PDA

View Full Version : US Navy IA Orders

ercraw
08-11-2009, 12:15 PM
This last weekend I received orders to be deployed to Bagram, Afghanistan. To be sure, I am honored that I was chosen to sever my country in a higher capacity than currently serving, although I will miss my wife tremendously.

In October I will be sent to train for "Basic Combat Operations" with the Army. This is something I know nothing about and therefore began my research yesterday. My research led me to a lot of information that can be daunting for a sailor, ask me about a ship, almost any ship, and I will be able to tell you its weapons platform, it self defense capability, it primary mission and so on. But the Army? Wow, that is a whole different world to a born, molded and “model” sailor.

I have so many questions to ask about the Army but I thought I would start off with a few basic questions:

What gear will I need whilst I am in Afghanistan that the Army / Navy will not issue? I know, I know the sailor in me agrees, everything I need the Navy has already issued to me. But really, there are items or gear that the civilian market does or makes a little bit better or that will just make my life a little bit easier.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find information about what I will be learning whilst I am in pre-deployment training. The list below are the topics the training “may include”:

PT
Army Values
Basic Rifle Marksmanship
Crew Serve Weapons
9MM Qualification
M-16 Qualification
IED
Urban Ops & Entry Control Point
Convoy Ops
NBC
Hot/Cold Weather Casualty
EST/FATS (simulator) Situational Training Exercise
Forward Operating Base
Land Navigation
Communication
First aid
Quick / Reactive Fire
Rules Of Engagement
Rules Of Force
Night Fire Code of Conduct
Law of Land
Personnel Recovery
SAEDA/OPSEC
UCMJ
Geneva Convention
Cultural Awareness
Grenades

A lot of these I can cover on my own but any insight or field and training manuals will be great.

KUJO
08-11-2009, 12:58 PM
I really hate to read TM's or FM's and to me it seems like I don't learn from them as well. So here are some schools if you are interested all of them should be free, and I think you should be able to take courses from all of these schools.

I think the website is down right now (should be back up in a day) but you can take courses through JOINT WARFIGHTING CENTER (JKDDC) The classes are designed and for all branches in the US Military and other allied nations. Has a lot of info on ROE, LOAC, Geneva, Hague, Weapons, Security, Contractors, Safety, Cultural Awareness, SAEDA/OPSEC.

http://jko.jfcom.mil/

Here is an intro for the online school.

Welcome to JKO Joint Knowledge Online!

JKO is your entry to individual joint training and competency. Consider this
your essential resource for joint preparation. As the cornerstone for
accessible, relevant, real-time individual joint training, JKO provides a
comprehensive Web-based source of joint training information and tools. You'll
find JKO courseware providing training opportunities to prepare for joint
training events or real-world operations. You'll also find learning support
with access to subject matter experts, real-time critical information and
lessons learned. Use JKO as your personal development plan as you build a
profile, track your training and take advantage of recommended learning
activities.

The goal of Joint Knowledge Online is to provide the training support
necessary to prepare individuals for interoperable joint forces - a spectrum
that may include integrated operations with Inter-governmental, Inter-Agency
and multi-national partnerships.

I think you might also be able to take some of the Marines.net courses and should help you a lot with the weapons info, anti-terrorism, Land Navigation, and ROE.

Also the Defense Ammunition Center is another valuable school. A few of the classes are ACE accredited, and they have Army, Air Force, and Navy Courses on Explosive handling, and safety, as well as a lot of haz-mat training. Notice that the DAC school is actually a dot EDU, shows that is about education. Also if you want to take the classes I can help you out and show you which ones are accredited and how to get the credits for them.

http://ammo.okstate.edu/

Intro for DAC

The Directorate for Training provides ammunition-related training for Department of Defense (DOD) military and civilian personnel. We offer a variety of training through our on-site mobile training teams (MTTs), accredited off-campus instruction (AOCI) facilities, and distance learning products. As part of the U.S. Army Defense Ammunition Center (DAC), we are well-equipped to develop and provide training in all aspects of munitions-related training for AMC, DA, and other DOD personnel and agencies.

If you need any help with these schools I can help you out, I hated trying to learn it by myself, finding info on schools and training was hard when it seemed like nobody in my command wanted to help out. There are some other schools out there but these I think will help you the most.

I may only be an E-3 But I know my stuff.

Rem222
08-11-2009, 1:59 PM
Good luck and thanks for your service....

goathead
08-11-2009, 2:39 PM
This last weekend I received orders to be deployed to Bagram, Afghanistan. To be sure, I am honored that I was chosen to sever my country in a higher capacity than currently serving, although I will miss my wife tremendously.

In October I will be sent to train for "Basic Combat Operations" with the Army. This is something I know nothing about and therefore began my research yesterday. My research led me to a lot of information that can be daunting for a sailor, ask me about a ship, almost any ship, and I will be able to tell you its weapons platform, it self defense capability, it primary mission and so on. But the Army? Wow, that is a whole different world to a born, molded and “model” sailor.

I have so many questions to ask about the Army but I thought I would start off with a few basic questions:

What gear will I need whilst I am in Afghanistan that the Army / Navy will not issue? I know, I know the sailor in me agrees, everything I need the Navy has already issued to me. But really, there are items or gear that the civilian market does or makes a little bit better or that will just make my life a little bit easier.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find information about what I will be learning whilst I am in pre-deployment training. The list below are the topics the training “may include”:

PT
Army Values
Basic Rifle Marksmanship
Crew Serve Weapons
9MM Qualification
M-16 Qualification
IED
Urban Ops & Entry Control Point
Convoy Ops
NBC
Hot/Cold Weather Casualty
Forward Operating Base
Land Navigation
Communication
First aid
Quick / Reactive Fire
Rules Of Engagement
Rules Of Force
Law of Land
Personnel Recovery
SAEDA/OPSEC
UCMJ
Geneva Convention
Cultural Awareness
Grenades

A lot of these I can cover on my own but any insight or field and training manuals will be great.

when you get back from training, post it up ,,,, its going to be fun :43:

ercraw
08-12-2009, 10:37 AM
thank you all for the well wishes and information...I will certainly post information as avaialbe iaw opsec.

Cheers-

Sick Boy
08-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Nice man, that's awesome.

Did you volunteer for IA? Did you get advancement points or something for it?

What's you classification, should be 90xx?

Good luck over there.

Navyguy0023
08-20-2009, 2:59 PM
STG2-

This is STS1 here, recently returned from Iraq on IA. I am also my commands IA Coordinator, so I should be able to help.

First some basic questions:

1: Do you have your orders yet?

2: Do you know your Noble Eagle number? (IA job code)

3: Have you started on the mandatory NKO Courses yet?

Feel free to PM me and I will give out my email and phone number if you need it.

Lost
08-20-2009, 4:28 PM
Gear will be issued.

PT - fastest 2 miles you can run, most push ups and sit ups in 2 minutes for the test. Just get in the best shape of your life, because when **** hits the fan, you'll need to be in shape.
Army Values - As a sailor, you probably live them. Just have a thick skin around the Army guys.
Basic Rifle Marksmanship - fundamentals fundamentals fundamentals
Crew Serve Weapons - learn your corrective action drills like the back of your hand. They are pretty easy, so it shouldn't be too difficult.
9MM Qualification - point and click
M-16 Qualification - see BRM
IED - they will teach you some things. Realize you won't see all of them.
Urban Ops & Entry Control Point - you will get training. Each unit tends to have their own SOP.
Convoy Ops - keep your head on a swivel. don't get complacent. keep excellent maintanence on your weapons and vehicles.
NBC - doubt you'll need it.
Hot/Cold Weather Casualty - you should become CLS qualified, it's easy enough to learn. Your medics should almost always be around and willing to teach/refresh your memory
Forward Operating Base -
Land Navigation - know where you are going. Routes/terrain, know how to read a road map, topo map, use a compass and protractor.
Communication - learn effective radio communication. limit BS over the net. become comfortable on the radio. BFT, basics are easy to get down. learn how to type on the keyboard or with 2 fingers on the display.
First aid - see hot/cold cas
Quick / Reactive Fire - they'll teach you this
Rules Of Engagement - constantly changes, well at least in Iraq. They should give you ROE cards that outline what rules to follow. You are ALWAYS allowed to defend yourself.
Rules Of Force - See ROE
Law of Land - depends on what side you are on... your side is handcuffed
Personnel Recovery - There should be training on this with vehicles and dismounted
SAEDA/OPSEC - just don't say anything
UCMJ - is bad. Don't do anything stupid. remember the phrase "plausible deniability"
Geneva Convention - sucks when you abide by it and they don't. You may get a briefing or two on it.
Cultural Awareness - learn it. There are a few different groups out there. it may help you one day. If you respect their culture, you will gain their respect.
Grenades - pull pin and throw as far as you can (or to your target, then get down until a few seconds after the BOOM!

Fjold
08-20-2009, 4:36 PM
ercraw

First thing that you'll have to learn is to use smaller words, you'll be talking to the Army! :D

Go Navy!

MadRiverArms
08-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Seriously? Having just returned from Iraq I can tell you that some of the "issue" gear will be crap and you will buy your own stuff. What exactly really depends on your mission so I would wait until you know if you are doing admin, kicking in doors, ECP, convoys or whatever. I would also wait to see what the guys you replace are using so you can get what works right the first time instead of trial and error. Two things I will recommend is a good tactical switch blade or folder and a quality flashlight like a Surefire. you might get lucky and be issued a Gerber 06 (heavy but strong) or a Benchmade AFO I or II. If not look into what's out there and don't be afraid to spend $$ for a quality item that you will use everyday and it might even save your *****. Also don't be afraid to ask the supply pukes for what you want. It took almost the whole tour for us to get the Surefire helmet lights but hey they work great and better late than never. I'm still pissed about not getting issued a knife though. How can the Army send you into a combat zone and not give you a basic knife?

-G

Gear will be issued.

Lost
08-21-2009, 8:57 AM
Seriously?

-G

Yeah seriously. They will issue you a bunch of crap. Use it or not, it's up to you. It's also up to your chain of command if you are allowed to wear what you are comfortable with, whether it is the issued garbage or whether it is some cool guy chest rig. It's also up to the DoD if they are going to pay your family if you die and you aren't wearing approved/mandatory PPE.

Remember, it's all lawyers and politicians in this game. We are only the pawns.

MadRiverArms
08-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Yeah it's true you will be issued a lot of stuff. Some is crap and there is somethings you need but won't be issued. Take the Michelin man suit we got issued before deploying to Iraq. That thing was the biggest waste of space in a duffel bag that there was. I shipped it home before leaving Ft. McCoy. We were stationed at Speicher doing convoy security and between the silkies and the fleece I was never too cold even up in the turret.

As far as body armor goes you pretty much have to wear what you are issued and that isn't the gear I was talking about replacing. I was referring to the molle mag pouches that come in the Rifleman's kit. Sure you can use them but they are crap and there is a lot better stuff out there that shouldn't be an issue for your command. Yeah every command is different and YMMV.

-G

MajorAR
08-25-2009, 9:02 AM
If you are going to Bagram...you won't need any high speed gear. That place is cheezy...and has ALL the comforts of home. It's an Air Force Base....so you won't be WANTING anything. Bring good PT gear and thats about it.

I just returned from there...I know the deal.

Maj

zukieast
08-25-2009, 11:16 AM
I am at Bagram now. It is like a big Aircraft carrier, just not as compact.

Bring whatever you would bring with you to go underway for 6 months except for the year.

If you are coming in the winter then prepare for cold weather.
Most of the barns we live in are full so you will probably spend your first few weeks in a GP tent on a cot. Then maybe get upgraded to a fixed structure.

Most Navy IA's are filling admin, logistic, supply positions out here. So they arent working too hard. Whatever your MOS is in the Navy you "may" be doing something similar out here.

We get rocket attacks maybe once a week, but they cant seem to hit the place, and overshoot it all the time. They do get lucky once in a while. Most of the time you dont even know that you are in a War zone.

Unless you go outside the wire, as the Major said you wont need any high speed combat gear. Most of the heavy fighting is on the border and down south. And that is patchy at best. Dont just watch the news media, it will scare the crap out of you. This place is nothing like Iraq.

Most deaths here occur from IED's. The Taliban conduct limited engagements against US forces. All other are screwed because they are not as well armed and trained and are easier targets than US forces. So pray you dont get stuck with a foreign force out in the field.

All the engagements that are happening now are directly related to the fact that we have finally decided to burn the drug crops, which is cutting into the Talibans Bottom line. Just like the Drug wars south of the US boarder. Mess with their money and they get angry...

Dealing with the Army is almost as bad as dealing with the Navy. Just different rules.

JerryM
08-25-2009, 3:14 PM
You won't need much man.

Just make sure you don't spend to much money at the PX. Green Beans will be your daily pit stop for caffeine (^_^).

You will also be the proud recepient of full body massages by big Russian ladies or tiny Kirgi girls (if you so choose).

Laundry is pretty timely so you won't need a lot of extra kit, and you can buy more skivvies if you need them.

Don't take any weapon parts unless you are willing to part from them. That includes lights, mags, Magpul stuff, etc.

You can buy your in-country cell phone, and privately owned Internet access is super slow.

I just pray you don't get assigned to the Bagram Detention Facility.

MadRiverArms
08-26-2009, 1:15 PM
Huh, things must be way different going there compared to Iraq. A lot of our guys carried their own Magpul magazines over there and back with no issue whatsoever. In fact the only bags that were subject to inspection were the ones we sent over on the slow boat in the Company conex. That being said on the way back some of the Navy customs people were taking switchblades from Joes unless they had a receipt that it was issued but magazines were still not an issue. Fortunately I got lucky and didn't lose anything.

Good point about the PX and Green Beans. As for the laundry is KBR running that at Bagram? We had good turn around time but the clothes would come back with stains still in them so we started putting detergent in the pockets and that seemed to help. I still prefer self serve as I can do a better job than KBR.

-G

JerryM
08-26-2009, 3:24 PM
Yeah. There was a very restrictive memo that was being followed at Bagram circa mid 2008. Hopefully it's not being enforced anymore, but we lost a lot of stuff. They sell the auto blades, but you could not bring back :(.

Yes. KBR had the contract and it was ok. You ended up with somebody elses socks, but that was the worse.

I kind of miss that dump.

ercraw
08-28-2009, 8:09 AM
Thank you all for the input and advice.

The detention facility at Bagram is my final destination...the assignment whence there has escaped me as the orders are a bit flowery at best.

If Bagram is as laid back as mentioned, how does one get assigned to a FOB? I didn't vollunteer to sit on my ***. My preference is to follow some taliban terrorist down a cave and send him to the detention facility rather than babysit him whence he is already there.

ercraw

First thing that you'll have to learn is to use smaller words, you'll be talking to the Army! :D

Go Navy!

Smaller words aye!

desertram800
09-14-2009, 7:44 AM
I'm a GSA sailor in Afghanistan, about an hour flight from BAF. BAF sucks, and if you're in the detention facility don't bother spending your loot on any high speed gear, as you're most likely going to be wearing your IOTV stripped with nothing on it. I'm extremely lucky, as me and one other Navy guy got integrated with the Army SECFOR (security forces). I'm primarily a gunner in an MRAP, and we get hit nearly every time we go out, and we go out a lot. My toys up in the turret with me are a MK-19, an M240B, and my M249, and my M9. We lucked out with gear, we have frags, AT4s, Claymores and some other goodies we play with. All the other Navy guys are pretty much Fobbits. Same goes for most of the other Navy guys I meet when we stop in at different FOBs around the province. My last IA I got stuck doing detainee ops in Iraq, and I vowed NEVER to do it again! hahah! As far as bringing gear back, I had a very bad experience with the dang reservist bubbleheads they had running customs when I de-mobed in Kuwait. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a great time when I go through there again. It's a shame when you have to spend your own dime for propper gear, and then they try to take it from you when you go home. :mad:

One more note, at BAF, try to stay clear of the Burger King and stuff, most people I know who were at BAF came back at least a few more pounds heavier than when they got there!