PDA

View Full Version : M1A gunsmith in bay area

Mugwump
03-29-2005, 7:59 PM
I looked through the archives and didn't find one, any referrals for a local smith in the south bay?

I need to have the bolt roller replaced, seems pretty simple to do if you have the right tools, but I don't.

Mugwump
03-29-2005, 7:59 PM
I looked through the archives and didn't find one, any referrals for a local smith in the south bay?

I need to have the bolt roller replaced, seems pretty simple to do if you have the right tools, but I don't.

trever1t
03-30-2005, 4:17 AM
I also am looking for a reputable smitty. Have not been impressed by the two i've met so far.

Aren't there any old world craftsmen anymore?

bwiese
03-30-2005, 7:26 AM
Probably not.

The high cost of living & doing biz in Bay Area along w/relatively low "gunnie" population means that most smith work around here is gonna be scope mounting, maybe some drop in stuff for 1911s & revolvers...

Better ship it out...

Bill W
San Jose

Yute
03-30-2005, 10:40 AM
I have heard that Frank Tabor is a good m1a gunsmith - anyone have any first hand experience with him?

bwiese
03-30-2005, 11:57 AM
From what I've heard Frank's a good smith on guns generally. He could prob work on M1As if something standard.

If an M1A required significant rework, rebarreling, etc. I'd send it back to Fulton, etc.

Perhaps though MugWump's problem is simple enough - he just needs to bring the bolt in, I take it...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Mugwump
03-30-2005, 2:49 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty simple fix, you just have to have the correct tool which is a special plier for the bolt roller clip. The peg the bolt roller sits on has a groove in it for the clip, I'm assuming the pliers holds this clip in place as you slide the bolt roller on. Once you slide the roller on, the clip expands to hold the bolt roller in place.

I fiddled with it for a while, but because there is so little clearance between the clip and the roller, it seems impossible.

imported_QuarterBoreGunner
04-01-2005, 6:13 PM
Frank has cleaned up some triggers for me on revolvers and did an excellent job on slicking up a Marlin Cowboy .22 lever action. He shoots SASS so he's pretty good on the cowboy stuff.

icormba
04-03-2005, 4:03 PM
these days it really pays to be your own smith.

tleary
04-04-2005, 8:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yute85:
I have heard that Frank Tabor is a good m1a gunsmith - anyone have any first hand experience with him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had him re-barrel my receiver and re-park the whole thing. I was very happy with his work.