View Full Version : opinions on electronic hearing protection

06-13-2005, 10:37 PM
I would like to upgrade to electronic hearing protection. Anybody have recomendations? What features should I look for? I would like to keep the price around the $80-$100 range.

06-14-2005, 6:53 AM
I also saw Peltor Tac 7's - a little more expensive but they seem to be "better" than the 6's?

06-14-2005, 11:39 AM

I have a pair of Radians Pro-Amps and they are a pretty good pair of electronic muffs for the money. Mine have withstood rapid fire from comp pistols and several hundred rounds of .50BMG. If you shop around eBay or other sites, you can probably pick one up for under $85 with shipping.

If you look at the Peltor 6, Radians Pro-Amps, and Dillon HP-1, they look pretty much the same. Could they be made the same company?

For further info: http://www.radians.com

06-14-2005, 1:17 PM
I use el cheapo Harbor Freight electronic ear muffs.

Bulkier that the expensive ones but they do the job.

06-14-2005, 2:38 PM
Since hearing protection/muffs are a buy once use forever kind of item, what would you guys suggest with price not being a consideration?

I have an old pair of passive ear muffs which are not very comfortable and get pretty sweaty. My old ear plugs are also not very effective.

06-15-2005, 12:40 AM
I also bought the harbor tool and freight ones to test. They have been good so far. 12 trips and counting. For 20 bucks why not?

06-15-2005, 5:25 AM
I bought a pair of Silencio Rangesafe X-85's a few years ago.
They clip off as mentioned above in Tac'Ted's post.
They are also big and heavy.
I don't wear them too much anymore.
My daughter likes them though...probably more for the 'gee-whiz' factor.

I recently had a pair of custom-molded ear plugs made and they are GREAT!

I still want to try out something like the Walker's GameEar Digital.

Anyone have any Walker's ?

06-16-2005, 12:48 PM
I have the Peltor 6S. It has a stainless steel behind the head band. Perfect for folks who like wearing a hat while shooting (me). The ear cups are also low profile enough to not interfere with the cheek to stock weld on all of my rifles and shotguns.

From Midway for $70.00

07-01-2005, 1:04 AM
Which model of Pro Ears do you guys have/like?