PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on 1911 cocking serrations

bin31z
08-09-2009, 9:07 PM
I don't like the way that some novak type sights for 1911's will have cocking serrations cut into it. I personally don't like the way they look and I doubt they have any real function since I'm not going to be pulling on the freaking rear sight to cock the slide. I think its one of those modifications that is more form over function. While I'm on the topic, I also don't like the modern wide slanted cocking serrations. I much prefer the old school narrow non-slanted type cocking serrations on old GI guns, even slanted narrow serrations are ok by me. The super wide modern serrations on most current 1911's don't really give the hand good purchase on the slide. The old GI style is much more aesthetically pleasing, I wish more makers would incorporate them into their guns.

tiko
08-09-2009, 9:32 PM
They claim that the serrations on the sights to prevent the reflextion of lights, just like serrations on top of slides of some Kimbers.

sholling
08-09-2009, 9:34 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and hopefully you will never have to work your slide one handed.

cmace22
08-09-2009, 9:47 PM
Im not familiar with any sights that have cocking serrations. The only serrations Im aware of are the one that tiko commented on above.

AFAIK they are to cut light reflection and give you a better sight picture. And are located at the rear of the sight and not on the sides.

bin31z
08-09-2009, 9:52 PM
I'm not talking about the ones at the rear of the sight, that makes a little sense to stop light from reflection. I'm talking about serrations on the side of sights. The dan wesson cbob has them and any Les Baer with fixed sights will usually have them.

bin31z
08-09-2009, 9:53 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and hopefully you will never have to work your slide one handed.

How would side serrations help you cycle the slide? I assume you are talking about a ledge on the rear sight that allows it to hook into a belt or something.

sholling
08-09-2009, 9:53 PM
Maybe he's talking about this style. The square face is there to hook on a belt or holster to work the slide should your weak arm be incapacitated.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/kimber3.gif
Photo courtesy Tactical-Life

cmace22
08-09-2009, 9:58 PM
Maybe he's talking about this style. The square face is there to hook on a belt or holster to work the slide should your weak arm be incapacitated.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/kimber3.gif
Photo courtesy Tactical-Life

I think this post clears that up. I have never seen serrations on a rear sight.

Google didnt work for it either.

I'm not talking about the ones at the rear of the sight, that makes a little sense to stop light from reflection. I'm talking about serrations on the side of sights. The dan wesson cbob has them and any Les Baer with fixed sights will usually have them.

Do you have a link for what you are discribing?

bin31z
08-09-2009, 10:00 PM
You can see them clearly here:

http://www.americancopmagazine.com/articles/lesbaer/HP4.jpg

bin31z
08-09-2009, 10:01 PM
that's on the Les Baer custom carry, the very pistol I might be acquiring. I'm already making plans to switch the sights out for some Heinie slant pro straight 8 units. It just seems to have to switch out night sights for other night sights. I would be perfectly fine with those Novak type sights if not for those cuts.

cmace22
08-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Ahhh, I see what your talking about. It seems a little pointless.

bin31z
08-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I really hate the way they look. Totally messes up the lines of an otherwise classic looking pistol. I despise how people are trying to cut serrations and to checker 1911's in EVERY possible place. They all have some kind of tiny usefulness. I just saw a post the other day about a guy, he wanted to spend 700-900 bucks on a bunch of serrations. I like front strap serrations, very useful. Otherwise, slide stop bottom checkering, front of trigger guard checkering, bottom of trigger guard checkering, top of the slide serrations, back of the slide serrations, checkering ejector and extractor to match back of the slide checkering are all marginal upgrades that end up costing a fortune. You can buy another gun for the money spent on just checkering. HA

Juicymeat
08-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Why would you need to switch them besides the fact that you don't think they look pretty enough for you? FWIW those serrations on the rear sight helped me get the upper palm of my thumb more secure when I racked my slide back.

cmace22
08-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Why would you need to switch them besides the fact that you don't think they look pretty enough for you? FWIW those serrations on the rear sight helped me get the upper palm of my thumb more secure when I racked my slide back.

If it works for you then thats great. He obviously doesnt like em.

trashman
08-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I do agree with you -- although I also prefer not to have forward-cocking serrations also :)

--Neill

bin31z
08-09-2009, 10:19 PM

I like my 1911's to look like retro builds, that's just my thing.

bin31z
08-09-2009, 10:21 PM
I do agree with you -- although I also prefer not to have forward-cocking serrations also :)

--Neill

Yea, I know what you mean about the forward serrations. For purely GI style retro gun, I would never have front serrations. However, for a custom series 70 style, I actually think they add to the whole "custom" look. Most customs of that period do have the serrations. I wouldn't mind some Hi-Power cuts instead of serrations though....

chickenfried
08-10-2009, 12:07 AM
That's almost as silly as replacing a perfectly functioning new part just cause you don't like it's aesthetics :p.

I just saw a post the other day about a guy, he wanted to spend 700-900 bucks on a bunch of serrations. I like front strap serrations, very useful. Otherwise, slide stop bottom checkering, front of trigger guard checkering, bottom of trigger guard checkering, top of the slide serrations, back of the slide serrations, checkering ejector and extractor to match back of the slide checkering are all marginal upgrades that end up costing a fortune. You can buy another gun for the money spent on just checkering. HA

bin31z
08-10-2009, 12:18 AM
That's almost as silly as replacing a perfectly functioning new part just cause you don't like it's aesthetics :p.

haha... you are right. maybe i'll just leave it then until it wears out....:)

kegs
08-10-2009, 6:30 AM
While I'm on the topic, I also don't like the modern wide slanted cocking serrations. I much prefer the old school narrow non-slanted type cocking serrations on old GI guns, even slanted narrow serrations are ok by me. The super wide modern serrations on most current 1911's don't really give the hand good purchase on the slide. The old GI style is much more aesthetically pleasing, I wish more makers would incorporate them into their guns.

I wonder if it has to do with the modern "tactical" nature of wearing gloves in combat? Of all the WWII footage outside of the snow, everyone is bare handed - but you see a lot of forces nowadays always wearing gloves. Perhaps they work better with the broad serrations? Just my off-the-wall thought du jour ;)

trapshot68
08-10-2009, 7:01 AM
I'd rather deal with the sight cocking then those horrible "SIS" cuts on the frame of those kimbers. Talk about gimicky....