PDA

View Full Version : 9mm through a .40s&w

762cavalier
08-09-2009, 7:24 PM
NOT RECOMMENDED. While out shooting my son was shooting my XD40sc. we were using reloads from Ammo Bros. Halfway through the mag, the gun has a FTE. Went over to help my son clear the jam and looked at the case when it popped free of the chamber and noticed it did not look normal.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x179/762cavalier/9mmoutofa401.jpg
notice the off center firing pin indent
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x179/762cavalier/9mmoutofa402.jpg

Apparently there was one 9mm round in the box of .40's. I was loading mags and didn't notice. I feel kind of stupid and am really happy nothing bad happened.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x179/762cavalier/Ryan40.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x179/762cavalier/Ryan402.jpg

hybridatsun350
08-09-2009, 7:26 PM
Wow! That's pretty impressive. I'm surprised the primer actually went off. If I stick a 9mm case in my .40 S&W Glock it falls down the barrel without much effort. Don't ask why I know that. I was really bored one day.

dskell
08-09-2009, 7:26 PM
That's pretty freaky.
I'm glad to hear no one got hurt.

No damage to the barrel or anything?

J-cat
08-09-2009, 7:33 PM
I saw a .308 through a 7mm Mag once...

22popnsplat
08-09-2009, 7:39 PM
Once many years ago a freind and I were shooting in the desert and had ammo on the tailgate of the pickup . I somehow picked one 44 mag round and loaded it into my blackhawk chambered in 45 colt , it got my attention for sure . no damage to the gun and the bullet keyholed through the target , I saved that case for many years and wish i could find it still as it is a great reminder of a lesson learned.

ke6guj
08-09-2009, 7:41 PM
yup, it does happen on occasion. The extractor can hold the 9mm round good enough for the firing pin to get the primer to go off. The same thing can happen with a 40S&W in a .45.

762cavalier
08-09-2009, 7:49 PM
NO damage to the gun. cleared the gun, popped the mag back in and continued shooting. That little XD sure is a fun little gun.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-09-2009, 7:52 PM
When my department switched to semi-autos, we had several incidents like this. We wound up separating the 9MM and .40 as widely as possible.

One deputy nonetheless managed to load a couple of 9MM rounds in his .40 magazine. He also managed to send a loaded 9MM partway down the bore and follow it with a .40 S&W.

I'm happy to see that it didn't happen to you!

jyo
08-09-2009, 8:01 PM
Well, despite our best efforts, this sometimes happens---many years ago I took a fellow out shooting so that he could try out his newest hand cannon---a brand new .454 Casull revolver. I am a fan of this extremely high quality gun and felt he could use some coaching to learn this very high powered piece. To my complete surprise, the first time he pulled the trigger, instead of the BIG bang we both expected, there was only a poof! It turned out that instead of .454 Casull ammo he had loaded the gun with .44 magnum rounds! Because of the same rim size, it was held in place and fired, but because the cartridge was of a much smaller diameter the bullet just exited the gun under very low pressure and no harm was done to this fine gun. On a semi-auto pistol the round will often be held in place by the extractor, allowing the gun to to fire---again because the round is not tightly enclosed by the chamber and the bullet itself is of a smaller diameter, often it will still fly out of the barrel but at low velocity with no damage to the gun or shooter. Such would not be the case if you somehow managed to chamber a round of larger diameter then the bore size. Another somewhat common problem is with shotguns of 12 gauge---this occurs when a shooter mistakenly inserts a 20 gauge shell into a 12 gauge and then thinking there is no round in the chamber, puts a 12 gauge shell after it---this creates a bore blockage that often blows up the gun and injures the shooter. Be careful out there!

762cavalier
08-09-2009, 8:01 PM
When my department switched to semi-autos, we had several incidents like this. We wound up separating the 9MM and .40 as widely as possible.

One deputy nonetheless managed to load a couple of 9MM rounds in his .40 magazine. He also managed to send a loaded 9MM partway down the bore and follow it with a .40 S&W.

I'm happy to see that it didn't happen to you!

Fortunately it happened early in the session while my son was taking his time and getting used to the gun. If it would have happened later when we were doing a couple of mag dumps it could have been worse.:eek:

Near as I can tell the with the expansion of the brass and the lack of pressure created by the too small bullet, the cartridge didn't develop enough pressure to cycle the slide.

Blwnbwtie
08-09-2009, 9:58 PM
apparently 8mm mauser rounds work in a garand too. It wouldnt cycle the action, but managed to fire a clip or two off before we realized what the problem was. Im not sure how no one got hurt since the 8mm is .323 and garand is .308.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Fortunately it happened early in the session while my son was taking his time and getting used to the gun. If it would have happened later when we were doing a couple of mag dumps it could have been worse.:eek:

Near as I can tell the with the expansion of the brass and the lack of pressure created by the too small bullet, the cartridge didn't develop enough pressure to cycle the slide.

Which is what happened to the deputy's Glock. Instead of analyzing what wasn't right (he later said there was little or no recoil - should have been a clue!), he went right into a "tap rack bang" drill. That was what dislodged the second 9MM from the extractor and sent it halfway down the barrel. When the pistol failed to fire again, he repeated the drill, loading a .40 round into the chamber - and the rest was history.

He survived the incident with nothing worse than a bulged barrel in his pistol and the total destruction of his ego.

Your incident is a good reminder to all of us - if the report and/or recoil doesn't sound right, don't fire a followup shot unless it's the difference between life or death.

hybridatsun350
08-10-2009, 12:59 AM
apparently 8mm mauser rounds work in a garand too. It wouldnt cycle the action, but managed to fire a clip or two off before we realized what the problem was. Im not sure how no one got hurt since the 8mm is .323 and garand is .308.

Now that sounds like someone trying to lose one side of their face! Holy ****! :eek:

Darklyte27
08-10-2009, 9:11 AM
lucky

Lancear15
08-10-2009, 9:22 AM
Don't know who that is in the picture but his left hand shouldn't be leaving his right after firing. Put your fingers in the grooves of your other fingers with a firm grip. It will help your follow up shots dramatically.

Spyder
08-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I had a similar thing happen.

Bought a like-new Kahr K40 Elite '03 (after MONTHS of searching). A buddy of mine wanted to shoot it and I said go ahead, even though I hadn't shot it yet...figured I'd let him take the first mag dump. He loaded it up, pulled the trigger and nothing happened. He couldn't figure it out so I had him give it back to me. I dropped the mag and opened the slide, and as I did that a loaded round fell out the end of the barrel.
His dumbass loaded the mag with 9mm. He's a gun guy and not a total retard, but for some reason he sure f'ed up that day. He's lucky he didn't blow up my gun! :D

762cavalier
08-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Don't know who that is in the picture but his left hand shouldn't be leaving his right after firing. Put your fingers in the grooves of your other fingers with a firm grip. It will help your follow up shots dramatically.

That is my son and I realize that. That was the first time picking up the subcompact .40 and it is a little snappy. I spent the next 20 minutes working on his grip so he could try out the .44 mag. Before this he has just shot .22 pistol and a p89 9mm