PDA

View Full Version : Voluntary registration of firearms

LongBch_SigP226
05-18-2005, 9:30 PM
Recently I purchased a firearm from out of state. I wonder if I should voluntary register this handgun with CA DoJ.
Can you think of benefits for doing this? Also, can you think of downside to doing this?

This is the first "used" gun I ever purchased. It was my first time buying gun from out of State. Don't get me wrong, this is a CA DoJ approved handgun and seller was extremely pleasant to work with. But my concern is, if this handgun was ever used in a crime or is a stolen weapon, I would like to have a some kind of record indicating the date I acquired this gun and act as proof of ownership. Therefore, I'm thinking about paying $19 and registering it with CA DoJ. By doing this I hope CA DoJ will run the serial number with national, state, and local database to see if it is a stolen weapon. What do you think? Should I register my non-AW guns too since I'm going to register this handgun? (My AR15 is already registered.)

Maybe I'm a little paranoid but would like to hear your opinion on this specially if you have bought used guns online.

Here is the link to CA DoJ form.
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf

Inoxmark
05-18-2005, 9:42 PM
I voted "don't know what to tell you". Sounds like you and your seller broke the fed law.

Pthfndr
05-18-2005, 9:48 PM
I voted other also. If you bought this without going through a CA FFL then you violated CA and Fed law both.

Trader Jack
05-18-2005, 10:06 PM
If in fact you did purchase from an out of state party and did not go though a California FFL, then you should change your screen name from "Ding Chavez" to "Ding Bat" 1st, you are a dumb *** for doing it and 2nd you are an even dumber *** for saying so on a public board.

Inoxmark
05-18-2005, 10:22 PM
I bet this was a joke. He knows better.

LongBch_SigP226
05-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Ummmmm...where are you NoCal guys getting idea that I didn't go through FFL. Maybe I was not clear on my post but gun was purchased from famous Gun Auction site. I did go through FFLs (both CA and out of state), DROS background was performed, and I'm going through 10 day waiting period. Please stay with the topic. Topic was not about whether I went through FFL or if I broke the law. Topic is should I register my handgun or not. What are the plus side vs. down side for doing so? Can't believe people with such low post count rushing into conclusion like they know something. I've been posting here long enough to know what is right and what is wrong. Thanks for the useless comments.

gimmejr
05-18-2005, 10:35 PM
I recently just started buying firearms so forgive my ignorance but isnt a firearm registered once you go threw the whole FFL process? And isnt that form for guns brought into the state by people moving here or father to son type transfers?

LongBch_SigP226
05-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by gimmejr:
I recently just started buying firearms so forgive my ignorance but isnt a firearm registered once you go threw the whole FFL process? And isnt that form for guns brought into the state by people moving here or father to son type transfers? Don't know about firearm being registered after going through FFL. But I do know that the form I mentioned above is not for the new residents. Form for the new CA residents is here (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf).

Josh
05-18-2005, 10:57 PM
going through 10 day waiting period. Please stay with the topic. Topic was not about whether I went through FFL or if I broke the law. Topic is should I register my handgun or not. What are the plus side vs. down side for doing so? Can't believe pe

if you did buy the gun and go through a CA FFL then it is already registered to you. Hence the need for ID and documents stating your current address.

How did you think they register new guns?

That form is for registering any firearm. Currently longarms are not registered except for AW's. Also the handgun registration has not always been around, it started some time in the 90's I think.

jdberger
05-18-2005, 11:49 PM
DROS

Dealer
Record
Of
Sale

no need to "register"

Actually, if you go to the DOJ website, they claim that you do not have to Register guns in CA.

my gosh, i almost peed my pants, that was so funny... http://www.calguns.net/laughroll.gif

rjones0604
05-19-2005, 10:58 AM
If you used a CA FFL, your handgun is already registered. Even though CA DOJ claims they don't register guns, they do. Since 1989 (I believe) all handgun purchases that use an FFL are registered at CA DOJ.

The $19.00 registration you are referring to is for either folks moving in from out-of-state (required by CA law) or for anyone in possession of an older handgun, as in one that was passed down to you by someone older who had the gun legally (prior to 1989).

In your case, you need do nothing - your already registered...Don't you just feel so much better??

rob

bwiese
05-19-2005, 5:19 PM
Ding...

<LI> Unless your seller's state required it, this transaction didn't need an FFL at the other end - just in CA. In-state FFL is enough.

<LI> Since you went thru a CA FFL, did the 10day wait and DROS paperwork, your handgun is already de-facto 'registered'.

<LI> The form you're asking about just enters a handgun into DROS registry that wasn't there already - as in the case of a gun in CA that was transferred/acquired paper-free before 1/1/91, or a handgun that's been moved into CA since 1998 from out of state by a 'personal handgun importer'.

So there's no benefit to this and it's redundant.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

LongBch_SigP226
05-19-2005, 6:43 PM
Thanks for all your help guys.

Pthfndr
05-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by DingChavez:
Ummmmm...where are you NoCal guys getting idea that I didn't go through FFL. Maybe I was not clear on my post ...

Because you said you bought it out of state from the "seller". No where in your post did you mention you had the transfer done through a CA FFL. Had you said that you would have been told the handgun was now registered. That's why when a handgun transfer is done - either for a purchase from the store or a transfer between private parties - the serial number of the firearm is entered on the paperwork. Unlike long guns.

And how long someone has been posting on the internet (you or anyone else) is no indication of how well they know the laws, rules, regulations, etc. There are lots of misconceptions, inappropriate opinions, misinformation, etc on the web.

You said you know what is right and wrong. Well, obviously you don't know as much as you thought otherwise you would have known the handgun you bought became registered when you did the paperwork.

Next time you might give ALL the details of how a transaction proceeded, from start to finish.

LongBch_SigP226
05-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Pthfndr:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DingChavez:
Ummmmm...where are you NoCal guys getting idea that I didn't go through FFL. Maybe I was not clear on my post ...

Because you said you bought it out of state from the "seller". No where in your post did you mention you had the transfer done through a CA FFL. Had you said that you would have been told the handgun was now registered. That's why when a handgun transfer is done - either for a purchase from the store or a transfer between private parties - the serial number of the firearm is entered on the paperwork. Unlike long guns.

And how long someone has been posting on the internet (you or anyone else) is no indication of how well they know the laws, rules, regulations, etc. There are lots of misconceptions, inappropriate opinions, misinformation, etc on the web.

You said you know what is right and wrong. Well, obviously you don't know as much as you thought otherwise you would have known the handgun you bought became registered when you did the paperwork.

Next time you might give ALL the details of how a transaction proceeded, from start to finish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Which part do you not understand? Stay with the topic. Thank you. But since your brought it up....

My understanding is DROS is not a registration. If DROS stands for "Dealer's Record of Sale", it sounds like it's nothing more than record of sales transaction that is kept solely at the dealer (or FFL). If you bought a FAL without pistol grip and later added pistol grip, does that mean your FAL is a registered Assault Weapon? No right? As Rob Jones said above, I believed CA DoJ does not maintain specific information on guns purchased, things like serial number, make and model, etc. CA DoJ even go as far as saying "Having a Firearm Ownership Record (the registration I'm talking about) on file with the DOJ may help in the return of your firearm if it is lost or stolen." Read #26 on CA DoJ FAQ page. (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#25) That sounds like they are clueless as to what guns I own unless I send in the Firearm Ownership Record form.

As jdberger above said, we do not have to register guns with CA DoJ unless it's an Assault Weapon or if you are personal firearm importer (some one that moved into California with handguns). Again, read #26 on CA DoJ FAQ page. (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#25) Are you certain that my handgun transferred from out-of-state is registered? Hmmmmm http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Pthfndr, maybe you need to buzz off you are not giving any added value to this topic.

imported_EOD Guy
05-20-2005, 7:12 AM
Originally posted by DingChavez:

My understanding is DROS is not a registration. If DROS stands for "Dealer's Record of Sale", it sounds like it's nothing more than record of sales transaction that is kept solely at the dealer (or FFL). If you bought a FAL without pistol grip and later added pistol grip, does that mean your FAL is a registered Assault Weapon? No right? As Rob Jones said above, I believed CA DoJ does not maintain specific information on guns purchased, things like serial number, make and model, etc. CA DoJ even go as far as saying "Having a Firearm Ownership Record (the registration I'm talking about) on file with the DOJ may help in the return of your firearm if it is lost or stolen." Read #26 on CA DoJ FAQ page. (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#25) That sounds like they are clueless as to what guns I own unless I send in the Firearm Ownership Record form.

As jdberger above said, we do not have to register guns with CA DoJ unless it's an Assault Weapon or if you are personal firearm importer (some one that moved into California with handguns). Again, read #26 on CA DoJ FAQ page. (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#25) Are you certain that my handgun transferred from out-of-state is registered? Hmmmmm http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Pthfndr, maybe you need to buzz off you are not giving any added value to this topic.

If you think DOJ doesn't maintain a handgun registry, just write them a letter asking for a list of handguns registered in your name. You will receive a list of every handgun that went through the DROS system and any others you voluntarily registered.

All handguns sold by California dealers are registered with DOJ. RIfles and shotguns are not. If you look at the DROS form, you will see detailed information about any handguns purchased but no information on rifles or shotguns.

Josh
05-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Ding you came here asking a question, everyone is telling you the same thing.

Now if you want to just argue with people fine post away, if you really have a question then either believe what everyone has said or just call the DOJ.

Different information is filled out for pistols or long arms on the DROS, both on paper and on the computer.
They use the DROS along with the proof or residency to register the handgun to you PERIOD

shooterx10
05-20-2005, 11:43 AM
For long arms, if the DOJ or the cops in general wanted to know every long arm you have, they'll have to go to the FFL and comb through his pile of Form 4473's.

When and if the SHTF, I hope the FFL's will conveniently start "losing" their Form 4473's. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Anyone remember the movie, Red Dawn?

gqmedic
05-25-2005, 8:41 AM
Guns? What guns? Register my guns? I lost all mine in a boating accident. They all sank to the bottom of the ocean. *Dramatic sigh* Oh the agony of it all.