PDA

View Full Version : Which is better for Competition? Glock 17 9mm or M&P .40cal?

pottymouth310
08-08-2009, 3:11 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/skylinegtr4u/DSC04405.jpg
So here is my dilemma I've been shooting matches with my .45 for quite sometime now. I too have face the harsh reality of these economical times and even with reloading, I decided to shoot a smaller caliber for the same of saving a little money.

So I have two factory guns. A Glock 17 (9mm) and a S&W M&P in .40. Both are great guns and I see alot at the range, I shoot both the same.
before I invest some money into one of these guns to gear up for comp ex: holster, mag pouches, ex magazines, trigger, guide rod, sights etc. which one is a better gun to run with for IDPA, IPSC, SSA, 3Gun & Tactical?
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/skylinegtr4u/DSC04407.jpg
G17 seem to have more part out there for upgrading?
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/skylinegtr4u/DSC04406.jpg
M&P.40 newer design & feels ideal for competition.

Please share with me which one you would choose and why?

hawk1
08-08-2009, 3:14 PM
I would think Glock. More aftermarket parts and a better trigger. :shrug:

And 9mm will be less expensive than .40 will be.

hybridatsun350
08-08-2009, 3:23 PM
Glock. No question about it. The 9mm will kick less (for quick follow-up shots) and will be cheaper to reload. Throw a 3.5# connector in it and do the 25 trigger job and you'll be good to go. Of course, you could go with lighter recoil and striker springs. It all depends on how much you want to do to the gun. Either way, I will say that my 34 with those mods is an amazing shooter!

Are you running stock sights on the Glock? If so, that should be the first thing you change!

Juicymeat
08-08-2009, 3:29 PM
As much as I like M&P's it's hard to not recommend the Glock if you want to save money. Just do what hybridatsun350 said and you're GTG. One advantage of the M&P you chose is that its in .40 cal, and thus easier to work with in terms of making minor/major loads, and .40 minor loads often recoil less than factory 9mm.

phamkl
08-08-2009, 3:35 PM
The one that feels ideal sounds pretty good, except you'll pay extra to get the M&P modified the same way you'd modify the Glock. In my opinion though, it's always best to start with "ideal".

Rob Roy
08-08-2009, 3:55 PM
I'd choose Glock 17 because you can mod it yourself and parts availability. Also, 9mm alows better rapid fire control and cheaper practice. As for me, I'd choose 1911 for competition.

B Strong
08-08-2009, 4:06 PM
The G17, Hands down.

locosway
08-08-2009, 4:09 PM
G17 of course

Untamed1972
08-08-2009, 4:34 PM
As far as ammo goes right now....it seems the cost of 9mm and .40cal is pretty nearly the same, and .40cal seems to be a little mroe readily available if you're buying factory ammo. Cant say as far as the cost of reloading goes though....I haven't got into that yet.

Voo
08-08-2009, 7:22 PM
Competitive shooting is not an inexpensive hobby. You have match fees, ammo costs(for practice and matches), gas costs, equipment/gun costs. If you're really competing and not just a once a month type warrior, the cost of shooting adds up fairly quick. The largest expense by far is the cost of ammo. If you're looking to keep your budget to a minimum, the biggest impact you can have is to keep your source of ammo cheap. Whether you get it free, reload or buy, 9mm is by far the least expensive to shoot. Brass is ridiculously plentiful and bullets for reloading are by far the cheapest to get. So in terms of cost, 9mm is the way to go

I'll say that if you're looking to keep your budget to a minimum, 9mm is the least expensive of the 2.

pottymouth310
08-09-2009, 7:58 AM
Thanks guys, you all gave me some pretty sound advise:thumbsup:
I'm happy I consulted with you guys....
see ya at the range

Greg-Dawg
08-09-2009, 10:11 AM
M&P is a wannabe Glock.

Glock 17 all the way.

Fantasma
08-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I am not a Glock fan because i don't have one yet. lol...

But in this case, glock especially in that color! I love that color on glocks it gives them soul.

hybridatsun350
08-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Why do I see two votes for the M&P, but no support for them in this thread? lol :confused:

I think it's a couple of Glock haters!

locosway
08-09-2009, 11:36 AM
M&P would probably work fine. Really, most modern guns work fine. The hardest part is usually finding one you like and that fits your hand.

Glock is neat because you can pick a model, and then pick any caliber for that model (usually). Or, you can pick a caliber and then go find a model you like.

There's also a large aftermarket following and Team Glock seems to do well in competitions. After owning and shooting Glocks I am now a fan. Although, I'm still very much a fan of the 1911 and always will be.

Legasat
08-09-2009, 3:20 PM
Why do I see two votes for the M&P, but no support for them in this thread? lol :confused:

I think it's a couple of Glock haters!

Actually, I'm not a Glock hater, just not a Glock lover. I'm sure they are fine pistols, but they just are not comfortable to me. Something about the grip angle...

My M&P's are fine weapons, though I admit, 9mm is considerably less expensive ammo.

I am one of those that voted M&P because I can can shoot them better. They are just way more comfortable to me.

jkchan83
08-09-2009, 4:07 PM
They are both great guns, but I think that the lower recoil from the 9mm will be better for competition.

Then again, it depends on whichever gun you shoot better. Do you really shoot both exactly the same? Is one more comfortable in your hand? Can you shoot one more with less fatigue? Competition means practice means lots of repetition. I can shoot 9mm a lot more comfortably than .40, so that's what I would use.

Z ME FLY
08-09-2009, 5:48 PM
Why not compare apples to apples and g17 to a m&p9? I would say go for G17 but go to the range and shoot them to see what feels better for you

hybridatsun350
08-09-2009, 7:32 PM
Why not compare apples to apples and g17 to a m&p9? I would say go for G17 but go to the range and shoot them to see what feels better for you

Because he owns a Glock 17 and an M&P .40, and he needs to decide which one to use for competition.

Z ME FLY
08-09-2009, 8:16 PM
Because he owns a Glock 17 and an M&P .40, and he needs to decide which one to use for competition.

Oh must have missed that part. I would say which one do you shoot better with? I like the glock because many use it for comps already.

rivviepop
08-09-2009, 8:25 PM
The G17 is the only choice if you want to be competitive -- it's Production in USPSA and SSP in IDPA, both which have no "major" scoring advantage so everyone shoots a 9mm (the 40 shooters hand load to very low velocity, there are a few). A .40 cal makes no (mathematical competitive) sense based on the way the games are scored, you're actually putting yourself at a disadvantage by using it. If you shot Limited-10 with it (yeah good luck with that with this M&P) would be the only category to regain the scoring advantage. Pure math, 9mm wins.

pottymouth310
08-09-2009, 9:58 PM
Wow, w/all the great responce for the Glock your making me feel bad for buying the M&P...:confused:

locosway
08-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Wow, w/all the great responce for the Glock your making me feel bad for buying the M&P...:confused:

For competition purposes the Glock fits the bill. The M&P is a fine pistol, it just doesn't have the following yet for competition.

I must say though, if I was going for a competition model I'd just get the G34.

Voo
08-09-2009, 11:41 PM
wow.. lots of competitive shooters it seems.. Where do you guys normally shoot?

Doheny
08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
How snappy is the M&P compared to the G17? If it's much snappier, it may be easier to get the Glock back on target.

Black Majik
08-09-2009, 11:49 PM
How snappy is the M&P compared to the G17? If it's much snappier, it may be easier to get the Glock back on target.

I may be out of my mind, but in the same caliber I feel the M&P has noticeably less recoil than the Glock.

ALCO HK
08-09-2009, 11:58 PM
glock for reliability and cheaper to shoot.

SuperSet
08-10-2009, 12:27 AM
This must be a regional thing because I saw M&Ps out the wazoo out on the East Coast (Virginia) And to match the name, most of the guys shooting it were MIL or LE.

locosway
08-10-2009, 6:55 AM
This must be a regional thing because I saw M&Ps out the wazoo out on the East Coast (Virginia) And to match the name, most of the guys shooting it were MIL or LE.

I think they buy it for the name, M&P.

pottymouth310
08-10-2009, 7:30 AM
At the last Magpul Dynamics class up in Sac Chris Costa of Magpul was rocking a M&P. He use to run with a Glock for many years.

Voo: I mostly shoot @ Raahauges.
Doheny: .40 feels snappier than 9 & even .45 to me.

rivviepop
08-10-2009, 2:58 PM

Not at all the intention, the issue is that you've got one in 9mm and one in .40 which, for the purposes of competing in USPSA/IDPA, have no real comparison with these guns. If you had a M&P 9mm then there'd be a "gun to gun" debate going on since they're both in the same field; due to the gun + calibers listed the better option for this purpose is the Glock.

Lancear15
08-10-2009, 3:19 PM
+1 to glock

Legasat
08-10-2009, 4:20 PM
A fairer question would have been "Should I shoot my 9mm or .40?"

I think most would agree that for competition, a 9mm is probably a better choice (easier recoil, easier to manage, less money). Since they are in the same class, no advantage or extra points for the .40.

Since you have a Glock 9mm, and an M&P .40, your choice seems clear.

If it was Glock vs. M&P both in 9mm, it would have been a simple question; Which one do I shoot better? Or, just death-match ;)