PDA

View Full Version : SIg 226 .22 conversion

eighteenninetytwo
08-12-2009, 1:43 PM
I just fitted a sig 226 .22lR conversion kit. How long does it take to get these settled in and working relibaly? thus far it has been pretty unreliable, especially as regards chambering the next round. I often have to push the slide closed as it picks up the round but doesn't seem to have the strength to push it entirely into the chamber and it sticks half chambered. ANyone else have this issue? PS apart form that I love the fact I can practice for pennies as opposed to Dollars.

Iknownot
08-12-2009, 1:50 PM
I had problems with mine off the bat and had to send it into sig for warranty work (which they paid for shipping, both ways).

The kit came back to me and it basically is 100% now. I'll get a ftf here or there using cheapy walmart 22lr and it will work perfect using the recommended high velocity 22lr. I have no complaints with the kit after having to send it in.

trapshot68
08-12-2009, 2:08 PM
When I got mine, I only had like 3 failure to feeds like you described.

However, I also ran my slide a little wet.

Lube on the rails standard sig style, and a bunch of CLP on the top of the breech where it rides into the slide. After that, runs like a champ. ANd totally fun.

dchang0
08-12-2009, 2:14 PM
Some people polish the feedramp and chamber to help with FTF problems. Also, some types of ammo are problematic. CCI Mini Mags, for instance refuse to feed reliably in my .22LR.

sixniner
08-12-2009, 4:25 PM
You may want to check out Sigpower
https://www.collectors-society-slabs.com/shoppingcart/index.php

Jeff makes aftermarket replacement parts for 22lr kit. Replace the guiderod & spring will definitely help. If you want, he has other toys such as mag plug to increase capacity, follower to keep the slide lock back after the last round fired...

sixniner
08-12-2009, 4:28 PM
http://www.collectors-society-slabs.com/images/image5.jpg
http://www.collectors-society-slabs.com/images/image10.jpg
http://www.collectors-society-slabs.com/shopimages/2spring.jpg

s*******n
08-12-2009, 5:05 PM
I have a conversion kit for my P220R. It works flawlessly. I will send by PM some suggestions that I sent to another member who was having problems with the conversion kit for his P226R.

leelaw
08-12-2009, 7:05 PM
I tried the springs from Jeff at sigpower, and found that they were a little light, and didn't cycle the slide fully, even when wet (on my P226R SS frame). YMMV

I have a conversion kit for my P220R. It works flawlessly. I will send by PM some suggestions that I sent to another member who was having problems with the conversion kit for his P226R.

Why wouldn't you post here so everyone can see?

Greg-Dawg
08-12-2009, 7:08 PM
Have you tried different types of ammo?

leelaw
08-12-2009, 7:37 PM
Have you tried different types of ammo?Yes. The problem was returning to full battery, not cycling the rounds.

liketoshoot
08-12-2009, 7:54 PM
Got my P226 conversion from a member here and have had some break in problems, if you can get some CCI hi power rounds and use around 2-300, use lots of grease not oil on the slide I still get some FTL and some FTE but I'm using bulk ammo rated around 1280fps and you always have a few using them.
good luck and hope it breaks in fast because it is fun!!

bsg
08-12-2009, 8:46 PM
i have long wanted a conversion kit that works.... will keep waiting until sig gets it right.

leelaw
08-12-2009, 8:58 PM
i have long wanted a conversion kit that works.... will keep waiting until sig gets it right.

The Sig kit is a great kit, and pretty darn reliable. I just had troubles with an aftermarket recoil spring.

Iknownot
08-13-2009, 12:54 AM

Warranty work notwithstanding, the conversion kit, at least mine now, works.

I run 200-300 rounds through it at a time when I take it to the range.

I'll have have a small handful of ftf's, using cheapy walmart 22lr. (some cheapy walmart 22lr works better than others). In any case, I can't complain about an ftf here or there. The kit is basically flawless for me and if I use hi velocity 22lr, as recommended, the kit is 100% reliable.

Overall, I'd recommend it. I've certainly gotten a lot of use out of mine.