PDA

View Full Version : P226 Combat purchased in California

RJiggity
08-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Newbie post here...

I am new to Handguns...just got my permit on Friday.
My location: San Francisco, CA
1'st gun purchased (yesterday): Sig 226 Combat
Purchased from a local reputable dealer

Question...
I just check the DOJ handgun roster and the 226 Combat is not listed. I've seen a few online sites selling the 226 Combat, but most (if not all) say something to the effect of "NO Sales in California".

I do see on the DOJ website that the Manufacturer must renew the list before the expiration date or the handgun will be removed from the list.

So....just wondering how it is I have purchased this gun in CA though it is not on the DOJ roster. Admittingly I have not yet picked the gun up yet, so I don't know if there is a process that checks for this.

Thoughts?

eldy
08-11-2009, 11:28 AM
What caliber is it? Maybe you purchased a P220 Combat instead.

Or the dealer might pass it off as a two-tone P226.

thmpr
08-11-2009, 11:48 AM
1st post to ask this type of question? Please deal with the vendor rather than the posting this type of concerns on a public forum.

Cpl_Peters
08-11-2009, 12:50 PM
your fine, burden is on them, not you...if you are concerned then dont pick it up and get a refund. Also are you LEO? This may explain why they would sell it to you if its not on the roster...LEO's are exempt

CHS
08-11-2009, 1:24 PM
Please tell me it's not the P226 combat w/threaded barrel.

If it is, DO NOT TAKE POSSESSION OF THAT FIREARM. It is an illegal assault weapon in California.

ldivinag
08-11-2009, 1:30 PM
Newbie post here...

what permit?

Ross
08-11-2009, 1:34 PM
Newbie post here...

My location: San Francisco, CA
1'st gun purchased (yesterday): Sig 226 Combat
Purchased from a local reputable dealer

Thoughts?

what permit?

+2 on that - what permit?

stix213
08-11-2009, 1:36 PM
what permit?

I'm sure he means the California Handgun Safety Certificate, and thought that was pretty obvious what he meant.

RJiggity
08-11-2009, 2:17 PM
thmpr - Thanks for the feedback, I was just trying to get some info before going to the vendor.

Nope...I'm not a LEO, so no exemptions and not TB model. I hear ya that the burden is on the vendor, not me, but don't want to deal w/ any problems down stream should I encounter any.

I went down to the store, I talked to some guy and he pretty much just said that the DOJ site is not always up to date, and they've sold hundreds of them like that and that Sig wouldn't have shipped them the model if it weren't legal....blah blah blah...

End result:
I'm sure that there is just a mistake somewhere, but just wanted to clarify that the model I thought I had purchased is the model I'm picking up in 9 days. I'll give Sig a call tomorrow and verify the unit against the Serial Number.

Not really sure what the major differences between the p226 and the p226 combat aside from frame color and front slide serrations. I just liked this particular one b/c the shop had swapped out the grip w/ an aluminum grip and it felt SWEET.

So...end of the day...I'm pretty happy. I like the feel, I like the looks, as long as I am getting a P226 9mm (go ahead all you 9mm haters...let the flogging begin) w/ the feel and finish I like, I'm a happy camper.

RJiggity
08-11-2009, 2:20 PM
yeah...Safety Cert...the little piece of paper that says I can buy a handgun.

thmpr
08-11-2009, 3:06 PM
That is thee best P226 for the money to get at this time due to the features it has..... Just my opinion!

leelaw
08-11-2009, 3:17 PM
The P226 Combat differs from the P226 in that it has...

Coated internals for rust prevention and increased wear protection
True picatinny rails
Different external finish
Front slide serrations

You should talk to the dealer. They're risking their license by DROSing a non-roster firearm to a person without roster exemptions.

Ducman
08-11-2009, 3:50 PM
unless they sold it as used and did a PPT, he should be good to go...no???

leelaw
08-11-2009, 4:17 PM
unless they sold it as used and did a PPT, he should be good to go...no???

Unless it was a PPT, consignment return (to owner), intrafamilial transfer, or other roster-exempt transfer, it's not legal for the FFL to DROS a non-roster handgun to a non-roster-exempt person.

Shane916
08-11-2009, 6:27 PM
Unless it was a PPT, consignment return (to owner), intrafamilial transfer, or other roster-exempt transfer, it's not legal for the FFL to DROS a non-roster handgun to a non-roster-exempt person.

Maybe it's a single-shot 226 Combat! Duhh! ;):p

CHS
08-11-2009, 6:38 PM
Maybe it's a single-shot 226 Combat! Duhh! ;):p

If it were, it still wouldn't meet the dimensional requirements to be roster-exempt.

ldivinag
08-11-2009, 7:24 PM
yeah...Safety Cert...the little piece of paper that says I can buy a handgun.

oh... you mean that scam that the state uses to generate more money...

sigh...

akspetsnaz
08-11-2009, 10:02 PM
P226 Combat is super nice and I want one also!

However, this little thing is not on the CA DOJ roster and is not CA Compliant as listed from the Sig site (specification):

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=243

So you need to check with your dealer!

Shane916
08-12-2009, 10:49 AM
If it were, it still wouldn't meet the dimensional requirements to be roster-exempt.

Haha..sarcasm my friend. ;)

cineski
08-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Why? :confused:

1st post to ask this type of question? Please deal with the vendor rather than the posting this type of concerns on a public forum.

fuegoslow
08-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Why? :confused:
Yeah, what's wrong with asking? Calguns has given me a wealth of knowledge. This is the exact place this question should be asked.

thmpr
08-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Yeah, what's wrong with asking? Calguns has given me a wealth of knowledge. This is the exact place this question should be asked.

The OP has made the necessary modifications to his original post......

WeekendWarrior
08-13-2009, 11:57 AM
what permit?

Handgun Safety Certificate?

gat
08-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Yeah, what a bummer. You got my hopes up and everything...

Eljay
08-13-2009, 7:52 PM
There are definitely some dealers that are a bit loosey goosy about the exact model they are DROSing. I experienced that myself - interestingly enough the dealer eventually lost their FFL (not because of that specifically so much as a general sloppy attitude about paperwork).

subiefoo
08-13-2009, 8:15 PM
I don't know what to say. I'm a noob too and I recently purchased a sig 229 equinox (picked it up about 3 weeks ago) from a well known shooting range/gun store. The sig website says it's not CA compliant either.

TacticalChihuahua
01-22-2010, 5:22 PM
P229R Equinox / Stainless Steel, Alloy Pistol 3.9" .40 S&W 12/19/2010

That's directly from the doj roster. But it's only available in .40....... This stuff is all so ridiculous. But I am interested in getting the P220 Combat which is on the list :yes: