PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with my "gangsta" gun

Stamatos
08-08-2009, 2:02 PM
Hi folks, I'm sure this has been asked a bunch and I've tried to look but threads that looked helpful also looked old. so here goes;
I have a Kimel AP-9 from ye olden days of legal weapons in CA ('91). I never had it destroyed or traded it in but I jsut don't want to deal with the headache of making it single shot and fixing the magazine or whatever. Is there a place I can legally sell this? Not sure if FFL's can buy these without a Class III or whatever. Any help would be appreciated, I guess I'm even willing to make it reversibly legal for the sake of sale if it won't cost me more than I'd make back.
cheers

Quiet
08-08-2009, 2:05 PM
Did you register the Kimel AP9 as an assault weapon with CA DOJ before 01-01-2000?

The answer determines your legal course of action.

NotEnoughGuns
08-08-2009, 5:04 PM
I would think you could sell it out of state.

Stamatos
08-09-2009, 11:57 AM
haha, thanks X but I doubt that's legal.
"Quiet", I missed that deadline as I was in school during that time and honestly didn't even know about it until too late. So I'm pretty sure I'm up **** creek unless anyone has any ideas, I guess.

Quiet
08-09-2009, 2:31 PM
haha, thanks X but I doubt that's legal.
"Quiet", I missed that deadline as I was in school during that time and honestly didn't even know about it until too late. So I'm pretty sure I'm up **** creek unless anyone has any ideas, I guess.

Since, you have an unregistered assault weapon. You are limited in what you can do. But, since it is "off-list", you are not totally hosed.

Since, it is an unregistered assault weapon, no CA FFL dealer will deal with you and possession of it is a felony.

So...
Immediately, dissassemble the Kimel AP9 and keep it as parts.

To render it as a non-assault weapon, you will need to make the pistol into a 10 round or less fixed magazine semi-auto pistol.

Easiest way to do so, would be to insert a 10 round magazine and cut off the magazine release, so that you can no longer operate the magazine release unless you use a tool.
If you don't want to cut off the magazine release, keep it dissassembled as parts, until you can fabricate a magazine lock for the AP9.

Contact PRK Arms (http://www.prkarms.org/) in Fresno for assistance/information on how to render it CA legal. PRK Arms has sold a CA legal Kimel AP9 in the past. So, you should ask them how they went about making a magazine lock for it.

As a fixed magazine semi-auto pistol, it will no longer be considered an assault weapon. However, you are limited to 10 round magazines. Using large capacity magazines in it, will make it an assault weapon again.

Summary...
Only legal options are modify it so it is no longer considered an assault weapon or contact/retain a lawyer, who will turn it in to LE to be destroyed in lieu of being charged with a felony.

Penal Code 12276.1
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

thedrickel
08-09-2009, 2:49 PM
Chop the mag release.
Block a mag down to 10rd.
List for sale on CGN.
Profit.

Stamatos
08-09-2009, 5:14 PM
Thank you, Quiet, this helped a lot, I'll get a hold of PRK and take that pistol down to parts tonight.

gpr
09-10-2009, 11:32 AM
i will buy it....take off the upper, remove the safty, take out the trigger pack, knock out the pin for the mag catch/spring.....take a hammer to the serialed numbered lower....pm me for offer...gpr

jarhead995
10-24-2009, 8:46 PM
you convert and sell to meee!

Noobert
10-25-2009, 7:32 PM
you convert and sell to meee!

14 tries to buy a gun...