PDA

View Full Version : Ruger MKII advice please....

beauregard
08-13-2009, 10:15 AM
I hear the Ruger Mark 2 is easy to break down but tough to re-assemble, does anyone have any experience or advice regarding this?

"Re-assembly can be tricky, however, as the gun must be tilted so the barrel is rotated 135 degrees from horizontal as the mainspring housing is latched in place during the final step of reassembly. (Worded another way, the barrel must be pointed upwards at a specific angle for the pieces to fall into place properly.) If this is not done properly, the hammer strut will not seat, and the hammer will not be able to move backwards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_MK_II

Thanks, Beau

SCMA-1
08-13-2009, 10:32 AM
It's not difficult to reassemble once you know the "trick".;) That shouldn't stop you from purchasing one. They're decent 22 pistols.

SCMA-1

psango
08-13-2009, 10:40 AM
There are videos at ruger.com and on utube this one is for a MarkIII but should be ok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYHJm2P4kP0

here is an illustrated web page:
http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm

take your time and don't force anything.

It's not difficult to reassemble once you know the "trick".;) That shouldn't stop you from purchasing one. They're decent 22 pistols.

SCMA-1

rkt88edmo
08-13-2009, 10:54 AM
What is your question? It isn't hard once you understand how it works.

Cpl_Peters
08-13-2009, 11:08 AM
these are excellent pistols. my dad bought me one for my 12th birthday (my first gun). I plan to pass it down to my son one day. If you are mechanically inclined you shouldnt have to much trouble taking one apart or putting it back together.

beauregard
08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
I've never understood why some people find the Ruger MkII so hard to reassemble. I agree that one step in the process is not intuitive at all, but once you learn that trick (by reading the instructions) it is a piece of cake. I've seen posts on gun forums by guys with lots of gun experience saying that they loved the Ruger MkII but ended up selling it because it was such a huge PIA to reassemble. :confused:

snobord99
08-13-2009, 12:54 PM
I've never understood why some people find the Ruger MkII so hard to reassemble. I agree that one step in the process is not intuitive at all, but once you learn that trick (by reading the instructions) it is a piece of cake. I've seen posts on gun forums by guys with lots of gun experience saying that they loved the Ruger MkII but ended up selling it because it was such a huge PIA to reassemble. :confused:

Agreed. I have a MKIII and the first time was a pain and took me an hour and a half to take apart and put back together, but then I did it again right after to familiarize myself with it and that took less than 5 minutes. Now, 3 months later, I have it down to about 30 seconds (sans cleaning of course ;)).

Ninja45
08-13-2009, 1:01 PM
It is not hard once you know how the parts mesh and work together. Read the book, watch the step by step in You Tube, then do it about 3 times in a row in one sitting. You'll be able to do it in your sleep afterwards!

Nuuze
08-13-2009, 1:44 PM
Agreed ^

Pretty easy after the first time.

Lancear15
08-13-2009, 2:02 PM
Instruction manual and a rubber dead blow hammer and I had my mark 3 hunter apart and back together in maybe 15 minutes. removing the barrel and putting it back in the 1st time took a lot of force.

Voo
08-13-2009, 3:14 PM
Of all the guns I've had to field strip, its' by far the one that requires the most "magic". No other gun I know requires so much attention to it's position - invert/shake/tilt the gun to put it back together. It's fairly simple once you understand what's going on. But its' not similar to other guns nor is it intuitive.

I have 2 MKii's. They're my favorite .22 platform. Great guns, just a tad bit annoying to reassemble.

Youtube is probably your best friend here. Just remember that you shouldnt' have to force it. Good luck

EJsDad
08-13-2009, 3:21 PM
I actually like the way the Rugers assemble/disassemble. When i put the gun in storage I leave the hammer strut or whatever it is called out of place. That way, you cannot even pull the slide back. If I want to use it, though, it only takes me about 3 seconds to correct it.

cal3gunner
08-13-2009, 7:24 PM
just read the manual when putting it back together. Its not that hard. The MKIIs and MkII 22/45 are great guns.

roc
08-13-2009, 7:29 PM
try the rimfire section of this forum. you will find a lot more about the ruger rimfire pistols...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=165