PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 66 - Gunsmith Recomendations

h2harris
08-13-2009, 10:16 AM
I have acquired a S&W Model 66 38cal revolver and wish to have the forcing cone recut 11 degrees and to have the chambers polish so that the shell casings drop easy in combat reloading. Who is doing good revolver work in the SF East Bay.

Thanks,
Howard

randy
08-13-2009, 10:19 AM
www.davesmetalworks.com builds custom revolvers.

mike100
08-13-2009, 3:54 PM
I just over-nighted mine to the Smith&Wesson Performance Center Factory shop. Back in a week- relatively cheap if you don't include the $50 it cost me to send it out.

These days I assume that there aren't a lot of good smiths in Cali due to the hostile gun business environment. I've been pleased with some of the major names who take mail in work.

Sky_DiveR
08-13-2009, 5:00 PM
Perhaps a bevel of the chambers to speed reloads. Smooth up the trigger, check timing, and tighten up cylinder slop (reliability package I think it's called) might also be a good idea.

Great gun. Good round. Buy new or used? Any other custom work?

You may want to drop D1911 a line. he knows a few good smiths that used to work for Davis Company. They used to be a S&W warranty shop and made custom PPC guns back in the day. Always wonder what happened to them... along with Old Sac Armory. Don't know if any are by SF but it doesn't hurt to ask.

mtenenhaus
08-13-2009, 5:45 PM
Randy Lee in San Luis Obispo/Morro Bay (apex tactical) is one the great revolver gurus and not too far from you.