...let me rephrase that then. I'm not thinking of super heavy loads. I'm aiming for something with a little more pep than your regular WWB factory load. The only reason I mentioned wanting a sturdy frame was because I will be shooting them on a regular basis. Though a certain handgun can handle such loads "every once in a while" I want something that can handle repeated firings.

Rekrab
08-13-2009, 12:29 PM

An alternative would be tracking down a Redhawk in .357(There's one in the private sales for $700). It's bigger and heavier than the GP100.

Z ME FLY
08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
An alternative would be tracking down a Redhawk in .357(There's one in the private sales for $700). It's bigger and heavier than the GP100.

I would suggest Redhawk or a Super Redhawk? But a NFrame should hold up well.

Lancear15
08-13-2009, 12:37 PM
S&W 686 w/ 6" barrel

justin_5585
08-13-2009, 12:44 PM
If you can find a used king cobra, go for it! I have one with the 6" barrell, and it is so smooth and tame, even with "buffalo loads", that I can't think of anything I'd rather have. They can be had on gunbroker or gunsamerica sometimes, but usually to the tune of 1200 or so. If you can afford it, jump though!

Big Jake
08-13-2009, 1:07 PM
You will never go wrong with a Smith&Wesson!

Lancear15
08-13-2009, 1:52 PM
Forgive my ignorance, I know what pre lock is, but what is pre MIM?

Colts are great but hard to get and you'll pay big bucks.

My .02

Jeff

Miltiades
08-13-2009, 3:26 PM
I'd second the previous recommendation for a S&W 686 with 6 inch barrel.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/SW68631-1.jpg

Army GI
08-13-2009, 4:56 PM
Thanks guys!

Paradiddle
08-13-2009, 6:31 PM
Forgive my ignorance, I know what pre lock is, but what is pre MIM?

MIM is Metal Injection Molding, where powdered metal is injected into a mold and then exposed to heat and pressure to form a part.

Many, but not all, believe and purport that the earlier machined and hardened parts are better then MIMI and that pre-MIM triggers can be made/worn smoother. There are others that say a MIM part can be made just as good. My gut is the older Smiths are just nicer - hand assembled, and typically more worn in with fantastic triggers because they've been USED.

I only own pre-MIM by nature of the fact that I like older Smiths so I cannot say which is better - like I said I prefer older Smiths the Model 19 being my favorite. The Model 19 is however a gun you should probably only occasionaly shoot magnum loads in and only 158 or heavier - they don't like the hyper pressures of 110 grain .357 - the L or N frame is more suited to punishing loads. I shoot mine with .38s most of the time and stoke it with 158 grain JHP for defense.

Greg-Dawg
08-13-2009, 6:45 PM
Just go for the GP100 or...

Taurus:
http://people.timezone.com/pauld/tzpics/taurus1.jpg

Lancear15
08-14-2009, 8:41 AM
Thanks for the explanation.

MIM wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_injection_molding)

MIM is Metal Injection Molding, where powdered metal is injected into a mold and then exposed to heat and pressure to form a part.

Many, but not all, believe and purport that the earlier machined and hardened parts are better then MIMI and that pre-MIM triggers can be made/worn smoother. There are others that say a MIM part can be made just as good. My gut is the older Smiths are just nicer - hand assembled, and typically more worn in with fantastic triggers because they've been USED.

I only own pre-MIM by nature of the fact that I like older Smiths so I cannot say which is better - like I said I prefer older Smiths the Model 19 being my favorite. The Model 19 is however a gun you should probably only occasionaly shoot magnum loads in and only 158 or heavier - they don't like the hyper pressures of 110 grain .357 - the L or N frame is more suited to punishing loads. I shoot mine with .38s most of the time and stoke it with 158 grain JHP for defense.

Stamatos
08-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Taurus 608- large frame, 8 round capacity, lifetime warranty, inexpensive and lots of aftermarket goodies.

Army GI
08-16-2009, 2:31 PM
Well I went to the gun store again today and I tried out the GP100. I retract my earlier statement about what I said it feeling wrong in my hand. It must have been the grips or something, but it fit my hand like a glove! The weight and balance was just perfect. I really had my eye set on a Colt or S&W, but my uncle offered to purchase the Ruger for me as a gift. It's blue, has a 6"bbl, and is brand new. I can't turn that down!

SCMA-1
08-16-2009, 2:33 PM
Well I went to the gun store again today and I tried out the GP100. I retract my earlier statement about what I said it feeling wrong in my hand. It must have been the grips or something, but it fit my hand like a glove! The weight and balance was just perfect. I really had my eye set on a Colt or S&W, but my uncle offered to purchase the Ruger for me as a gift. It's blue, has a 6"bbl, and is brand new. I can't turn that down!

Hell yeah, how can you turn that down!:thumbsup: