PDA

View Full Version : Speer Gold dots

40CAL
08-12-2009, 2:30 PM
Are Speer Gold Dots GD a hollow point? I see a few different types.
GD, GD HP, LE what are the difference?

LE= law enforcement

HP=hollow point?

GD= ?

or GD HP= ?

I was looking to get some Speer Gold Dots in hollow point for home defence.

Thanks.

dchang0
08-12-2009, 3:23 PM
Abbreviation Key:
BT - boat tail, FMJ - full metal jacket, FN - flat nose, GD - Gold Dot, HP - hollow point, SP - soft point,
TMJ - encased-core full jacket, RN - round nose, SWC - semi-wadcutter, WC - wadcutter

No mention of LE, but you are probably right. LE=Law Enforcement.

The Tech-1
08-12-2009, 3:24 PM
Yea GDHP just means gold dot hollow point.

PutTogether
08-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Gold Dot is a type of bullet made by Speer. You can buy actual loaded cartridges that use a gold dot bullet in a multitude of different calibers. I believe that you can also purchase just the bullets and load your own ammo if you were so inclined.

The gold dot is a hollow point. A modern, "high tech" type hollowpoint that is designed to give maximum penetration, while still maintaining reliable expansion. It got it's name "gold dot" because after mushrooming during expansion, a small "gold dot" (actually copper) is visible through the expanded petals.

Many manufacturers make their own high end, high tech type hollow point bullets and give them their own special names. Speer makes the Gold Dot, Remington makes the Golden Sabre, and Winchester makes the Silvertip, and the Ranger-T.

Gold Dot is just Speer's high end version of a hollowpoint.

To simplify it to high school logic class: All Gold Dot's are hollow points, but not all hollow points are Gold Dots.

PutTogether
08-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Oh, and since I answered your question, now I feel entitled to give unsolicited advice:

You mention you were "looking to get some gold dots....." for home defense. I can't fault your choice, they are an excellent bullet. But i URGE you (especially if your gun is a semi auto) to NOT just buy a box of them and call it a day.

Buy enough to actually test the round in your gun to make sure you know how it feels, and that your gun will reliably function with the round. I don't care if someone has the most reliable, never failed to fire, glock ever made, if you are going to use a particular load in a pistol for home defense, run at LEAST 150 rounds through the gun, WITH THE SAME MAGAZINE(S) you plan to use in it to make sure it runs right. Don't cheap out on this one.

I would allow that you may not need as many to test function if you are using a revolver, but it is still a good idea if only to know what to expect - how the round will recoil, where it will hit, etc etc etc.

epic4444
08-12-2009, 11:34 PM
gold dots are the best hollowpoint/defense ammo in book..never had a problem..but to each his own

Katana
08-12-2009, 11:45 PM
For all intents and purposes, all Speer Gold Dot ammo is Hollow Point. I believe some of their heavy hunting bullets (such as 44 Mag.) are Semi-Jacketed Soft Points.

Although Speer does promote GD ammo for LE use, as far as I know they do not have a "For Law Enforcement Use Only" sales policy.

Speer GD ammo has an excellent reputation for reliable and consistent performance.

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/gold_dot_const.aspx

MarioS
08-13-2009, 12:31 AM
It would be a great round for HD. Many LE agencies use it in their service weapons. I keep some on hand as well. You do not have to be LE to possess them.

+1 to what PutTogether said. Buy 150-250 rounds of it. Run a good number through as test rounds to ensure functionality and then load some mags full of it. Keep the rest (at least a box or two) in the boxes, your own case, or your bugout bag in case things deteriorate quickly and you have to leave while taking some with you.

BillCA
08-13-2009, 2:52 AM
Actually, I'll agree with the above advice about function-testing the ammo in your gun, but with a way to keep the expense down and still have good confidence that your gun will run reliabily.

Purchase, at a minimum, enough ammo for three magazines full. Load a full magazine and fire 3 rounds for accuracy (slow fire). Now fire the rest of the magazine in "double taps" (rapid pairs). If no malfunctions, stage one is complete.

Load a bullet into the magazine and chamber the round from the magazine. Reload the magazine with 2 HP rounds to be the last ones fired, fill the magazine with FMJ and the "top 3" rounds should be HP rounds. Load the magazine and fire double-taps until empty. This checks the reliability of the gun feeding HP's with a full mag and at the bottom of a nearly empty mag, when spring tension is lightest.

Repeat with your spare magazine(s). This takes about 20 rounds of premium per mag (assuming a 15 rd mag) plus some FMJ range ammo. It tests the reliability of the ammo through all phases of the cycle, especially at the top of the magazine and bottom, where FTFs seem most likely to occur.

When loading magazine on a budget, I suggest loading only the primary magazine with JHP's and using less expensive FMJ or less expensive JHP (WWB, AE, etc) in your spare magazine. This is based on the idea that you're most likely to use less than a full magazine in the first place. And if you're loading a 2nd magazine, you're wasting money with your misses or you need penetration from FMJ.

TenSeven
08-13-2009, 3:04 AM
Buy enough to actually test the round in your gun..

This is excellent advice. Do do do test your self-defense pistol AND the ammo as much as you can afford. Worth every dime.

Vin496
08-13-2009, 4:22 AM
If you notice Speer GD come in packs of 20, while Speer GD LE come in a pack of 50.

For that matter any LE marked box of HD ammo I have seen, seems to come in a box of 50. I believe that is the difference, just the packaging.

Gregchico
08-13-2009, 7:31 AM
+1 on the testing...

Personal story.

I have a S&W 340 that I like to carry 357 loads in. I actually had some other high end bullets "hammer pull" during testing, freezing the cylinder. So far, after 80-ish rounds over 2 years, no Gold Dot 357, 135gr short barrel rounds have exhibited that issue.

jazman
08-13-2009, 7:44 AM
I shoot .38+P Gold Dots pretty well exclusively in my 642; from what I have read the round was developed to excel in snub nosed guns and is also used by LE. Good stuff.

Res
08-13-2009, 9:12 AM
I shoot .38+P Gold Dots pretty well exclusively in my 642; from what I have read the round was developed to excel in snub nosed guns and is also used by LE. Good stuff.

jazman, have you ever done any "ballistic" testing with your GD's? I shot some out of my 637 into wet newspaper and wasn't satisfied with the results. Hardly any expansion, with only one side of the pedals opening up. All of the ammo was out of one box, so maybe i need to get a few more boxes and try a few from each.

40CAL
08-13-2009, 4:10 PM
Sure will test out the gun as much possible. Great feedback and advise from all you. Ive heard nothing but good stuff from speer gold dots. The only thing is finding them. Ive really had no luck. I have some federal fmj 180gr for now it was all i could find. i just needed to have something. What good is it to have a gun if you have no ammo. But im still looking around for the gold dots.

Thanks.

dchang0
08-13-2009, 5:03 PM
jazman, have you ever done any "ballistic" testing with your GD's? I shot some out of my 637 into wet newspaper and wasn't satisfied with the results. Hardly any expansion, with only one side of the pedals opening up. All of the ammo was out of one box, so maybe i need to get a few more boxes and try a few from each.

Wet newspaper doesn't have enough free fluid for the hydraulic pressure to open the petals up. Try shooting a watermelon, gallon of water, etc., with a backstop to recover the bullet. Or, of course, you could mold your own ballistic gelatin using recipes on the web.

---

Note to others: It used to be that all Gold Dots were Hollow Points, but they now have a Gold Dot Soft Point in the .357 Mag and .44 Mag loads. I am not sure why, since I know very little about those rounds.

MarioS
08-13-2009, 11:43 PM
If you notice Speer GD come in packs of 20, while Speer GD LE come in a pack of 50.

For that matter any LE marked box of HD ammo I have seen, seems to come in a box of 50. I believe that is the difference, just the packaging.

I always found this funny since they sell the 20-round boxes for basically the same price as the 50-round "LE" boxes. And I know for a fact that there is no way that the rounds put into the "LE" boxes are of worse quality than the 20-round civ boxes.

low94noma
08-14-2009, 9:21 AM
Speer Gold Dots have proved reliable so far. Feed really well in my G26 and have 4 mags full of the Gold Dots for my nightstand gun. As far as .38+P, 135gr Gold Dots will be used in my wheel gun. How is your 642? I will have the 442 no lock here soon enough, already got my Safariland Comp 1's;).

sobiloff
08-16-2009, 10:49 AM

Gold dots have the best terminal performance of any bullet that's readily available to non-law enforcement personnel. Check out the terminal ballistics at <http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm>.

jazman
08-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Speer Gold Dots have proved reliable so far. Feed really well in my G26 and have 4 mags full of the Gold Dots for my nightstand gun. As far as .38+P, 135gr Gold Dots will be used in my wheel gun. How is your 642? I will have the 442 no lock here soon enough, already got my Safariland Comp 1's;).

Not to hijack, but I really like my 642. I had it customized by Gemini Custom and it is a way smooth shooter.
I got lucky on the Gold Dots about a year or so ago, one of the Colt Forum guys posted about a source in NY that had them for an outstanding price so I got a case (20 boxes of 50). Worked out nice so I can practice with it and also keep it loaded for self defense.

maxicon
08-17-2009, 5:40 PM
I've shot thousands of rounds of Speer GD in 9mm, .380, and .38 (short barrel version), with no problems. These days, I shoot a mag or a couple of cylinders of the good stuff, then use range ammo for the rest of the session, but my main guns are well tested with it at this point.

The Speer loads come in nickel cases. Lots of other people load the bullets in a variety of cases and loads.

Some years back, Speer had some problems with primer ignition on a few batches, and sold 9mm and .380 practice ammo bulk packs for dirt cheap.

It was perfect range ammo - it cost a little more than FMJ, and let me practice with the inexpensive ones, while keeping the guns loaded up with the good lots.

Out of those thousands of rounds, I never had one fail.

It cost $90/500 shipped (WWB 9mm was $10/100 at the time). I wish I had bought a whole lot more, especially of the .380.

http://maxicon.com/guns/ammo/380_gold_dot_unsealed-a.jpg

Glock619
08-20-2009, 10:29 AM
glad i found this thread, great advice. just picked up one box of 25 golden sabres. now, im going back and buying 2 more, to test and fully load third mag. ouch.

golden sabres good? coworkers use hydrashoks, not sure if i want those though

Black Majik
08-20-2009, 10:34 AM
glad i found this thread, great advice. just picked up one box of 25 golden sabres. now, im going back and buying 2 more, to test and fully load third mag. ouch.

golden sabres good? coworkers use hydrashoks, not sure if i want those though

Golden Sabers are fine, just test it to verify it works. I like Remington's GS more than the Hydrashok.

sobiloff
08-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Golden Sabers are fine, just test it to verify it works. I like Remington's GS more than the Hydrashok.

...but note that both are older generation bullets that aren't as effective as Gold Dots (per the terminal ballistics like I posted above). With the scarcity of ammo right now, though, it's probably more important to get a couple hundred rounds of one kind of ammo and make sure it functions flawlessly in your pistol before you rely on in for self defense.

Black Majik
08-20-2009, 11:18 AM
...but note that both are older generation bullets that aren't as effective as Gold Dots (per the terminal ballistics like I posted above). With the scarcity of ammo right now, though, it's probably more important to get a couple hundred rounds of one kind of ammo and make sure it functions flawlessly in your pistol before you rely on in for self defense.

Very true. I was making note between the two choices he mentioned, but good point. Thanks for bringing it up.

Glock619
08-20-2009, 12:18 PM
ok cool thanks. what should i get for a g23 then?

maxicon
08-21-2009, 9:16 AM
I like using the same ammo in all my pistols. A G23, like a CZ75, should digest just about anything. Everything I have eats the same practice ammo and defense ammo, which keeps everything simple.

My main exception is my Sig P6, which doesn't like Gold Dot, but it's happy with the Federal EFMJ +P I have a pile of, so that works out fine. I'm running low on the cheap Gold Dot anyway, and have started changing over to the EFMJ on everything.