PDA

View Full Version : Men's Health Article = Anti-Gun

walkerboh4269
08-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Does anyone here get Men's Health?

This morning as I was doing my normal morning reading I read a article in Men's Health Call "Stuck on our Guns?" By Bill Gifford.

It was a very blatantly anti article. With the same old tired you are more likely to shoot yourself or someone you know if you own a gun. If you buy a gun you are all of a sudden going to commit suicide.

The article begins with the author stating he went to go buy a gun for self defense. And he buys a .22. Then we get the blah blah about the AMA statistics and of course the above nonsense.

The author then talks about going to the range to try out his new gun. First thing he describes doing is loading the magazine and then trying to fire the gun but nothing happens. He then whines that he does not know how the safety works and that there is no loaded chamber indicator or even a red dot to tell if the safety is on or not. Why someone would buy a gun and then not read the owners manual or familiarize themselves with the weapon is beyond me but basically that is what it seems the author has done.

Anyway he eventually figures out how to take the safety of on the gun and then complains the weapon fires when he touched the trigger, duh. The author then states he put the gun down and backs away as he was not prepared for what happened, again duh. Eventually he picks the gun back up and does finish shooting it and writes as if he enjoys the activity.

As a close to the article he describes the feeling of having some 20 year olds in the lane next to him firing a Desert Eagle 50. Next thing you know he feels in adequate with his little .22 and needs to go and rent a big bad Glock 9mm. And feels like a bigger man for the bigger holes in the target that it makes.

I think the whole point of the article was to say that guns some how bring out the bad in people and men in particular. As if this does not happen with a car or any number of other things. It seems as if the author is trying to say men just cannot be trusted with weapons. As if when we get a gun in our hands we must immediately go out and kill something anything near by.

This article really got my blood boiling this morning. I have had this magazine sent to me for Christmas for the past few years by my in-laws. I have already told them not to bother again this year.

I looked on the Men's Health Website to see if the article is posted online but I could not find it.

Sorry about the length of this post. I just had to get this out of my system. Whenever I try to talk to my wife about things like this I just get the old rolling eyes thing.

RRangel
08-15-2005, 1:55 PM
Maybe the author is really telling us he can't be trusted with guns. Which is more reason for the rest of us that can be trusted to be armed. Sucks to be him.

Mugwump
08-15-2005, 2:54 PM
Good to know. Recently, I've been trying to avoid companies that are clearly anti-gun, such as Paypal (I've heard that if they find out that your transaction is gun-related, you run the chance of having your membership revoked).

Starbucks, you're next (this will be a tough one to quit).

art_e@hotmail.com
08-16-2005, 6:51 AM
Great to hear about this, not that I read that mag anyway. Did you write the editor to point out how stupid the article's author was?

Bling Bling
08-16-2005, 8:30 AM
What a wuss. Most pistols are easier to figure out than many power tools. He should write an article about using a table saw. But if you are too ignorant to realize the mechanics of a gun and how it works, you shouldn't have one. But that's for you to decide not Mr. whiney Mens Health author.

walkerboh4269
08-17-2005, 10:55 AM
I do intend to write a letter and voice my disproval.

Sometimes I am not very eloquent in my writing ability.

I think what I will do is sit down over the weekend and spend going step by step through the article and dispute the claims made.

I think I will also post a copy on here before I send it for view by you guys.

walkerboh4269
08-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Bling Bling:
What a wuss. Most pistols are easier to figure out than many power tools. He should write an article about using a table saw. But if you are too ignorant to realize the mechanics of a gun and how it works, you shouldn't have one. But that's for you to decide not Mr. whiney Mens Health author.

Your post reminds that there was a sidebar to the article pointing out how many safeties there are on various power tools and how many injures per year were attributed to each one.

And of course the handgun was the top of the injury list.