PDA

View Full Version : How many people would actually get CCWs?

Fjold
08-09-2009, 12:54 PM
First of all, a big "thank you" to Kes for starting this forum. I'm sure that this forum will soon generate more discussion and get more information out to more people here in California than any other forum. Let's remember to be polite and not think that we're competing against any of the other CCW forums as we all have the same goals in mind. With that being said, I have a philisophical question:

People here (Calguns, et al) in California talk about working to get CA into a shall-issue State but even if that happens how many people would actually do it?

The latest numbers that I could find (admittedly short search) says that in 1999 the population of Texas was 20,044,000 people and as a shall issue state they only had 215,582 CCW permits issued. That's barely over 1% of the population.

Friends of mine (mostly gun owners) who live there just don't even bother to put in for a permit and they cannot open carry in the state either.

Realistically how many people here in California would get CCW permits if the state went to shall-issue?

JOEKILLA
08-09-2009, 1:08 PM
I have no idea on how many in California would, but you can count me in.

Cjones38
08-09-2009, 1:25 PM
I know many people who would, me being one of them!

Kestryll
08-09-2009, 1:28 PM
I definitely would.

johnthomas
08-09-2009, 1:36 PM
I live in Salinas and work the 2nd shift 20 miles down the road, I pull into town at 11:30 pm. I would. I know many folks talk about their reasons, one being to protect innocent lives. The way things are here, I wouldn't risk being in the middle of a gang, gunfight, I would only use use it to protect myself and mine.

Fjold
08-09-2009, 1:37 PM
I saw that someone had posted that only 16% of the people in California favor "shall-issue" CCWs. With a population of 38 million people (2008) that means that over 6 million people favor "shall-issue".

What percentage of those would actually apply?

blackberg
08-09-2009, 2:01 PM
maybe a poll will provide a bit more info..
-bb

Mstrty
08-09-2009, 2:25 PM
Got a worthless Utah (I rarely leave the state) I would get California if they would let me.

MikeinnLA
08-09-2009, 2:47 PM
I would get one so that I could keep a gun in the car for self defense, but I would never carry on my person. There is WAY too much financial liability involved for my liking. You shoot the wrong person and your life is over. Actually, you shoot the RIGHT person and the family sues, your life could be over as well given the juries I've seen in L.A.

Mike

caoboy
08-09-2009, 2:49 PM
I would definitely get a license to carry. I know of many friends who would too, a couple of them already carry and would love for their families to be able to carry as well.

rrr70
08-09-2009, 2:50 PM
I want one.:mad:

Turo
08-09-2009, 2:54 PM
If the state went shall issue tomorrow, I would be handing my application in as soon as the place opened.

ojisan
08-09-2009, 2:54 PM
At least 4, maybe as many as 8 between me, my wife, my sons, my brother, my BIL and a couple other non-CG friends.
The total number may still be a small percentage overall.

mblat
08-09-2009, 3:07 PM
Statistically between 1 and 3%? IIRC. That makes for somewhere from 300,000 to a million?
And I would absolutely would be one of them

technique
08-09-2009, 3:07 PM
I plan on one in Idaho.... but not Ca unless we become a shall issue state.

Doheny
08-09-2009, 3:16 PM
Got a worthless Utah (I rarely leave the state) I would get California if they would let me.

I have one too. I go to NV every couple of months and that's why I got a UT. Now that NV no longer accepts UT, it's just taking up space in my wallet.

I do travel to WA every few months (where UT is accepted), but I don't think doing the whole airplane check-in thing is worth the effort.

Doheny
08-09-2009, 3:18 PM
Statistically between 1 and 3%? IIRC. That makes for somewhere from 300,000 to a million?
And I would absolutely would be one of them

That's one thing that was found when the shall-issue states started issuing. There wasn't the mad rush that the antis said there would be. Only the responsible guns owners applied; bad guys don't need them and would never subject themselves to a background check.

CSDGuy
08-09-2009, 3:42 PM
I certainly would get a CCW... Shall Issue or not. It's a question of "Good Cause" in my county.

Shotgun Man
08-09-2009, 4:21 PM
You should edit your post and make it a poll.

Yes, No, I dunno.

CSDGuy
08-09-2009, 4:34 PM
I have one too. I go to NV every couple of months and that's why I got a UT. Now that NV no longer accepts UT, it's just taking up space in my wallet.

I do travel to WA every few months (where UT is accepted), but I don't think doing the whole airplane check-in thing is worth the effort.
I take it that you travel to WA then, unarmed? Can't say that I blame you. Checking your pistol exposes it to risk of theft... and it's out of your control.

gravedigger
08-09-2009, 4:55 PM
You bet I would. I am just so ticked about all of these STUPID gun laws, that make it impossible to know at any given moment whether you are breaking any law! Imagine if any of the OTHER rights were treated differently depending on which side of a street you were standing on? "

You can say anything here, but over there in front of the school, you can't cuss, and over there next to the Wal-Mart, you can't talk about politics unless you're wearing an "I'd do Obama!" T-shirt, oh, and by the way, your freedom of speech is only during these certain hours on alternate Sundays when the Mayor is out fishing ..."

The SECOND amendment, including CONCEALED CARRY should be a national RIGHT, with only the most minimal of restrictions. I even think people should be able to carry into a courthouse, a school, a church and even a childcare center if they choose. If the person is an honest, law-abiding citizen, it shouldn't matter WHERE he carries, and that would include standing in a room with the PotUS! Gosh, I guess politicians would listen to people a lot more closely, if they knew that getting on the wrong side of someone came with some risk, eh?

You bet I'd get a CCW, and as soon as I move OUT of this cesspool of liberalism here in CommieFornia, I'm going to get one.

bruceflinch
08-09-2009, 5:34 PM
I'd be interested in getting one.
Should have done the Poll thing.

packnrat
08-09-2009, 6:09 PM
I would just as soon as I get a legal address again.

But in this county I will be doing the paper (see above).

RudyN
08-09-2009, 6:11 PM
I sure a heck would apply for one.

xxdabroxx
08-09-2009, 6:13 PM
i'm in. I would love to have one, but cannot for the life of me think of something that makes me more vulnerable to a threat than anyone else. So right now i sit with no ccw.

I would bet that darn near all of Calguns would. Prob closer the 50% as some dont feel the need and many already have one.

nicki
08-09-2009, 7:22 PM
Although I don't have a pressing need right now, not having a CCW is like driving without insurance.

Nicki

Fjold
08-09-2009, 7:22 PM
I started a poll on a new post.

Sam
08-09-2009, 9:40 PM
i'm in. I would love to have one, but cannot for the life of me think of something that makes me more vulnerable to a threat than anyone else. So right now i sit with no ccw.

I would bet that darn near all of Calguns would. Prob closer the 50% as some dont feel the need and many already have one.

You should figure out if anyone is from Tulare County that has one or find a CCW instructor in your area for suggestions. Just because you may not think of anything someone else may be able to help you. What is the average response time where you live/work/drive/commute? What is the crime rate like in said areas?

SCMA-1
08-10-2009, 6:56 AM
I already have permits from Utah and Nevada which allows me to carry in 29(?) states except for my home state of Commiefornia.:rolleyes: Of course I'll be applying as soon as it happens; been waiting for decades for this to happen.:)

SCMA-1

gn3hz3ku1*
08-10-2009, 11:29 AM
i'd get it.. but prob wont carry most of the time

Mstnpete
08-10-2009, 4:20 PM
I used to have one from Washington State. When I moved to California, I applied at the San Bernardino Sherif's and almost was given one.
Until I found out that I had to be residing in San Bernardino and had to have 30 of my friends write about me and the cost was $600.00. That was in 1994.
I just moved and did not have 30 friends during that time.

Now I'm being offered the multI state CCW by a Captain friend from Nevada.
But isn't recognized in California. But I still would like to have one from CA.

Jesse996r
08-10-2009, 5:38 PM
I would get 1.

dantodd
08-10-2009, 6:39 PM
Wouldn't carry everyday but would definitely do the paperwork and retain the right to do so.

leitung
08-10-2009, 7:27 PM
I would get one and carry daily.. as an Armed Security Guard that patrols in the GHETTO I would feel a lot better about having it near by.

I have been threatened so many times, despite that, I am not allowed to carry off duty.. Stupid state we live in eh?

Vectrexer
08-10-2009, 7:38 PM
Despite the fact that I think a Law "allowing" a CCW is a disgusting concept, I would still apply for a CCW if that meant I was allowed to carry concealed!

CAG23
08-15-2009, 6:03 PM
I would get one too......would I carry? Thats another question. I was born and rasied in California and I was always told that guns were bad. My my parents were not anti gun but small city I lived in and the schools (public) that I went to all told us kids that guns were bad. I think that is the reason why so many people of the general public have such a fear of guns. Dont get me wrong the media has a lot to do with it too. If this state goes shall issue it will take a while for everyone to get comfortable with the ideal of people carrying guns. I would be afraid that someone would see the outline of the butt of the gun under my shirt if the wind blows against me or if someone accidently bumps into me and feels the butt of the gun. But none the less I would still get one.....

gregorylucas
08-15-2009, 7:16 PM
I would get a permit so fast it would make Bill Cogbill's head spin.

Greg

50CalAL
08-15-2009, 9:21 PM
If Cali became a shall issue state I'd definitely be getting my CCW.

foxtrotuniformlima
08-15-2009, 9:45 PM
I'd get it just for convenience. My issue would be that many of the places I go for work will not allow it. So I'm not sure how I'd deal with that but I'd get a CCW anyway.

MidnightSon117
08-16-2009, 4:04 AM
Yes. I would have gotten it yesterday if I could!

hawk1547
08-20-2009, 6:30 PM
Definitely I would love to have one,and carry everyday,something I've had been waiting for so long.

8-Ball
08-20-2009, 7:00 PM
Count me in...

caoboy
08-21-2009, 11:50 AM
If I get my hand gun that I would carry all the time, I'm going to Las Vegas and getting a non-resident CCW. I go there quite a bit. It would be good practice if CA ever becomes a shall issue state.

rynando
08-25-2009, 7:13 PM
I would guess that most on this site would like a CCW. Hopefully, in the short term, a new Sheriff in my home county will make a permit a possibility again.

R

Sheepdog1968
08-25-2009, 8:59 PM
To me the question is more like why wouldn't you? You can always choose not to carry if you have it.

Rynando, I think Las Vegas may have some special CCW restrictions relative to the rest of the state. You may want to look into this.

bombadillo
08-25-2009, 9:12 PM
I can get it here as humboldt is one of the easiest counties to acquire one but i'm lazy. I need to pay my few hundred in fees, take the test and be over with it. I also have to meet with the sheriff who is a high school friend's dad so that should be rough.

Blue
08-25-2009, 9:14 PM
I would. And I'd make my wife get one too.

ZirconJohn
08-25-2009, 9:31 PM
I have my CCW; Mendocino County, for 6+ years now and here's the deal!

When it's this easy to get; when all you have to do is go to the class, pay the money, shoot the target, write two gosh-dernt words on the application reason why you are applying. And they tell you that, they say all we want to see is two (2) words 'personal protection' on the application, any more than that is a waste.
When they open the doors and invite you in... and say come one, come all... get your CCW here!!!
Talk about a bunch of slow moving, undecided, wishy-washy, uh yeah... maybe, oh I'll think about it etc.
I say; do you have any idea how good 'GREAT' of an opportunity you have here... this is HEAVEN on earth that the Sheriff is passin' out CCW's like... here, take one, take this class, shoot your gun, sign-up... here... here is your CCW, badda-boom badda-bing John Freakin' Wayne raght-chere in River City.
Oh but NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!!
Uh... I don't know, uh maybe... I don't know that I would ever need a gun in public bunch of wah-wah... good thing these guys don't live across the street to a whore house... the pretty girls would go out of business!
When they open the door, and they say come one, come all, get your CCW here... take a bus, take a taxi, take a plane if you have to, but GO! Don't walk, RUN!
There...! Rant over:rant:

hollabillz
08-26-2009, 5:02 AM
I would get one so that I could keep a gun in the car for self defense, but I would never carry on my person. There is WAY too much financial liability involved for my liking. You shoot the wrong person and your life is over. Actually, you shoot the RIGHT person and the family sues, your life could be over as well given the juries I've seen in L.A.

Mike

How is there any less financial liability if you shoot someone from your car? For one, you're breaking additional laws. Two, you're adding road rage incidents as a potential reasoning for a criminal/civil suit. Does your gun have a mind of its own? If you carry it in your car it's safe, but once you take a step out of your car, it starts randomly shooting at people and blames you for it? In all seriousness, financial liability would be no worse (it may even be better) for carrying outside of your motor vehicle. My best guess is liberal juries would favor with you more when you're walking from your office to your car at night than another motorist threatened your life.

ZirconJohn
08-26-2009, 10:03 AM

Mike

WHAT!!!:shock: - Are you serious, or is this satire and I am a blind man!?!

paul0660
08-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by MikeinnLA
I would get one so that I could keep a gun in the car for self defense,

A CCW does not give you the right to leave a loaded and/or unlocked handgun in your car, if that is what you are talking about........it is a CARRY permit. As for the liability issues, having one and carrying change your outlook on a lot of situations. The likelyhood of using a firearm seem less after getting and carrying than before, strangely enough. Anyway, if it comes down to the choice between being injured or killed and being sued, start picking my jury.

Decoligny
08-26-2009, 11:47 AM

Mike

If you are ever in the position where you would shoot this "Right" or "Wrong" person, it had better be in a situation where if you don't shoot them, your LIFE would be over. When I say LIFE, I mean your breathing, heartbeat, thinking and talking LIFE, not your "I'm in jail until the jury finds that It was self defense" life, not your "I can't send my kids to college and I have to work a second mortgage cause I got sued" life.

You don't shoot someone unless you are in fear of being KILLED or GRAVELY INJURED by that person.

You don't shoot them because the keyed your car, or stole your parking place.

Carrying a gun on your person only allows you to defend your life if the situation arises.

Not carrying a gun on your person only ensures that it will be much more difficult and dangerous to defend your life if the situation arises.

Thus the saying "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6".
You have to be alive to be sued. You have to be alive to go to jail.

CmpsdNoMore
08-26-2009, 1:47 PM
I wouldn't carry every day, seeing as I'm a college student, but I would definitely find a way to make some extra money to get the permit.

Cnynrat
08-26-2009, 2:04 PM
My wife and I already have UT and FL CCWs. I would definitely get a CA CCW if I could.

As others have said I don't think I'd carry all the time. We spend a fair amount of time camping and wheeling in the middle of nowhere and it would be good to be able to have a weapon in the car carried in a useful condition.

Eat Dirt
08-31-2009, 10:05 PM
I already have my Ut. and Nevada CCW .Have had for years because I travel
What about the state I " Live " in ?????
Why can't I get one HERE ??????