PDA

View Full Version : SHARPSHOOTER (Torrance)

HowardW56
08-11-2009, 7:16 AM
I stopped in there on Sunday and the range was shut down. They are finally doing it, a massive equipment upgrade. The old traps are all gone, new traps are being installed, they hope to be open again in a week or so....

The store is open during the renovations...

SCMA-1
08-11-2009, 7:23 AM
Thanks for the notification. They really need to get a website for general info.

SCMA-1

HowardW56
08-11-2009, 7:28 AM
Thanks for the notification. They really need to get a website for general info.

SCMA-1

I agree.... They had some signs up for special pricing on Glocks...

cineski
08-11-2009, 7:30 AM
Yeah, something about a new backstop? What else is being changed?

HowardW56
08-11-2009, 7:33 AM
Yeah, something about a new backstop? What else is being changed?

I don't know, anyone else have any info?

SCMA-1
08-11-2009, 7:55 AM
I shot there on Thursday last week; didn't see any indication they were going to be down for updates.

1911su16b870
08-11-2009, 8:07 AM
Stopped by to check it out. Everything in the trap is being exchanged, old torn out and new trap installed. Should be getting new carriers, going away from the two post style. It is allways a good thing when business owners upgrade their facilities for their clients.

HowardW56
08-11-2009, 8:25 AM
I shot there on Thursday last week; didn't see any indication they were going to be down for updates.

When I was there Sunday all of the bullet traps were disassembled in the parking lot, the crew was moving new materials into the range...

Butter
08-11-2009, 8:28 AM
I'm a member there and talked awhile back with some of the folks behind the counter and they told me what they were going to do....and how expensive this was going to be. Dang!

I hope the membership fees and all the other range costs don't go up because of that. I'm there once a week, and used to go 2-3 times a week when ammo...and time were more readily available.

vinny_land
08-11-2009, 8:28 AM
Thats good to hear. I went there a few months ago but only shotgun because Im not 21 yet (soon though in December)

Greg-Dawg
08-11-2009, 9:14 AM
They're going out of business?

HowardW56
08-11-2009, 9:19 AM
They're going out of business?

Where did that come from?

We were all talking about how much money they are spending upgrading the facility.... New range equipment...

It's an UPGRADE....

Maplewood
08-11-2009, 9:35 AM
I work right next door to Sharpshooter and thats were I shoot my handguns, but in the last 6 months I have been hit by ricochets 3 times, small pieces of lead & copper. Maybe thats the norm for indoor shooting ranges but you could easily lose an eye with that stuff flying around, hits hard enough to break the skin

pwall
08-11-2009, 9:38 AM
anyone know if sharpshooters is oll friendly? Say a bb'd 9mm AR?

armygunsmith
08-11-2009, 9:43 AM
Nice to see them spending some money on upgrades. Based on my experience, they are OLL friendly. I shoot a dedicated .22 LR AR there without issues. Just make sure to give them a heads up.

savasyn
08-11-2009, 10:26 AM

They tend to have a "If it's legal, it's fine" attitude. I've never shot an OLL there, but I made sure to clear it with Fred before I brought my reg'd 9mm AR down there.

Glad to hear they are upgrading their range, it's been in pretty poor repair as of late. Lot's of lanes down due to broken cables and such.

Now they just need to get some ammo in stock, last time I was there, they had non of the common calibers available.

munkeeboi
08-11-2009, 11:09 AM

I've shot a raddlocked USC there before...just make sure to check with them anyways...always better to be polite and let them know what you have rather than letting them guess and giving you a hard time.

sugi942
08-11-2009, 2:09 PM
Fred is still there? He must be at least 100 years old now. :p I was a member there in the late 80's. Guess I'll be going back to check it out now.

vinny_land
08-11-2009, 4:09 PM
I've shot a raddlocked USC there before...just make sure to check with them anyways...always better to be polite and let them know what you have rather than letting them guess and giving you a hard time.

Really? Normally OLL stuff or anything with a pistol grip is frowned upon there. They kinda gave me a hard to when they saw my black 982 shotgun and quickly asked if it had a pistol grip (even the Speedfeed III style).

subin
08-11-2009, 4:11 PM
I work right next door to Sharpshooter and thats were I shoot my handguns, but in the last 6 months I have been hit by ricochets 3 times, small pieces of lead & copper. Maybe thats the norm for indoor shooting ranges but you could easily lose an eye with that stuff flying around, hits hard enough to break the skin

I worked a block away from the Sharpshooter and I was getting ricochets for the last two visits (have not experienced this before). One actually hit my forehead and broke the skin. Well go back in a week or two.

Their Sunday crew is the best!

HowardW56
08-11-2009, 4:23 PM

The risk of ricochet is a safety concern. Thats why every indoor range I've been to insist on eye and ear protection.... SAFETY...

HowardW56
08-11-2009, 4:24 PM
Nice to see them spending some money on upgrades. Based on my experience, they are OLL friendly. I shoot a dedicated .22 LR AR there without issues. Just make sure to give them a heads up.

When I was there the other day they had a .22 cal AR and a carbon 15 in the rack....

indetrucks
08-11-2009, 4:39 PM

I shot my HK USC .45 there a few months back.
Got a few mags out before the range guy swang by.
He just casually peeked over at me and asked what rounds it was firing.

I said .45's

He said "cool" and kept moving.
I have the Rad Lock on it but he didn't seem to care about anything other than the rounds I was shooting off.

No Rifles rounds except .22's are allowed there I believe

Ducman
08-11-2009, 5:39 PM
LOL, Back in 98' i just purchased my new Bushmaster xm15 and brought it there to shoot the first time, They were OK at first and asked what caliber was it and said .223 i was dissapointed nevertheless and just shot my handguns.

subin
08-12-2009, 1:57 PM
I am pretty sure that they allow shooting rifles with pistol caliber, like, .22, .38, 9mm, and .45. unless they change the rule recently.

SCMA-1
08-19-2009, 6:37 AM
Anyone know if the range is operational yet?

SCMA-1

BTW, they DO have a website but is doesn't fare well with most of the search engines:

http://www.wix.com/capo689/sharpshooter

1911su16b870
08-19-2009, 9:35 AM
Yes Sharpshooters is up and running, totally remodeled and sexy! :D

1911su16b870
08-19-2009, 9:36 AM
I am pretty sure that they allow shooting rifles with pistol caliber, like, .22, .38, 9mm, and .45. unless they change the rule recently.

Correct, pistol caliber long guns only, and shotguns...no rifle cartridges allowed.

throwdown808
08-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

tackdrivr
08-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Friends,

The range area has been completely redone. We have installed a state of the art bullet trap. The trap is manufactured by Super Trap. It is a rubber gran trap which greatly reduces noise, airborne lead, and eliminates any chance of fragmentation.

The lanes have been redone, electrical systems repaired, and new target holders have been installed. The place looks like new. It has been a long time coming.

I'm working on developing a rifle capable shooting area and yes OLLs will be welcomed once the construction is completed. At present we allow handgun caliber rifles and carbines including OLLs. M1 carbines are also good to go.

Shotguns are fine as long as the can be fired from the shoulder. Sadly we have had some issues with pistol grip only gauges in the past.

HTH

Good Shooting!

dchang0
08-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I was gonna say--the ricochets were probably the reason for the upgrade!

pottymouth310
08-22-2009, 2:12 PM
or that it was almost impossible to find a lane that had both pegs on there target holder.... or that worked...

1911su16b870
08-22-2009, 2:36 PM
The target carriers that they have in service now are really brilliant, simple, easy to use, quickly repairable, and just an "Oh, Wow, that's smart" type setup.

Acethomas
08-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Any updates to the rentals available, I haven't been there in a while, but last time I was around the selection wasn't quite as much as I'd hope.

HowardW56
08-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Go by and take a look... I doubt most people would have the rental inventory committed to memory

CaliRN
08-29-2009, 7:33 PM
Spoke to Fred the other day, the new rubber trap compound should reduce
the riccochets and keep the shrapnel off the shooters. Hear a lane or two
will be dedicated rifle lines, with increased $$ and a time limit, but it will be
nice to have a place to get a scope on paper before going to Angeles.
Support the range, it is a rarity in the area!

CaliRN

1911su16b870
08-30-2009, 8:54 AM
...Support the range, it is a rarity in the area!

CaliRN

A big +1...Support you range or loose your range...growing up in LA's south bay, I have personally witnessed range after range limit operations and close.