PDA

View Full Version : anyone seen a Remington 7615 pump 223 rifle in CA??

bwiese
02-24-2005, 4:52 PM
Has anyone seen a new Remington 7615 pump 223 rifle in California yet?

This is the new pump 223 rifle (from the Remington LE group, not the commercial group) that takes AR15 magazines.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

BigRich
02-25-2005, 12:29 PM
I was just on the Acusport dealer site and they are carrying the product number but nothing in stock.

bwiese
02-25-2005, 3:16 PM
Well BigRich that's a good sign at least that they're preparing the "pipeline" for it!

Bill Wiese
San Jose

MadMex
02-25-2005, 3:18 PM
Originally posted by bwiese:

This is the new pump 223 rifle (from the Remington LE group, not the commercial group) that takes AR15 magazines.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

I must confess that I ordered one this week. FFL said 30 to 45 days to ship. I’m so tempted to start buying accessories, however I think it would be wise for me to shoot the OEM’s configuration for a while before dropping any more $. My first project will be to determine if a Factory Tactical shotgun stock adapter for an AR15 stock can be mated to the 7615P.

bwiese
02-26-2005, 6:26 PM
OK, that's good they're "orderable" now.

MadMex - if you don't mind telling, what is its MSRP, and what is dealer price? (Excluding DROS fees etc.)

Prob will put a Picatinny rail on it w/an ACOG 4X scope on it. Good all-around rugged CA-legal 'truck gun'!

Bill Wiese
San Jose

02-26-2005, 8:24 PM
is it legal to have a truck gun in california? can i just have a rifle in my car without going to a range or gunsmith? sorry to hijack but i always thought that would be a trip to jail.

eviioiive
02-26-2005, 8:38 PM
1. thers an obscure law where if youre going fishing you can have a rifle in your car
2. if youre in the military while going to or from active duty you can have a loaded rifle or shotgun in the car

MadMex
02-27-2005, 9:00 AM
MadMex - if you don't mind telling, what is its MSRP, and what is dealer price? (Excluding DROS fees etc.)

Not sure what the MSRP was, however it retailed for $749.

Admittedly, I didn’t shop around much. I recently relocated to the area (Sacto metro) and relied on a coworker’s (very avid hunter) dealer recommendation. He characterized the shop as usually reasonably priced with very knowledgeable help and excellent service.

Does this board (or another) have a thread regarding a comparison between Aimpoint and Reflex pros, cons, etc?

Thanks.

bwiese
02-28-2005, 3:07 PM
Originally posted by cowboydude2:
is it legal to have a truck gun in california? can i just have a rifle in my car without going to a range or gunsmith? sorry to hijack but i always thought that would be a trip to jail.

'Assault weapons' defined by CA (incl. 50BMG rifles now) must be registered to you, and must be transported unloaded and in locked containers. Additionally, you can't just cruise around and keep an AW with you at all times in your vehicle: you're limited to 'specific destinations' where you and your AW are expressly welcome (your home, friend's/relative's home, shooting range, etc.).

Regular long guns - rifles and shotguns - are much less regulated. They can't be loaded. Mags shouldn't be loaded. But they don't have to be in a locked case.

You can, in theory, drive around with a Mossberg 500 or a Remington bolt rifle in the thrown behind your truck's seat, with a box of shells under the seat.

There may be hunting/fishing exemptions for loaded guns, but I don't know those details... I wouldn't count on those in a metro area...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

bwiese
02-28-2005, 3:20 PM
MadMex...

Originally posted by MadMex:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">MadMex - if you don't mind telling, what is its MSRP, and what is dealer price? (Excluding DROS fees etc.)

Not sure what the MSRP was, however it retailed for $749.

Admittedly, I didn’t shop around much. I &lt;snip&gt;
recently relocated to the area </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. Not to rain on your parade but at the SHOT Show it seemed its MSRP was gonna be $739 (? IIRC), so I'd figure a reasonable 'deal' would be around $650+ish....

Does this board (or another) have a thread regarding a comparison between Aimpoint and Reflex pros, cons, etc?

You're gonna have to get some kinda mount - like a Picatinny rail.

Aimpoint Comp-Ms are essentially same as US mil's M68 close combat optic ("CCO"). Rugged, durable, and for the last few years LONG battery life. I've looked thru Aimpoints vs Trij. Reflex sights and I like the Aimpoints.

Other cheapie imported red dot sights from no-name co's may drift, etc. I regard them same way I think of Tasco scopes: junque.

Plan B is to get a quality magnifying optic on your rifle with max 4X power (to keep reasonable field of view for quick target acquisition). ACOGs, Elcans and the IOR Valdada 3X scope w/Red dot are all quality items that will give your 7615 some "legs".

Knowing Remington barrel quality, the Rem 7615 is likely to be pretty accurate and will prob be much better than other CA-legal 223s like Mini-14s and SU16s, which are not known for stellar accuracy even w/decent ammo. (FAB10-based rifles w/AR uppers can be very, very accurate but are of limited general utility.)

Don't put a cheap scope on a good rifle http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bill Wiese
San Jose

BigRich
02-28-2005, 4:51 PM
My 7600 Patrol 308 promises to be very accurate. The only chance I had to shoot it was at dusk at the Concord PD range and 50 yd groups with Israeli 168 BTHP match ammo were around 1.5". I was hampered by poor lighting and very coarse sights. It should do better with better conditions. It was VERY balky feeding due to what appears to be a rough feed ramp. I have to pull the barrel and polish that so I can use my 10 rd magazine. It was reluctant even with the OEM mags. One observation that relates to the 223 version is that anything other than a flush magazine got in the way when working the pump action. A 20 or 30 rd AR mag might be a problem. Another observation; the cheek height is well setup for use of iron sights and with the GR rear sight in place there is only room for a short rail ahead of the sight. One would have to choose carefully to avoid a sight that was too high or too far forward (in the case of a scope). The barrel is essentially free floated other than clearance and wobble issues with the pump handle/forearm.

02-28-2005, 5:06 PM
Originally posted by Bigrich:
I have to pull the barrel and polish that so I can use my 10 rd magazine.

Not hijack this but...

As for those 10 rd mags. for .308 7600s, I believe that only one company manufacturers them, no? If not, which (if any) are better than the others?
Anyone have some experience with them that they care to share?

bwiese
02-28-2005, 6:05 PM
My 7600 Patrol 308... .was VERY balky feeding due to what appears to be a rough feed ramp. I have to pull the barrel and polish that so I can use my 10 rd magazine.

Interesting!

Remington 700PSS rifles used to come in a "DM" detachable mag version (instead of just a flippy floorplate). These apparently were really troublesome and are not on the market anymore - I believe this is why HS Precision is selling 700PSS detach mag kits - for upgrades to regular PSSes and fixes of the PSS DMs.

This may be a mag fault. It's actually hard to make a good mag - look how crappy a lot of the aftermarket mags were in the pre-1994 rush.

I suspect a good working AR mag may be a boon here.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

MadMex
02-28-2005, 9:26 PM
Don't put a cheap scope on a good rifle http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Where does the CMore Tactical fit on your scale? (http://www.cmore.com/tactical.html). It might be worth having irons as a backup. Any suggestions on matching the elevation of a high-tube stock configuration with the elevation of optics mounted on a rail? I’m new to this stuff. Still learning.

Thanks.

-hanko
02-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Basura Blanca:
As for those 10 rd mags. for .308 7600s, I believe that only one company manufacturers them, no? If not, which (if any) are better than the others?
Anyone have some experience with them that they care to share?
Millet, Eagle, and Ram Line have/do make them. I bought a couple of Ram Line mags for my 2 760's, one a .270 (long action), the other a .257 Roberts (short action).

Both worked ok but lacked the solid feel of the steel mags. I've put maybe only a box of ammo through each, so it's not a long term torture test.

To digress to the rifles, I can get both to shoot ± moa at 100; haven't tried any farther yet. Both are extremely fast, subjectively a little quicker than a lever gun.

-hanko

BigRich
02-28-2005, 10:32 PM
The 10 rd mag that I have is made by Triple K and is all steel. I will suspect this one until it proves itself thoroughly. This one will not feed 3 in a row in that rifle right now. The OEM nags will generally feed the whole mag but are very rough right on the feed ramp.

03-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the mag. information guys.

Although I'd prefer metal over plastic, I'll pass on the Triple Ks - lot's of frustrating bad luck with some 1911 mags. in the past.

BigRich
03-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Yup, frustration with this one too. I got done with the ramp and chamber approach polishing, detail clean and lube. We shall see if it works better (or at all with the TripleK). No sense throwing the silly thing out. I would rather cuss at it and threaten it with my ballpeen hammer but keep messing with it all the same.

03-05-2005, 12:01 AM
I would rather cuss at it and threaten it with my ballpeen hammer but keep messing with it all the same.

You too, huh?
I've got a drawer full of "threats" of different shapes and sizes in my box. If that fails, I've got a 100 ton press at my disposal.

...then there's the forklift.
http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ivanimal
03-05-2005, 2:43 AM
I have a 760 in 30-06 it drops the mags if you don’t practically hammer it in. I always hear, Open the bolt first then put in the mag. Well, that’s what I have been doing, thank you very much. It still drops the mags on occasion. This is not a very costly rifle, but I love the 06 i've tried other mags, same thing. It is just frustrating. The guys at sierra just laughed and said yeah what do you want from a detachable mag pump gun.

BigRich
03-06-2005, 1:38 AM
Ivanimal,
My 7600P is just the opposite. I had to fit 3 of the 4 OEM mags that I have (the TripleK is another story altogether)just to get them to seat properly in the gun. One thing I have noticed, the design is such that the hammer lays against the back of the mag when in the fired position. In this postiton it is difficult to get a mag to seat on the first try. With the hammer cocked they now drop in and lock without any drama. I did not realize this whole thing was really a kit when I bought it; mag issues, feed ramp roughness etc., etc.

lingcodkilla
03-13-2005, 1:32 AM
Originally posted by MadMex:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bwiese:

Bill Wiese
San Jose

I must confess that I ordered one this week. FFL said 30 to 45 days to ship. I’m so tempted to start buying accessories, however I think it would be wise for me to shoot the OEM’s configuration for a while before dropping any more $. My first project will be to determine if a Factory Tactical shotgun stock adapter for an AR15 stock can be mated to the 7615P. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This makes me very excited. I plan on getting one as soon as possible.

MadMex
03-13-2005, 8:45 PM
This makes me very excited. I plan on getting one as soon as possible.

lingcodkilla,

Let me know if you find any quality 10 round magazines (metal w/removable base plate). I’ve scoured the web to no avail. With the AW sunset, 20 & 30 round magazines have displaced 10 round magazines in the market place.

bwiese
03-14-2005, 10:10 AM
MadMex...

Try to get some Bushmaster or DPMS 10 rd AR magazines. Those are rumored to be OK, at least in AR15s.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

03-14-2005, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by bwiese:
MadMex...

Try to get some Bushmaster or DPMS 10 rd AR magazines. Those are rumored to be OK, at least in AR15s.

One caveat since the stipulation was that the mag have a removeable base plate:

The Bushmaster 10's can't, or aren't designed to, be disassembled, IIRC.