PDA

View Full Version : I need information on the Colt Officers 1911, I just got one

Vsanzbajo
08-10-2009, 1:27 PM
I am looking for opinions and info on the Colt Officers 1911. It is a Series 80 MKIV Stainless Steel. I know that it has a Videki trigger; and nice trigger job plus reliability package from Tussey Customs. That is all I know. Made on 1994. I just got one from one of the members. I cannot find too much online.
I would appreciate opinions on reliability, and anything else you guys think
I should know.
Thanks in advance

Sky_DiveR
08-10-2009, 2:03 PM
How bout alittle more info. Blue or Stainless steel? Series 70, 80, 90? :shrug:

Colts are very good guns that usually hold their value very well. Some think the triggers on the series 80 sucks compared to the earlier series cuz of the firing pin safety. Nothing a competent smith can't fix. I only had a series 70 so I can't really tell you... from what I've handled tho, the triggers felt OK but heavy. They all ate just about anything we could throw at em.

Great gun. Enjoy your new toy... now go shoot it! :thumbsup:

Vsanzbajo
08-10-2009, 2:07 PM
Series 80 MKIV.

Mac Attack
08-10-2009, 4:14 PM
If it had a reliability package by Tussey then I should hope it is reliable. Likewise, if it had a trigger job I would think it is good to go.

All Colt Officers I believe were made with the Series 80 firing pin safety. Anyways, Colt Officers are great little guns that shoot well and are a great option for a carry gun. Since yours has already been customized you ahead of the curve and the only thing I would be concerned is proof that Tussey did the work and not some Joe Smoe garage gunsmith.

Some people have had problems with short barreled 1911's and the supposed design not made for a sub 5 inch barrel. Well there are plenty of 3 inchers out there like the Colt New Agent that work just fine.

Shoot your Pony and then make any decisions on it after you put a few hundred through it.

Vsanzbajo
08-10-2009, 6:02 PM
Yes I got the receipt to prove the work was done by Tussey.
Thanks

Greg-Dawg
08-10-2009, 6:03 PM
I'd rather have a Series 70.

aplinker
08-10-2009, 7:07 PM
Sounds like you got a nice little 1911. Shoot it and enjoy it. No matter what its pedigree, nothing can replace personal experience - and you should be sure to generate plenty before coming to conclusions.

Terry Tussey is widely regarded as an excellent smith. The work I've seen of his is consistent with that reputation.

I'm shocked you didn't post Greg-Dawg useless post #1: anything about a Glock.

Vsanzbajo
08-11-2009, 9:28 AM
Anythig else?

ghost
08-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Anythig else?

what else do you want to know?did you even shoot it yet?

Vsanzbajo
08-11-2009, 12:42 PM
I went yesterday. I really liked it, I just cannot find much info or specs online.

1923mack
08-11-2009, 4:07 PM
Officers model was produced for many years and is a great little pistol. Out of the box it will last a long time and bee lots of fun. With a new trigger and "smoothing" should be that much better. Will shoot more rounds of 45 acp then you can get or afford. Put it in your will for one of your children. Shoot it and enjoy it.

randy
08-12-2009, 1:27 AM

So would everybody else but I don't think they made them before the 80's.

johnthomas
08-12-2009, 1:39 AM
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=15201
Here is a link to 1911 forum, It will tell you a whole lot about your weapon.

Sky_DiveR
08-12-2009, 1:44 AM
So would everybody else but I don't think they made them before the 80's.

Officers were only made after the 80's? I didn't know that. I've usually only dealt with Colt Govt. models. Everything else have been AMT's Detonics, Springfields, etc. They made Combat Commander's in the 70's tho, right? I recall thinking about buying a series 70 Colt Commander lite, way back when. Dunno, could be just selective memory.

Did you read his post? Colt Officers 1911. It is a Series 80 MKIV Stainless

Yes I did johnthomas. He did not have that info, among others, in his post originally! He added it after I asked for more info! Look at the time stamp for my post and the OP's time stamp for his edit. AND like I just said above, I didn't know they didn't make Officers before 1980! You know what they say about assumptions!

movie zombie
08-12-2009, 10:42 AM
i bought mine [blue] series 80 last winter from a calgunner. i'm loving it. i found it hard to get info online also. a friend of mine is convinced that something he read says it is hard to find replacement parts for it and that it can "explode" unless some of the innards are replaced. he has ordered said innards and will be dropping them in at some point soon. no modification to the gun required.....and will include replacing the double spring mechanism with a single spring which i think will make taking it apart and putting it back together much easier.

thus far i love this pistol. i don't think it will "explode" but i have had it confirmed by another gunny source that some modification as suggested by my paranoid friend will make it a better pistol.

mz

den888
08-12-2009, 11:08 AM
I also have a Colt Enhanced Officer's Model in SS, produced in 1994. It serves primarily as my HD gun. Mine is reliable and easy to shoot. My only complaint is that it shoots a little low to the point of aim.

Officer's ACP's were produced starting in 1984-85, if my memory serves me correctly.

There have been some complaints that with heavy use, that the recoil spring plug can shear off when fired, rendering the gun inoperable. I'm not sure if this is exaggerated or not, but if you search some of the 1911 forums, you can find information on a modification which will address this potential fault.

Here's mine -

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/ccm123/Officers_Model/DSC00962.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/ccm123/Officers_Model/DSC00960.jpg

Enjoy your Colt, it's a great gun and will serve you well.

Vsanzbajo
08-12-2009, 11:39 AM
What do you mean by inards? What are those?
And I am having problems taking it apart for cleaning. Any one in the Bay Area would be interested on helping and showing me how to do it?
Thanks

johnthomas
08-12-2009, 11:44 AM
And I am having problems taking it apart for cleaning. Any one in the Bay Area would be interested on helping and showing me how to do it?
Thanks

Man, you must be from California, lol. Inards are inside parts.
http://surplusrifle.com/pistol1911/index.asp

Vsanzbajo
08-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I am actually from Spain, but live in California. English is my 2nd language.

johnthomas
08-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I am actually from Spain, but live in California. English is my 2nd language.

The site I sent you has plenty of pictures, lol. By your questions, you will be fine. Your English is better than my Spanish. I was in Spain once, one of the people in my group was Mexican. He told me to stick with him because he speaks Spanish. The first guy he spoke Spanish to asked him to speak English because he couldn't understand what he was saying, lol.

den888
08-12-2009, 7:54 PM
Officers Model Disassembly and Assembly is different from a 1911 (from the Colt manual) -

With a Officer's ACP, you need to -

1/ Ensure gun is unloaded

2/ Depress the recoil spring plug, then manually turn the barrel bushing COUNTERCLOCKWISE and pull it out.

3/ Then take a flat head screwdriver and insert it into the slot of the recoil spring plug, press in and turn left or right about 1/2 a turn. (There is a locking notch in which the recoil spring plug lug fits into the slide. You can see it by turning the gun upside down and looking for a 1/32 inch notch.) Once the recoil spring plug has been turned, it will be under extreme pressure from the dual recoil springs. Slowly control the plug from the receiver and pull the recoil spring plug out from the slide. (Wear eye protection, just in case.)

4/ Remove recoil springs, then proceed with dis-assembly of the pistol as you would a standard size 1911.

5/ The trick is the reassembly. Reassemble as with a standard 1911, except when reinserting the recoil spring plug, you need to make certain that the recoil spring lug is inserted into the locking notch that I mentioned. Then, re-insert the barrel bushing. In my owners manual, Colt requests that you check to make certain that the recoil spring plug must be flush with or sticking out only slightly beyond face of the barrel bushing after assembly. After reassembling, Colt suggests exercising the slide by pulling it back and letting it slam on an empty chamber. Colt also suggests that you carefully examine the breach face to make certain that the firing pin is not sticking out. If it is, it could cause your pistol to discharge when a round is chambered.

movie zombie
08-12-2009, 8:19 PM
Thanks

i had problems too! and the booklet that came with it wasn't that helpful.

however, i can do it now. where do you live?

also, see this:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/colt_mkiv_series_80_&_90_pistols.pdf

that i finally found online. its better but still not totally helpful.

the taking apart is actually easy...its the putting it together again......

mz

ps i admit i haven't finished reading this thread at this point as i just got home and when i got to your response i decided to just respond. somoneone may already have provided you with the needed info.

movie zombie
08-12-2009, 8:24 PM
where in spain, Vsanzbajo?

mz

eta: when you put it back together, the lug must be perpenticular to the pistol in order to line up properly and not get jammed.....which is where i went wrong initially.

Vsanzbajo
08-12-2009, 9:46 PM
I am from Sevilla, and I am in crazy Berkeley. Anyone close willing to meet and help.
Thanks

movie zombie
08-12-2009, 10:51 PM
had a spanish class at cabrillo in aptos near santa cruz and another student in the class spent a year in sevilla and she loved it!

there is a safety issue re taking your colt apart: take great care when removing the plug as it can have a lot of power when it comes out...enough to put your eye out. i haven't had a problem with that but i take great care. i'll send you a private e-mail. i think it can be done via the phone....do you skype?

mz

ps a short stubby screwdriver is helpful with the plug and i've found on line the following to help with the bushing:

http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=J&Category_Code=O

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=391/Product/CAN_T_MAR_trade__1911_AUTO_BUSHING_WRENCH

i haven't ordered either as i'm able to get the bushing out w/o it. however, i may order it just to make it easier to remove. will send pm [private e-mail]. confession: i had to go to a gunshop to get help...........and then i spent several hours at home just taking it apart and putting it back together again.

Vsanzbajo
08-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Yes I Skype

movie zombie
08-12-2009, 11:02 PM
private message sent.

mz

randy
08-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Officers were only made after the 80's? I didn't know that. I've usually only dealt with Colt Govt. models. Everything else have been AMT's Detonics, Springfields, etc. They made Combat Commander's in the 70's tho, right? I recall thinking about buying a series 70 Colt Commander lite, way back when. Dunno, could be just selective memory.

Yes I did johnthomas. He did not have that info, among others, in his post originally! He added it after I asked for more info! Look at the time stamp for my post and the OP's time stamp for his edit. AND like I just said above, I didn't know they didn't make Officers before 1980! You know what they say about assumptions!

I don't think you are going to find a Commander that says 70 series on it either. They just were Combat Comanders until the 80 series came out.