PDA

View Full Version : Thursday matches at Iron Sights in Oceanside

MustangO4
08-12-2009, 8:59 PM
Has anyone shot them and have any experiences to share. I have never shot any competition and am thinking of going to give it a shot. I have my guns, mags ammo and holsters. I have plenty of pistol experience in my own hobby and in the .mil, but like I said, no matches. So, what advice do you have to share? Thanks-John

Voo
08-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Hey John,

I shoot the Thursday matches at Ironsights fairly regularly.

The events change every week and range from "Fun Steel, IPSC, Man on Man, Mystery Match". It's a very laid back atomsphere but you do have those that compete regularly so you do end up with both ends of the spectrum in terms of skill. With Camp Pendleton so close, we get a decent number of MIL guys coming out- everything from MIL instructors to regular peeps (like me).

New shooters are ALWAYS welcome. The only thing really expected is a) $12.00 for the match fee b) safe gun handling :-) We dont' discriminate on skill levels or looks :X just come out and expect to have a good time is all there really is too it.

I would say bring 150 rounds of ammo, 4 spare magazines (more is always good), @ least 3 magazine carriers, OWB/IWB hip or drop leg holster (no small of back, or shoulder rigs- for safety reasons) eyes/ears and a working gun.

Thurs. Aug 13th will be the Man on Man. Matches start at 7:00 PM. This is a pretty fun event and will have you shooting both on the move and statically at paper and reactive steel plates/poppers in a race to beat the guy whos' starting on the opposite end of the stage. It's a very VERY popular event.

Definitely come out and give it a try! Im usually a little late to these things being that I live so damn far away. But I'm one of the few asian guys running around. Chuck is usually the guy who sets these things up and if you ask for him or Andrew, they should be able to help get you setup- Do let them know you're new and havent competed before. Again, new shooters are always welcome.

MustangO4
08-13-2009, 9:49 AM
Thanks for the heads up. If i can get out of work at a reasonable time I will get there. I was going to bring a couple of .45s but can you shoot .22 as well with ammo being in short supply and $$$. I'd be interested in shooting both.

Voo
08-13-2009, 2:52 PM
John,

The match goes on for a couple of hours so even if you dont show up on time, if you can, come by and check it out for yourself.

As for the .22, I'm sorry but the minimum caliber is 9mm. .45 ACP is perfectly acceptable and a lot of guys shoot that. I do realize ammo is particular pricey right now and more difficult to purchase. Most competitive shooters I know reload. Well, I take that back, ALL the competitive shooters I know reload. The game is just too expensive to do anything but. Unless you're getting it for free, buying factory ammo is way to expensive for the average shooter.

Ill be there tonight. I hope you can make it out, even if it's to spectate.

AIMSMALL
12-08-2010, 7:20 PM
Alright, revived from the dead.... Is anyone going to Iron sights for the Man vs Man shoot tomorrow? I've never been to a match there and was thinking about going.

MustangO4
12-08-2010, 7:25 PM
I will be there. They are great with new commers. Have a reliable gun, three magazines and a holster. It will take less than 150 rounds.

AIMSMALL
12-08-2010, 8:24 PM
So just to be clear on the rules, the slower shooter is not eliminated from shooting any further is he? It's all just timed and best overall time wins I'd assume?

MustangO4
12-09-2010, 7:07 AM
NO, you get to shoot all 3-4 stages (depending on how many shooters are there. Less shooters, more stages). You just get paired against shooters of similar ability to keep it fun. Then your scores are posted on the site.

Check out www.oceansidepistol.com look under match info then check out the videos.

AIMSMALL
12-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Alright well I had a good time!, my scores were 49, 49, 45, 50.
I got a 5 point penalty for shooting the stop plate from behind the tall cover instead of the short one (I didn't realize that was a rule) but it was a nice shot anyway :). Will definately be back again. Here's a few pics I took while I was there.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/sdmxrdr/photo2-1.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/sdmxrdr/photo.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/sdmxrdr/photo3.jpg