PDA

View Full Version : Refinish or leave it original? HK P7M13

xtalpimp
08-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi all,

Was torn on refinishing a HK P7M13 that I found used in the original nickel from the factory.

It has these weird dark spots near the muzzle on the slide and the original nickel has turned a little golden in color. From what I can dig up the golden discoloration is pretty standard for the factory nickels. The weird spots are another matter. I have owned the gun for at least seven years and the spots are not growing so it is not rust, nor so they seem to be on the surface. my guess is the original plating had some errors in the prep work before the final plate was done.

I like this gun but do not shoot it all that much as I beat the p7m8 since it is much more common. Unfortunately in the great state of california the p7m13 has become kinda hard to find. I know you HK nuts are out there with like 5 NIB guns but I am lucky to have found just one and would like to take care of it.

I also prefer this gun in blue; would it be a crime against humanity to refinish it or worse refinish it from factory nickel to blue?

If this was your gun what would you do? CCR has done outstanding work for my crappy P6 they have a nice picture of a silver refinished p7m13 that got me thinking. If this was your gun would you refinish it?

Greg-Dawg
08-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Pics? I'd have to see it first.

J-cat
08-09-2009, 11:32 AM
CCR silver is a polymer coating. Nickle is a hard, more durable finish. I'd send it to Robar for NP-3.

hawk1
08-09-2009, 11:56 AM
It's yours, do as you wish. :)

epic4444
08-09-2009, 11:57 AM
pretty pointless to post this unless there are pictures

Fantasma
08-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah just leave it as is, buy some ammo and have fun with your fine firearm.

B Strong
08-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Leave it be.

Miltiades
08-09-2009, 1:45 PM
An H&K P7M13 is a rare gun, especially in California, and might sell for close to $2000. Here is a link and picture from an auction now on Gunbroker, with a current price of $1850 and reserve not met yet:

Gunbroker auction for P7M13 (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=136613067)

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/136613000/136613067/pix100413421.jpg

CCR offers a finish called Cera Plate, which is electroless nickel with a little boron nitride mixed in for wear resistance. It duplicates the color of your original nickel plating on the gun. I believe they will charge a little over $200 for refinishing your gun in Cera Plate (not the Cera Hide, which is different).

With a gun worth as much as your P7M13, this seems like a small investment to bring it back to original appearance. I'd do it.

J-cat
08-09-2009, 2:14 PM
One issue you need to address is the chrome barrel. Stripping the original nickle will strip the chrome off the barrel unless you press it out of the frame first.

leelaw
08-09-2009, 5:06 PM
Strip the nickel plating, refinish in NP3 :D

C_1
08-09-2009, 5:16 PM
It doesnt hurt to leave it alone but new nickel plating looks good. Cera Plate sounds good. Can't go wrong with NP3. But a gold P7, which I know is not very practical, would definitely be something different.. Just thought I throw it out there..

tankerman
08-09-2009, 5:40 PM
Dude, it only counts if someone is actually trying to buy it for that price.........the gun at the end of your link has 0 bids.
Here is a link and picture from an auction now on Gunbroker, with a current price of $1850 and reserve not met yet

ccr
08-10-2009, 4:16 AM
I believe this is the one you are referring to. This P7 was refinished in Cera-Plate which is our Electroless Nickel/Boron Nitride plating process similar to NP3 except they us Teflon and we use Boron Nitride. We mask off the barrels so we do not disturb the factory Chrome

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae156/ccr_photos/000_0321.jpg

J-cat
08-10-2009, 7:41 AM
How do you strip the nickle?

xtalpimp
08-10-2009, 9:11 AM
here are pics

Black Majik
08-10-2009, 9:14 AM
After seeing the pictures, I wouldn't give it a second thought of refinishing it. NP3 would look great and, in my opinion raise the value since it's being refinished by a very well respected company.

Miltiades
08-10-2009, 9:20 AM
Dude, it only counts if someone is actually trying to buy it for that price.........the gun at the end of your link has 0 bids.

Okay, here are three closed bids on Gunbroker for H&K P7M13s where the gun sold:

1. Sold for $1800, 2 bids (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131534419)

2. Sold for $2000, 5 bids (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=132113522)

3. Sold for $2500, 1 bid (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=135083615)

Is that enough evidence for you, or should I list more?

xtalpimp
08-10-2009, 10:21 AM
does refinishing destroy the collector value of this gun?

I love CCR they turned my crappy sig P6 into a new gun. I am thinking about sending this to them as well.

Just wanted to see if refinishing would lower the value of this piece vs leaving it as the years and the factory has.

Fantasma
08-10-2009, 10:24 AM
does refinishing destroy the collector value of this gun?

I love CCR they turned my crappy sig P6 into a new gun. I am thinking about sending this to them as well.

Just wanted to see if refinishing would lower the value of this piece vs leaving it as the years and the factory has.

Yeah it would hit it but not destroy it.

domokun
08-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah it would hit it but not destroy it.

Yep. As long as it's done properly and tastefully, it shouldn't hurt the value of the gun much.

Miltiades
08-10-2009, 10:50 AM
I can't speak for all collectors, but I am a collector, and I wouldn't buy your gun today based on the photos you posted showing the blemishes on the slide. I want things I collect to be in excellent condition, functionally and visually.

But if you redid the gun and it looked like the photo posted above by CCR, I would consider buying it in the $1800 range. It wouldn't bother me that it was refinished, as long as the job was done well.

chefdude
08-10-2009, 11:05 AM
ok my mistake after seeing the pictures I would say Send it to Robar in AZ and have them do the np3 finish..pay the extra money and have them do the the WHOLE gun and Mags too..

tankerman
08-10-2009, 1:29 PM
I never asked for evidence, I just questioned your choice of examples...there is a difference.

I sold a P7M10 for $3,000. Never even listed it, the buyer came looking for me.
Okay, here are three closed bids on Gunbroker for H&K P7M13s where the gun sold:

1. Sold for $1800, 2 bids (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131534419)

2. Sold for $2000, 5 bids (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=132113522)

3. Sold for $2500, 1 bid (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=135083615)

Is that enough evidence for you, or should I list more?

The SoCal Gunner
08-10-2009, 1:58 PM
I'd get it refinished. I don't mind wear and tear but prefer that I be the one to do it. The pics you posted looks like something similar that happened to a Walther I had. It could get worse if left alone and I honestly think it would be worth more refinished.

Get it done by a well known refinisher and spend a little extra if needed. I just had a pistol refinished and am unhappy with how it turned out and am surprised they released the gun to me like that. I'm in the process of trying to get this resolved.

Sky_DiveR
08-10-2009, 2:08 PM
I've seen H&K factory nickel with a faint yellow hue but never the discoloration that you have. I'm no metallurgist but I'd say that some of the metals that make up the nickel plating have oxidized. The fact that you say it's not spreading would lead me to believe prep work... the same conclusion that you arrived at.

That being said, appearance is personal... it doesn't affect the functioning of the gun. If it were mine, I would refinish. Thing is, I shoot my guns, they have no real collectible value (except maybe, just maybe, my Python w/Colt-Guard). I also have pride in my guns looking pristine (or at least very pretty).

I look at it this way... If I was going to sell it to a collector in the future... look up an antique dealer that specializes in firearms and see what they say about the condition of your gun and refinishing it (I'm not talking about "The Antiques Roadshow" either). You wouldn't ask a normal car mechanic about the collector value of an old european car would you?

Whichever you decide only you must live with the consequences.

Just my $0.02.

AMC
08-11-2009, 7:05 AM
I'd refinish it. CCR does great work and NP3 by Robar would be pretty sweet too.

J-cat
08-11-2009, 7:19 AM
I'd like to know how CCR masks off the barrel while stripping the nickle. There's the barrel, and the chamber, and the gas cylinder that has a hole leading to the barrel. On the chamber end, there's no barrel to mask. You have to plug it, but the acid could get on some parts of it.

xtalpimp
08-11-2009, 10:45 AM
So for a modern gun like this that has been discontinued from the factory, refinishing it seems, does not destroy the value of the gun.

Where as refinishing a colt walker dragoon would be a crime and sink its collector value. I guess it has to be really old to really have its value destroyed as a collector vs a fairly modern gun that is still prized for its shooting value, I guess.