PDA

View Full Version : won't this Willis-Starbuck chick just stay dead??

bwiese
07-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Today's SF Comicle has a maudlin paean to Meleia Willis-Starbuck, killed by her own friends in Berkeley last week in a misdirected shooting - after she'd called in a hit on some other guys that had 'dissed' her (this latter part not mentioned in the story).

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/07/23/BAGCTDSA2J1.DTL

Already, the calls for more gun control are beginning:

Her cousin Chea Castro told mourners Willis-Starbuck would have admonished them: "Instead of wasting your energy on tears, why don't you get up, get out and do something about social injustice?"

"It is up to all of us to fulfill all her dreams and aspirations," said Castro, 35, who urged mourners to fight for more gun control.

Even Willis-Starbuck's 10-year-old brother, Zachary Starbuck, who called his big sister a superhero, told the crowd: "I think we should have a gun-free future."

The shooter, C. Wilson, is already in jail. The driver, C. Hollis, has a murder warrant and $15K reward out for his capture.

Given the non-shooting driver is being charged, if a girlfriend of Willis-Starbuck were hit instead, Starbuck could've been charged as well.

Thus, this incident should be catergorized as self-inflicted/suicide. She called the shooters in on herself.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

RRangel
07-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Not to point a finger at any level headed folks that live there, but this has all the elements of something that would happen in that town.

"It is up to all of us to fulfill all her dreams and aspirations," said Castro, 35, who urged mourners to fight for more gun control.

This is a preposterous statement given the reality of the situation.

Rumpled
07-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Today's LA Times had an article that mentioned a group of men asking them to party and calling them *****es. The Times also mentions the cell phone call to one of the perps.
A bit ironic, calling a hit or scare on someone because you feel you got dissed and ending up being the victim.
Tragic, but she's no martyr or hero.

LA Times link
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ivyslay23jul23,...ll=la-home-headlines (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ivyslay23jul23,0,6196062.story?coll=la-home-headlines)

icormba
07-23-2005, 3:30 PM
"No one blames anyone in this," said Perkins, who spoke at the memorial service and was prepared to speak on Wilson's behalf in the courtroom. "We are all caught in this matrix created by too many handguns."
"

whaaaaa????

vaporone_859k@hotmail.com
07-23-2005, 4:09 PM
Wow. Bet the killer feels like a complete moron. Or feels nothing at all, seeing as he's the type to shoot indiscriminately into a crowd of people he knew contained a good friend of his.

From Hayward no less. It's where I work, it's next to where I stay.

I love how everytime a promising teen dies, they're put on an immidiate pedalstal, despite the fact that often they played a major role in their own downfall. I feel bad for her and her family but turning the blind eye everytime something like this happens is doing nothing more then creating a blameless society where the tools are villified and the people weilding them are brainwashed.

I know, preaching to the choir. Still, gotta pound this kind of common sense into every free second of the day...

Charliegone
07-23-2005, 5:18 PM
Sheesh. Still people want more gun control when she was the one who was looking for trouble? She called her "bud" to do some really bad things to these dudes, and she ends up getting killed... stupid. I'm sorry but, stupid is stupid does, she certainly wasn't an "angel" and don't blame us for that! G*****m!

Glock21Owner
07-23-2005, 6:53 PM
She was an advocate of social justice yet wanted to organize trips to the Worker's Utopias of Cuba and Vietnam. Jeez.

bwiese
07-23-2005, 7:35 PM
All properly-designed feedback systems are self-regulating http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bill W.
San Jose

HeHateMe
07-23-2005, 8:37 PM
Too bad, too sad. Karma's a funny thing.

amd64
07-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Good riddance. Another Darwin award candidate. It's fortunate they kept the tragedy within their own circle of idiots and didn't hurt any real innocent people.

The really sad thing is how people like that (including the Brady bunch) misdirect blame for their idiocy and/or crap lives onto innocent bystanders (gun owners) or inanimate objects.

I doubt the shooter is one who would have abided or been hindered by any gun law.

stator
07-24-2005, 12:04 PM
My question is how on earth did she get into Dartmouth College and who was paying for it? Affirmative action must have been changed to Extreme action while I was not looking.

SI-guru
07-24-2005, 1:25 PM
I went to one of the Ivy and African Studies has their own way of selecting students and giving out scholarships. I happened to go to college during the Apartheid years and I remember the only thing that department faculties and students do was to build a shanty town in the middle of the quad and live there for a year.
Higher education means different things for different people, sometimes books and study has nothing to do with them.

imported_1911_sfca
07-24-2005, 5:21 PM
Originally posted by bwiese:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Her cousin Chea Castro told mourners Willis-Starbuck would have admonished them: "Instead of wasting your energy on tears, why don't you get up, get out and do something about social injustice?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like enforce gun laws in Oakland?

Unfortunately, our country allows everyone freedom - including freedom for some idiots to shoot others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"It is up to all of us to fulfill all her dreams and aspirations," said Castro, 35, who urged mourners to fight for more gun control. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't they start by disarming their gang bangin' friends? The rest of us will take care of ourselves, thank you very much.

The shooter, C. Wilson, is already in jail. The driver, C. Hollis, has a murder warrant and $15K reward out for his capture.

Actually, C. Wilson was the driver and reportedly turned himself in. The shooter is still at large.

Given the non-shooting driver is being charged, if a girlfriend of Willis-Starbuck were hit instead, Starbuck could've been charged as well.

California did away with the concept of an accomplice. A driver is a principal, and the question in his case will be whether he can prove that he did not know his friend had a gun with him and intended to kill somebody.

Thus, this incident should be catergorized as self-inflicted/suicide. She called the shooters in on herself.

Yup, definitely a Darwin candidate.

rkt88edmo
07-24-2005, 8:12 PM
Is the title to a thread like this really necesssary for our happy public gunforum?

The gun control spin after the fact is ridiculous, and she did call in the strike whether she knew it would be leaded or not, but why don't we keep the tasteless titles aimed at ourselves.

SI-guru
07-25-2005, 12:25 AM
I would respectfully disagree.
There is nothing that can be said in any part of this forum will please certain segment of biased thinking society. Anything that got discussed here can be twisted to the most evil and hate speech in this world according to those who hold the opposite view.
There is no promotion of violence or anything illegal in this thread, rather we are frustrated about how people turn to violence and got punished for it while their friends choose to ignore the facts and blame someone else.
What is so tasteless about it ?

delloro
07-25-2005, 9:34 AM
Rockit is right.