PDA

View Full Version : Browning Auto 5

09-23-2005, 4:10 AM
I just inherited a couple of Browning Auto 5s, both 12 gauge. One is a Magnum and the other a Light 12.

I've heard mixed things about these guns. Some say that they are great shooters, while others seem to think that they are finicky as to loads. How are these old girls for hunting? Is there anything else I need to know before taking 'em out? I've ordered the manuals from Browning so I can take them down for a good cleaning before I do anything else.

stillbigmac
09-23-2005, 7:30 AM
The A5 is a really good gun. You can shoot both high and low base rounds by making an adjustment.

When you get the manuals you'll see what I'm talking about.

These guns are good with lead shot and lead shot substitutes.. no STEEL. Stel shot will groove the barrels.

imported_Stevie
09-23-2005, 9:05 AM
Have a light 12 from my dad, works great. Bewear of a "gas ring" when you take it apart, if you put it on backwards it will cause short cycling. Found this out the hard way.

-hanko
09-24-2005, 5:05 PM
Originally posted by Stevie:
Have a light 12 from my dad, works great. Bewear of a "gas ring" when you take it apart, if you put it on backwards it will cause short cycling. Found this out the hard way.
Gas ring goes on in one direction for high brass loads, in the other direction for light loads. A call to Browning will get you an owner's manual, or pm me & I'll see if I can dig one up & get you a copy. Mine is a light 20 made in 1960; a very nice shooter.

-hanko

Tang
09-27-2005, 12:48 PM
I bought a Browning A-5 last year and was able to dowload the manual from Browning's Website. One of the great shotguns by the Master.