PDA

View Full Version : I over oiled my Glock

locosway
08-08-2009, 3:29 PM
Can I use brake cleaner on it now to remove all the oil?

Blue
08-08-2009, 3:30 PM
Can't you just wipe it off?

jptsr1
08-08-2009, 3:31 PM
strip it and wipe it off. why would you need brake cleaner?

locosway
08-08-2009, 3:31 PM
There's a bit in the firing pin channel. Should I detail strip it and just wipe it down?

Miltiades
08-08-2009, 3:32 PM
Do you have a dishwasher in your kitchen?

creampuff
08-08-2009, 3:35 PM
Sorry I don't know enough about Glocks to answer intelligently, but can't you let gravity allow it to ooze out. Or maybe put a towel or absorbent material to slowly let it wick itself out of the channel?

Or a snap cap in the chamber, and hopefully the action of the striker will push out the oil?

Blue
08-08-2009, 3:36 PM
I'd just wipe it down. I don't think alittle bit of oil in the firing pin channel is going to hurt anything. But who knows, it is a Glock. I'd stay away from brake cleaner though, personally.

Eroland7
08-08-2009, 3:36 PM
Just shoot it wet and sloppy. Better than being dry...

misplacedpants
08-08-2009, 3:37 PM
+1 to the dishwasher idea, works great. I turn mine down to the low-temp wash
cycle though. I'm not sure if all have this setting, its just that it being a glock, low temp my be a good idea.:iagree:

hybridatsun350
08-08-2009, 3:48 PM
Detail strip it and wipe it down.... or do you not know how to detail strip a Glock? If not, now is as good a time as any to learn how!

locosway
08-08-2009, 3:49 PM
Yes, I know how.

HondaMasterTech
Oil in the firing pin will attract junk. This can slow the firing pin down and cause light primer strikes. Not sure about brake clean and glock plastic...

hybridatsun350
Yes, I know how.

Perfect!

MILLITIAof1
08-08-2009, 3:53 PM
I bet a MAF cleaner would be a little safer then brake cleaner.

savs2k
08-08-2009, 3:53 PM
throw it in sand to soak up the oil. it'll shoot regardless.

ZepoL
08-08-2009, 4:04 PM
throw it in sand to soak up the oil. it'll shoot regardless.
+1 :43:

ybz
08-08-2009, 4:05 PM
compressed air... wear eye protection...

Beelzy
08-08-2009, 4:10 PM
Oh Jeezus, if you have to de-oil the pig, use electronics cleaner.

Why do folks use so much oil on their guns?? They are not Salmon steaks.

hawk1
08-08-2009, 4:17 PM
Watch as some of the above listed cleaners will melt plastic. Granted it's not going to melt through but it will destroy the surface.

odysseus
08-08-2009, 4:17 PM

Yep, wipe it down. If there is too much in a place you don't like and still is there then blow it out with compressed air.

Beelzy
08-08-2009, 4:22 PM
Watch as some of the above listed cleaners will melt plastic. Granted it's not going to melt through but it will destroy the surface.

Affirmative......that's why the electronics cleaner, it won't even hurt cheap
paint jobs.

locosway
08-08-2009, 4:48 PM
Thanks for the info. When I get home I'll take 'er apart.

WRENCHHEAD
08-08-2009, 4:51 PM
just use a q tip to swab out the channel.

leelaw
08-08-2009, 4:55 PM
Throw it into the microwave and the excess will evaporate off.

bombadillo
08-08-2009, 4:57 PM
brake cleaner could potentially eat the plastic of the frame. I did this on a polymer .22 rifle one time and it sucks because it darn near melts the stuff. DON'T do it.

locosway
08-08-2009, 5:06 PM
Throw it into the microwave and the excess will evaporate off.

I can keep it loaded, right?

leelaw
08-08-2009, 5:11 PM
I can keep it loaded, right?

Of course. Actually, you should load up with old ammo, since the process will freshen it up and push back the expiration date.

;)

locosway
08-08-2009, 5:12 PM
Of course. Actually, you should load up with old ammo, since the process will freshen it up and push back the expiration date.

;)

Statements like this on a public forum always worry me, then again, population control isn't such a bad thing.

BlackDrop50
08-08-2009, 5:15 PM
I thought glocks were invincible!!! hahahaha just messin

leelaw
08-08-2009, 5:18 PM
Statements like this on a public forum always worry me, then again, population control isn't such a bad thing.

You forgot the smiley. :p

Packy14
08-08-2009, 5:21 PM
why would u use brake cleaner when there's MPRO-7... super good stuff, and its not hazardous like everything else... gets guns really clean, no odor, nontoxic, and won't ruin finish.

locosway
08-08-2009, 5:21 PM
:innocent:

locosway
08-08-2009, 5:22 PM
why would u use brake cleaner when there's MPRO-7... super good stuff, and its not hazardous like everything else... gets guns really clean, no odor, nontoxic, and won't ruin finish.

Cause I likely already have some in the backyard...

locosway
08-08-2009, 5:46 PM
What's the best way to get the BreakFree CLP off the slide? No matter how much I wipe it just seems to come back.

Gryff
08-08-2009, 6:22 PM
Sixty different suggestions...wow.

Detail strip. Wipe out channel with a Qtip. Put back together. It's not like you are carrying it in Iraq.

tba02
08-08-2009, 6:44 PM
simple green and a hair dryer has worked for me (but then I don't own a glock)

Army GI
08-08-2009, 7:23 PM
a pipe cleaner maybe?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-08-2009, 7:38 PM
Please, no brake cleaner, electronic cleaner, contact cleaner, etc. As stated earlier, some of those compounds will degrade the Glock's "space age polymer" frame. Some leave residue which is not desirable.

There is a plastic liner in the firing pin channel. Don't try to remove it. Use a weapons-specific cleaner such as Gun Scrubber and hose out the slide, including the firing pin channel, and the frame. Compressed air works well to remove excess cleaner and oil residue. If you don't have a compressor, canned air works fine.

Then follow proper lubricating procedure (http://www.glockmeister.com/glubric.shtml) and your Glock will indeed be, once again, invincible. :D

locosway
08-08-2009, 7:42 PM
Please, no brake cleaner, electronic cleaner, contact cleaner, etc. As stated earlier, some of those compounds will degrade the Glock's "space age polymer" frame. Some leave residue which is not desirable.

There is a plastic liner in the firing pin channel. Don't try to remove it. Use a weapons-specific cleaner such as Gun Scrubber and hose out the slide, including the firing pin channel, and the frame. Compressed air works well to remove excess cleaner and oil residue. If you don't have a compressor, canned air works fine.

Then follow proper lubricating procedure (http://www.glockmeister.com/glubric.shtml) and your Glock will indeed be, once again, invincible. :D

Sounds great, I'll have to pickup some cleaner tomorrow or so.

Btw, I got this ticket today...

Greg-Dawg
08-08-2009, 7:42 PM
Just piss on it and it'll get cleaned quick.

HondaMasterTech
08-08-2009, 7:47 PM
Rubbing alcohol works for removing grease/oil. You can wash the slide and probably the rest of the gun with warm soapy water in the sink.

ojisan
08-08-2009, 7:49 PM
WD40...it's mild enough to be used as aftershave...
http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss136/mollym00/wd40.jpg

jazman
08-08-2009, 7:53 PM
Wait, you just got your Glock. Why in the world are you cleaning it already? Have you put a couple thousand rounds down range already? If not, leave it alone and keep shooting! All this cleaning stuff is a waste of good shooting time! :)

gdr_11
08-08-2009, 7:56 PM
Reminds me of the time I was at the range and a guy wanted to shoot my 1911s in exchange for letting me shoot his. When I pulled the trigger I got an oil bath complete with spots all over my glasses. When I asked what he used for lube, he pulled out a can of Herter's gun oil and proceeded to squirt a few more ounces on the barrel and into the action of his gun!

for the OP, I get good results with the new Hoppes solvent in a spray bottle. It has low odor, removes grease/oil well, and has no solvents that will harm plastics.

tankerman
08-08-2009, 8:43 PM
I missed the part where he said the gun was dirty...I could have swore he said it had a bit if excess oil on it.

Needs nothing more than a quick wipe, maybe shake it once or twice first.
Rubbing alcohol works for removing grease/oil. You can wash the slide and probably the rest of the gun with warm soapy water in the sink.

walter
08-08-2009, 9:24 PM
you know what you should use brake cleaner for? cleaning brakes, and THAT'S IT!

tankerman
08-08-2009, 9:31 PM
you know what you should use brake cleaner for? cleaning brakes, and THAT'S IT!
It's also good for creating birth defects.

sp_train_77
08-08-2009, 9:40 PM
From my experience training in firearms use I have found more guns harmed by over-cleaning than almost anything else.

Wipe the excess oil off all surfaces. Disassemble the firing pin mechanism and wipe it dry (normal cleaning disassembly only). A light wiping should be all that it needs.

Do not use solvents for which the reaction with the polymer frame is not know. This includes brake fluid because these chemicals can interact with "plastics." we used brake fluid as a cleaning solvent on certain aircraft parts.

locosway
08-08-2009, 9:43 PM
Wait, you just got your Glock. Why in the world are you cleaning it already? Have you put a couple thousand rounds down range already? If not, leave it alone and keep shooting! All this cleaning stuff is a waste of good shooting time! :)

A few hundred so far. It would have been more but the last range I went to wouldn't let me shoot at their steel with a 10mm.. :cool:

I was adding some "accessories" and I was running the bore snake through it and figured I'd just keep going. After oiling I was reading around and found out I made a big mistake so I can crying here... :rolleyes:

glockwise2000
08-08-2009, 9:46 PM

+1. Don't need to detail strip your Glock. If you dont have an air compressor at home then go to a gasoline station, drop 2 or 3 quarters and spray the area with compressed air.

DeanW66
08-10-2009, 9:56 PM

As long as that control happens BEFORE the genes are passed down to another generation!:43:

xxdabroxx
08-11-2009, 8:29 AM
+1. Don't need to detail strip your Glock. If you dont have an air compressor at home then go to a gasoline station, drop 2 or 3 quarters and spray the area with compressed air.

Love to be around when the cops show up to that call. :(

swerv512
08-11-2009, 2:26 PM
i've used brake cleaner on my glocks after every range session for the past 6 years and i have nothing but praise for the stuff. i field strip the glock, spray barrel and slide all over with MPRO-7, brush the slide and barrel (inside and outside with a toothbrush), use BRAKE CLEANER to completely rid barrel and slide of MP-7 residue- go ahead and use brake cleaner liberally in the firing pin channel because it dries without residue. never use brake cleaner on the poly frame. wait for cleaner to evaporate and lightly oil. tada. use a qtip and rubbing alcohol to get in the tight spaces in the frame.

stix213
08-11-2009, 4:14 PM
I would use the synthetic safe version of Gun Scrubber if you are that concerned about the oil. If this was my Glock though I would just shoot it with the oil in there.

1911su16b870
08-11-2009, 7:19 PM
To the OP...

Wear safety glasses and use the canned air to blow the oil out of the slide.

If you are doing a total disassembly, cleaning, I am a fan of MP Pro and Simple Green if you air blow dry and then relube properly (less is more :) ).

HondaMasterTech
08-13-2009, 10:06 PM
I missed the part where he said the gun was dirty...I could have swore he said it had a bit if excess oil on it.

Needs nothing more than a quick wipe, maybe shake it once or twice first.

I missed the part where I mentioned cleaning dirt off his gun. But thanks anyway!! Oil/grease attracts junk. He should clean it ALL off and start over.