PDA

View Full Version : Angeles first timer questions

Almostryan3
08-12-2009, 8:11 PM
Well just got my AR15 about a week ago now and am planning on trying to get up to the angeles range next week. Some questions I have seeing as this is my first time with my own gun to a range, also my first time to an outdoor range.

-Targets, little fuzzy on this. Is there already set up steel targets out at the normal distance ranges? If I just want to get some basic practice can I just go ahead and do that instead of paper?

-Paper targets, how much do they cost and what would you have to do to set them up?

-I'm sure this can differ day to day, but is everyone pretty friendly up there where I can be brave enough to ask people with experience for help and tips being a newbie up there?

-Goes along with my prior point but say I need a little help zeroing in the rifle. My buddy who I bought the gun from said its good to go but that was at an indoor range zeroed at 25yrds would like to dial it in at farther range if need be. And the scope has been removed since then once and not sure if it will still be correct when put back on the rifle.

So thats all my real big questions if anyone could shed some light on I would appreciate that. And also if you have any other tips to remember.

Oh one other thing, before I even take the rifle out of my car I was going to go in and ask maybe if someone could show me around so I could watch and get a little more comfortable with everything before I went out and started shooting, is there staff members that would be willing to do that or are they too busy to bother with this?

Thanks for any input the more experienced people here could put in!

-Ryan

69Mach1
08-12-2009, 8:21 PM
Well just got my AR15 about a week ago now and am planning on trying to get up to the angeles range next week. Some questions I have seeing as this is my first time with my own gun to a range, also my first time to an outdoor range.

-Targets, little fuzzy on this. Is there already set up steel targets out at the normal distance ranges? If I just want to get some basic practice can I just go ahead and do that instead of paper?
Angeles's main range actually has two sides. The rifle side has steel plates starting at 200 yards. The pistol side has them at the max distance of that range, at 100 yards.

-Paper targets, how much do they cost and what would you have to do to set them up?
They lend you target stands for a $4 deposit. If the stand is still intact, you get your deposit back.

-I'm sure this can differ day to day, but is everyone pretty friendly up there where I can be brave enough to ask people with experience for help and tips being a newbie up there?
There are many many other Calgunners at Angeles at any given time. Someone is sure to help you out.

-Goes along with my prior point but say I need a little help zeroing in the rifle. My buddy who I bought the gun from said its good to go but that was at an indoor range zeroed at 25yrds would like to dial it in at farther range if need be. And the scope has been removed since then once and not sure if it will still be correct when put back on the rifle.

So thats all my real big questions if anyone could shed some light on I would appreciate that. And also if you have any other tips to remember.

Oh one other thing, before I even take the rifle out of my car I was going to go in and ask maybe if someone could show me around so I could watch and get a little more comfortable with everything before I went out and started shooting, is there staff members that would be willing to do that or are they too busy to bother with this?

Thanks for any input the more experienced people here could put in!

-Ryan

Welcome to the Black Rifle Disease Ryan.

Almostryan3
08-12-2009, 8:31 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. How big are the target stands and how much are the actual paper targets?

And just to make sure I am getting this right, the left side rifle range DOES NOT have steel targets at the 100 yard line?

Haha thanks, I can feel it taking over me already! :43:

69Mach1
08-12-2009, 8:39 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. How big are the target stands and how much are the actual paper targets?
Paper targets are stapled onto the carboard. The rifle stand is 3ft wide? by 4.5ft tall, I think. Bring your own paper targets to staple on, or some "shoot N C" stickers.

And just to make sure I am getting this right, the left side rifle range DOES NOT have steel targets at the 100 yard line?

Haha thanks, I can feel it taking over me already! :43:

http://www.angelesranges.com/range_layout.jpg

69Mach1
08-12-2009, 8:41 PM
I should add that the pistol side also has steel plates close in, but only to be used with rimfire and pistol rounds, and that you can shoot a rifle on the pistol side, on the far right. You can use pistol caliber carbines anywhere on the pistol side.

Almostryan3
08-12-2009, 9:10 PM
Ok gotcha! So are the stands like the picture below? Do they have staple guns there or is that on me to bring?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/Angeles2-9-08014.jpg

Almostryan3
08-12-2009, 9:11 PM
BTW do you own a 69 mach? I'm a big car guy too, damn expensive hobbies haha

Black Majik
08-12-2009, 9:21 PM
Ok gotcha! So are the stands like the picture below? Do they have staple guns there or is that on me to bring?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/Angeles2-9-08014.jpg

I looked at the picture thinking "Holy crap! Angeles uses the same stands as us!"

Then I looked at the properties. LOL, those are Bambam-31 stands. Angeles rented stands are two sticks with a paper target you stick into wooden holders (as seen on top left of the picture).

For your questions:

There are steel targets on the pistol and rifle side as 69Mach1 has provided. Steel on rifle goes from 200 yards to 600 yards. Pistol goes from 35 yards to 100 yards.

I think it's 4 bucks, but it's been a while. You can rent them at the office, specify whether you want rifle or pistol targets

Everyone is awesome up there. Look for Dennis, he's a white guy with blonde hair, always wears a blue shirt with orange safety vest. Tell him it's your first time and he'll direct you where to go. As long as your safe and don't sweep your neighbors with your gun you'll have a great time.

You'll have to re-zero the scope most likely. I usually like to sight in rifles on the far end of the pistol side, there seems to be more wood target holders. Start at your 25 yard zero, then 50, then 100 and confirm

Good luck and have fun, it's a great range.

Got10/22?
08-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Almostryan3,

Go to their website and open their disclaimer & rules, this should get you somewhat prepared.

Almostryan3
08-13-2009, 1:11 AM
Thanks for the input Richard!

Is there a good printable "How-to" on zeroing in a scope? I'd really like to not have to do it each time I want to remove the scope to use the iron sights.

I can take it being a little off if there is no way around it but would like to have it be as close as possible and be able to remove it without re doing the whole process.

The scope is a Ncstar http://www.ncstar.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=70 so its a pretty good fit on the handle with pretty much no side to side movement and about 1/8" of front to back movement. So I don't know if that will allow it to stay closer to zero or not? I do try and get it to match the wear marking on the underside of the rail as close as possible.

And yes got10/22 I spent a good amount of time going through their entire website. Including the rules and regulation section before I bothered posting here. Just had to get some questions answered that weren't answered there :)

Black Majik
08-13-2009, 8:42 AM
Hey Ryan,

What kind of AR15 do you have, flat top or A2 with carry handle?

From the link it seems the scope mounts directly onto the carry handle. If you have a flat top AR, you can use a Larue SPR mount with back up iron sights. This way, you can take it on and off then use the iron sights. Only thing is, the Larue mount will cost more than your scope.

Your scope should not have any movement once mounted on your gun. If it does, you'll have wandering zero as you shoot.

Good luck.

ojisan
08-13-2009, 8:47 AM
What day are you going?
I'm planning for a Sunday trip there, I will be meeting a guy with a .50 cal.

socomIInato
08-13-2009, 9:32 AM
almostryan3, cute scope similar setup as mine as far as mounting too carrying handle. mine shows no practical deviation of impact from removing scope from handle as i`m still able too hit targets all the way back to the 600 yrd line. my scope is a original colt 3x made in japan with calibration adj. to 600yrds mounted on a colt HBAR. not the must expensive scope but it works great. set your target at 25 yrds and zero scope. remove scope and reinstall, fire 3 rnds, check grouping. this will tell you how much of a deviation in groupings you our getting when you remove your scope and reinstall it:84:.didn`t see that part about the scope moving, our you tightening the lever all the way down. there should be NO movement of scope in carrying handle. if movement junk setup and buy a quality scopemount from armsmount to fit carrying handle. then buy a decent scope using quality ring too mount it.

Almostryan3
08-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Its flat top with an A2 carrying handle attached.

Setup is, Vulcan lower, DPMS upper, 1:7 twist 16" chrome lined barrel, CMMG BCG, and yeah thats the basics...

As for movement on the rail I should have clarified, it does not move once tightened down but before tightening it there is a little room for front and back movement to adjust exactly where you like it, but like I said hardly any and I always try and put it back on the same spot.

As for when I was going. Was planning for Wednesday or Thursday next week.

Fate
08-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Gongs on far right of pistol range are only about 88 yards out, not 100 as stated.

Almostryan3
08-13-2009, 1:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up Fate! Can anyone confirm?

Got10/22?
08-13-2009, 1:52 PM
I'll confirm at the far right has three 14"-16" round metal plates (gongs). I can't confirm the distance though.

Almostryan3
08-13-2009, 2:01 PM
How many seats are there at that section? (far right pistol range) Is it usually filled up early on a weekday?