PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Kimber Pro springs.

Exposed
08-08-2009, 2:23 PM
I have a new Kimber pro, and I love it, but the recoil spring feels kinda weak and as I mostly shoot reloads, I get problems with feeding. I believe it comes stock with 14lb springs and I noticed I could buy some 22lb springs on the Kimber web site. Anyone know if these springs are better than the one I have and if it will fix the feeding problem?

B Strong
08-08-2009, 2:49 PM
Join the club.

Mine's never gone more than 80 rounds w/o a failure to feed, and that was after putting in a 22lb recoil spring - the trip back to Kimber for repair did nothing.

Go ahead and install the 22lber, it can't hurt and may help.

Putting the spring in was a core though, with that captured recoil system.

I have a new Kimber pro, and I love it, but the recoil spring feels kinda weak and as I mostly shoot reloads, I get problems with feeding. I believe it comes stock with 14lb springs and I noticed I could buy some 22lb springs on the Kimber web site. Anyone know if these springs are better than the one I have and if it will fix the feeding problem?

DarkHorse
08-08-2009, 5:06 PM

You have a 9mm, correct? All of the .45ACP Pro models come with a 22lb. recoil spring, and only the 9mm comes with a 14 lb. spring from the factory.

Do you get Failure to Extract/Eject, or Failure to Feed?

I have 2 Kimbers (a full-size and a Compact), and have yet to have any feed problems related to the recoil spring. All of mine were related to cheapo mags.

Unless you're shooting full-power 9mm+p reloads, a 22-lb. spring might be too strong. How old is the current spring? Maybe just needs routine replacement.

Try out Wolff gunsprings - http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

ETA: Here's what I do to swap springs on the full-length guide rod, and mine is a .45 w/the 22 lb. spring:
1) Disassemble gun like normal, using provided wire to capture guide rod spring, and remove from slide, along with barrel.
2) After barrel is removed, reinstall guide rod into slide, and install slide onto frame.
3) While pressing the slide to the rear, remove the wire capturing the reoilc spring, and slowly let slide ride forward.
4) Remove slide from frame, and spring will now be released from guide rod, and replaced easily.
5) Installation is reverse of removal.

Hope that is helpful.

BlackDrop50
08-08-2009, 6:13 PM
How new is the gun? How many rounds are on it?

Exposed
08-08-2009, 7:48 PM
Its very new. Only had it for about 6 months. Round count is about 300 rounds Its a .45acp and I was told the new kimbers have 14lb springs and stock kimbers should be replaced with at least 18lb springs. I use wilson combat mags. I have been pointed to that wolff spring site before and told they have great springs. Just thought the kimber 22lb might be better. Not sure what to do here, but I do know that the failure to properly chamber a round is a reliability issue I'm not happy with and I'm pretty sure it is beating up my slide as well.

BlackDrop50
08-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Owners manual says to shoot 400-600 rounds cleaning every...200-250 rounds?(not sure).

My Kimber and many others have the same problem during break in, but only during break in. Mine is around 4000 rounds with no failures AFTER break in. 400-600 rounds.

Keep shooting it, then see if it still has a problem.

If you call Kimber this is what they are going to tell you too. They will also give you some crap about using only new American made ammo but its BS, it should feed any .45acp

cmace22
08-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Owners manual says to shoot 400-600 rounds cleaning every...200-250 rounds?(not sure).

My Kimber and many others have the same problem during break in, but only during break in. Mine is around 4000 rounds with no failures AFTER break in. 400-600 rounds.

Keep shooting it, then see if it still has a problem.

If you call Kimber this is what they are going to tell you too. They will also give you some crap about using only new American made ammo but its BS, it should feed any .45acp

+1

My kimber had some problems in the first few hundred rounds. After that Im going on 2k without a malfunction.

Put at least 500 on it before you start changing stuff.

BlackDrop50
08-09-2009, 9:02 AM
On another note,

I had nothing but problems with my wilson 47D old style mag. Lots of FTF and hold open before last round. I really don't recommend using those in a Kimber. The KimPro TacMags are about the same price or cheaper and I have had no problems with a few of those.

Maybe if you have an Wilson ETM it may be different.

Kruzr
08-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Its very new. Only had it for about 6 months. Round count is about 300 rounds Its a .45acp and I was told the new kimbers have 14lb springs and stock kimbers should be replaced with at least 18lb springs. I use wilson combat mags. I have been pointed to that wolff spring site before and told they have great springs. Just thought the kimber 22lb might be better. Not sure what to do here, but I do know that the failure to properly chamber a round is a reliability issue I'm not happy with and I'm pretty sure it is beating up my slide as well.

Where does this FUD come from? A stock factory spring in a Kimber Pro size .45 is a 22# full diameter Officer's spring. That is what comes in your gun and what the manual says to replace every 800 rounds. Wolff makes a special spring for the 4" Kimbers that is a little stronger and lasts much longer than the factory recommended spring. The Wolff spring goes about 1500 rounds or a little more before you need to replace it. Order a few of the Wolff XP springs (look lower on the order page than the listing for the Officer's springs) and give them a try before you do anything else to the gun.

B Strong
08-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Replace your mag springs and maybe the followers - Wilson mags are 100% feeders in anything I've put them into, from rattletrap to custom - you just have to make sure that the springs are good, and the followers aren't worn - run 1200 rounds or so a month through them and they wear pretty fast - I replace mine every two months.

On another note,

I had nothing but problems with my wilson 47D old style mag. Lots of FTF and hold open before last round. I really don't recommend using those in a Kimber. The KimPro TacMags are about the same price or cheaper and I have had no problems with a few of those.

Maybe if you have an Wilson ETM it may be different.

Exposed
08-09-2009, 2:25 PM
Where does this FUD come from? A stock factory spring in a Kimber Pro size .45 is a 22# full diameter Officer's spring. That is what comes in your gun and what the manual says to replace every 800 rounds. Wolff makes a special spring for the 4" Kimbers that is a little stronger and lasts much longer than the factory recommended spring. The Wolff spring goes about 1500 rounds or a little more before you need to replace it. Order a few of the Wolff XP springs (look lower on the order page than the listing for the Officer's springs) and give them a try before you do anything else to the gun.

Thank your for this 411. ;)