PDA

View Full Version : EDit: NG 11B

D53
08-11-2009, 2:02 PM
Alright well after getting excited about re enlisting and being able to go to a new MOS, I just found out today that since when I was in the RA a couple years back ago as 11B1P, that now if I want to join the NG I have to enlist as 11B once again. So once again, any NG 11B's on here that can give me some insite, my recruiter doesn't have any info on the local units ( sacramento) so just looking to see what the drills are like, for any prior service guys what type of refresher course did you have to go through? I asked about WTC, but told I wouldn't have to do that. Any info is appreciated.

I left the original post up just to keep the backstore on the original post up.

So I am prior service Active Army (11B1P) talking to a local NG recruiter and I was looking at doing one fo two jobs. I am really interested in 89D EOD ( and no not because of the hurt locker) but it is a job that I have always been interested in ever since I first watched Blown Away back in the day. Yes I know its not all that glamourus, but I am interested in the job non the less.
I am also interested in 31B (MP). I am located in Fair Oaks (Sacramento) and I know that there is a local MP untit ( 40th MP I belive) and from what I gather there is a EOD unit in Fresno (217th Ordnance Company).

I am wondering if there is anyone on this board that is either a NG 89D or 31B that would be willing to lend me some time and exchange pm's on some questions I have about drills, training deployments, combat deployments, local service, etc. Unfortunally my local recruiter doesn't have the majority of the answer I am looking for and while searching google and the NG forum I really haven't found the answers I am looking for to make my final decision.

So if there are any Calgunners out there that are willing to spare some time send me a pm and we can set something up. Thanks Chris

goathead
08-11-2009, 2:36 PM
EOD long school almost a year

J_B
08-11-2009, 3:02 PM
from Sacto area (Roseville)...long story short. Left my unit in Dublin (35L-alleged..again long story) now looking for a home. Since I do patrol for a living 31B not a bad idea but I heard there's a new unit in Concord, 31E.

From what the retention NCO told me is that the unit at BT Collins, will deploy like most ricky tick tick. If you want it, go get it. That's just what I've been told.

I'm not sure if 31B is what I'm looking for.

EDIT: My buddy is an LT out there at the NG MP unit. I'll check with him. Haven't been talking to him as he's been super busy.

D53
08-11-2009, 5:34 PM
from Sacto area (Roseville)...long story short. Left my unit in Dublin (35L-alleged..again long story) now looking for a home. Since I do patrol for a living 31B not a bad idea but I heard there's a new unit in Concord, 31E.

From what the retention NCO told me is that the unit at BT Collins, will deploy like most ricky tick tick. If you want it, go get it. That's just what I've been told.

I'm not sure if 31B is what I'm looking for.

EDIT: My buddy is an LT out there at the NG MP unit. I'll check with him. Haven't been talking to him as he's been super busy.

I am not sure if this is correct but 31E is Corrections, right? And from the last I heard from my recruiter, I would not have to go to a BT, just a I guess "tech school" that is down in San Luis Obispo for 4 weeks, which I though was funny since the Active Army told me if I wanted to re enlist I would have to go to WTC out at Fort Sill/ White Sands Missle range. And thanks for checking in with your LT buddy to get some info!

EOD long school almost a year

thanks for the info, I was reading what little info they have on the NG offical website and it was saying I would be in Alabama then Florida both for training. And honestly as long as I am getting paid to pay the bills, I dont mind the classes. Especially with a job like EOD, I would prefer the maximum amount of training as possible.

PRODRIVE
08-11-2009, 5:38 PM
i am 89b...

J_B
08-11-2009, 5:42 PM
I am not sure if this is correct but 31E is Corrections, right? And from the last I heard from my recruiter, I would not have to go to a BT, just a I guess "tech school" that is down in San Luis Obispo for 4 weeks, which I though was funny since the Active Army told me if I wanted to re enlist I would have to go to WTC out at Fort Sill/ White Sands Missle range. And thanks for checking in with your LT buddy to get some info!

thanks for the info, I was reading what little info they have on the NG offical website and it was saying I would be in Alabama then Florida both for training. And honestly as long as I am getting paid to pay the bills, I dont mind the classes. Especially with a job like EOD, I would prefer the maximum amount of training as possible.

My buddy is gone...as in, got orders, got shipped to the SandBox. I was just down in SLO for quals w/my unit. There were a bunch of soldiers running around w/red training guns/radios.

I didn't have to go WTC. I'm prior enlisted Marine Corps.

D53
08-12-2009, 1:39 PM
original posted edited for new info:

Well the recruiter just remembered today that since I am MOSqed as 11B that due to the new rules, I am only aloud to enlist as 11B and if I choose to change MOS later on I might be able to do so. :rolleyes: So the wife will be super pist, but it looks like I am going back to the Infantry. Thanks for the replys.

Lost
08-13-2009, 12:30 PM
I think C Co. 1-184th is in your neck of the woods (Auburn). Can't you sign up, transfer units, then get MOSQ'd in the new unit? Who cares if you have to sign up as 11B. It's a little more of a headache to make the change, but I doubt you'd have to go to school for it again.

I would talk to another recruiter to see if their stories match up. Sounds a little strange to me, but then again, I know nothing about recruiting and retention.

D53
08-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I think C Co. 1-184th is in your neck of the woods (Auburn). Can't you sign up, transfer units, then get MOSQ'd in the new unit? Who cares if you have to sign up as 11B. It's a little more of a headache to make the change, but I doubt you'd have to go to school for it again.

I would talk to another recruiter to see if their stories match up. Sounds a little strange to me, but then again, I know nothing about recruiting and retention.

Thanks for the info. The recruiter told me to do the same thing, enlist as 11B then after 6 monthes write a letter to my first sergeant stating that I would like to change my MOS to be eithe MP or EOD since it is what I would like to do in my civilian career. But honestly the more I think about it, I wouldnt mind being 11B1P again, just dont feel like hearing it from the wife and the in -laws again.

Lost
08-13-2009, 3:03 PM
Thanks for the info. The recruiter told me to do the same thing, enlist as 11B then after 6 monthes write a letter to my first sergeant stating that I would like to change my MOS to be eithe MP or EOD since it is what I would like to do in my civilian career. But honestly the more I think about it, I wouldnt mind being 11B1P again, just dont feel like hearing it from the wife and the in -laws again.

Good luck finding an airborne unit out here. 1-184th used to be air assault, but after the re-alignment, they became a light infantry unit. The 1-160th is mechanized, and I think that is about it for infantry units aside from A Troop 1-18th Cav (I believe A Troop has a platoon of infantrymen).

Edit: You may want to also look at the Nevada National Guard. They have money and might have an airborne unit. Just a thought, you don't seem to be THAT far from Nevada. hehe

Oregon
08-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Contact Willy he was with the MPs before he became a medic. He will be able to help you out if you want to go that route. C co 1-184 IN is up in auburn, im from there they can help you out also

docsmileyface
08-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Contact Willy he was with the MPs before he became a medic. He will be able to help you out if you want to go that route. C co 1-184 IN is up in auburn, im from there they can help you out also

+1 Charlie Rock, good group of guys.

D53
08-14-2009, 4:34 PM
+1 Charlie Rock, good group of guys.

yep, it looks like thats where I am going to be headed. Unless I choose to go to the unit in Dublin. B. co. I am not positive but I think B co. is Mech.

Lost
08-14-2009, 8:49 PM
I think all of the 1-184 is Light, isn't it? The 1-160th is the only mech infantry unit in CA if I'm not mistaken (and then there's the 1-18th Cav).

D53
08-14-2009, 9:29 PM
I think all of the 1-184 is Light, isn't it? The 1-160th is the only mech infantry unit in CA if I'm not mistaken (and then there's the 1-18th Cav).

yep, once again, your correct on that one

docsmileyface
08-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Stormfeather and I are from B Co in Dublin, they're just getting back from deployment right now. We brought a lot of the Charlie Rock guys with us too.

I'd recommend going to whatever one is closer to you though, which sounds like C Co due to the fact that when we go out to the field we almost always go out as a BN and train together so you'll get the same deal out of it without having to travel farther.

1SGMAT
08-18-2009, 7:52 AM
C Co 1-184th is your best bet. 530-823-4917 will get you their Readiness NCO. You may want to be up front with your intention of getting a new MOS. I believe they are at full strength and that might make the 1SG more apt to allow a TRF after such a short time in the unit.

goathead
08-18-2009, 3:52 PM

i just came from 1-160th there light
the only mech is 185th cab

Lost
08-18-2009, 10:13 PM
i just came from 1-160th there light
the only mech is 185th cab

Thank you for the correction. Someone needs to change their web page info. hahaha

KAVEMAN762
08-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Hey sorry D money for the thread Jack:)...... But what is the reason you went to the Army after the corps? Just wondering....

My buddy is gone...as in, got orders, got shipped to the SandBox. I was just down in SLO for quals w/my unit. There were a bunch of soldiers running around w/red training guns/radios.

I didn't have to go WTC. I'm prior enlisted Marine Corps.

D53
08-19-2009, 12:27 PM
C Co 1-184th is your best bet. 530-823-4917 will get you their Readiness NCO. You may want to be up front with your intention of getting a new MOS. I believe they are at full strength and that might make the 1SG more apt to allow a TRF after such a short time in the unit.

Thanks for the number, I will give thm a call later this week. And once again thanks to everyone for their info/input. :thumbsup:

J_B
08-25-2009, 12:42 AM
Hey sorry D money for the thread Jack:)...... But what is the reason you went to the Army after the corps? Just wondering....

Well, the Marine Corps decided to enforce the tattoo policy. My lil bro and I went out and got sleeved up so when we both got the bright idea to reenlist reserves, they laughed at us. I still love the Corps regardless.

Army Reserve said they'd give me nice bonus etc. I qualified for some cool stuff and since my Uncle (RIP) was a retired SF SFC I thought I'd go Army. He was pretty disappointed that I went Corps instead of Army back then...

AGGRESSOR
10-15-2009, 10:04 PM

Don't go in as a 11B and try to get another MOS. It won't happen! Once the Grunts get you, they're not letting you go. You need to talk to the First Sargeant(Readiness NCO) of the unit you're interested in and try that way.