PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1911 Commander custom rear sight replacement?

FurWolf
08-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone,

First time posting so I'm sorry if I'm posting incorrectly or in the wrong area.

I recently got a fantastic deal on a Colt .45 Combat Commander. Its a superb gun, but I'm having a problem with the rear sight on it.

Someone, at some point, put an MMC Adjustable rear site on it. Per Gary Thiry (gunsmith) it was a very common mod because one didn't have to replace the front sight, just the rear. The problem, though, is that the rear slide has to be opened up a bit to fit a slightly larger sight.

My problem, in short, is that the rear sight on mine is worthless. I moves all over the place and appears to be beyond repair. A replacement, however, seems to be almost impossible to find.

Has anyone run into this? Anyone know of a sight that will fit? Gary is trying to track down another sight but I just thought I'd check here, since you guys are all so awesome :)

Thanks!
-FW

hawk1
08-12-2009, 10:31 AM
If it is this sight,

http://store.ptnightsights.com/images/products/preview/mmc%201911.jpg

Then from I read it fits a Novak Style dovetail. That is a really popular cut so you should have no problem finding something you like. Verify with your gunsmith that it is indeed a Novak cut and how deep the cut is.

Welcome to Calguns...:)

FurWolf
08-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Its nothing even close to being that nice. I took a couple pictures of the gun so I'm trying to track it down, I guess I should have taken a good one before I dropped the gun off w/ Gary.

-FW