PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have problems with Sig factory 10rnders?

:-)
08-07-2009, 4:46 PM
Got two Sig factory P229/P228 magazines in 9mm.

Nearly brand new.

How come my 10th rnd is so difficult to load but a sig factory 10rnd (likely Mec-Gar, had the channels) P226 mag had no such issue? I look in the last hole in the bottom and the mag spring is twisted to kingdom come. Took it apart and nothing unusual. Could it be that a 13rnd mag spring is in place of a 10rnd spring?

Also, it's "pinching" the nickel-plated brass of the GDHP +P I loaded with it. It's not a serious dent, more like a light dimple. Shoot or no shoot? I think not shoot, aint worth blowing up my P228 with mega-hotterized +P.

POLICESTATE
08-07-2009, 4:52 PM
I have several Sig factory 10 rounders, so far I have not had a problem with any of them and I've had them for 8 years. The 10th round was a little tough to load for me for a long time and I used an EZ loader thing but over the last few years I never seem to need it. It's a little tough to get that 10th in but it's not bad. Last time I went shooting I reloaded the mag 10 times and it was working okay.

The mag spring issue you refer to, I need to look at mine again but I remember when I was cleaning it that it seemed a little weird to me in some way but I didn't know what. It didn't seem twisted but I just had this thought I was going to have trouble putting everything back together but it all worked out fine.

I haven't noticed any pinching on any of my ammo, I target shoot regular loads but I also pop off a few ProLoad +P's once in awhile and everything works great.

If you concerns about your mag I would talk Sig about it, with mass production there are always going to be quality concerns, even with Sig.

08-07-2009, 5:14 PM
Grrr this POS just damaged two more rounds.

Also having mag nosedive problems. It's not nosediving into the feedramp, but in the mag body itself.

POLICESTATE
08-07-2009, 5:17 PM
Yeah those are definately bad bad bad. See if Sig will replace for you, when I ordered my extras 8 years ago I got 5 and they were all 100% good. Maybe these were Monday/Friday mags

08-07-2009, 5:25 PM
LOL monday/friday mags.

I'll give 'em a hoot Monday Morning (probably a bad time to call by default).

Oh and those two more rounds? they got damaged just by 8rnds loaded. (downloaded 2).

dchang0
08-07-2009, 7:34 PM
Yeah, I'm still having trouble loading the 10th round into my factory Sig P229 10rnd mags, and they're pretty old. They've always been hard to load--I often just load 9 and leave it at that.

No nosedives, though. Not sure what causes that.

Has anyone experimented by replacing or cutting down the spring in a 10rnd mag? Can we do anything about this?

thefurball
08-07-2009, 8:09 PM
I have factory Sig 10s and 15s in 9mm.

No problem ever that I can recall.

corbina
08-07-2009, 8:50 PM
I've got a 10rnd mags for the 220 and 229. No problems. As others have said, the 10th round does take a little more effort.

On the nose-dive, are you springs put in correctly (i.e. high end of the spring goes to the front of the follower)? If the spring is turned around the follower won't be supported by the spring correctly. It may not be your issue but I thought I'd just post it to be sure.

MiguelS
08-07-2009, 9:16 PM
I use a speedloader. :)

ontmark
08-07-2009, 9:26 PM
I don’t know about the 228/229.
I had a very hard time loading the tenth round of 40S&W in my 226 10 round mags. I replaced the follower with the follower for the twelve round mag and this solved the pain. I now have room for about 10 and a half rounds in them mags.

CRTguns
08-07-2009, 9:56 PM
just the opposite... My P228 mags take 10 easy- my 226 mags requireded a coil to be removed from the spring to get 10 in- and that's just barely.

shoupdawg
08-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Only time I had an issue was when I broke down the mags to clean them and put the springs back incorrectly. I broke it down once again and put the spring the opposite way...problem solved.

08-08-2009, 4:16 AM
I have factory Sig 10s and 15s in 9mm.

No problem ever that I can recall.

Could you do me a favor and strip both the 10s and the 15s (lucky you) and measure the spring lengths?

I donít know about the 228/229.
I had a very hard time loading the tenth round of 40S&W in my 226 10 round mags. I replaced the follower with the follower for the twelve round mag and this solved the pain. I now have room for about 10 and a half rounds in them mags.

Could you do me a favor, if you could, show us the difference in the followers?

I might consider a spring snip. Might.

hoffman259
08-08-2009, 9:11 AM
My brand new ones were like this. I put in 10 rounds let it sit a couple of weeks full and havent had a problem since. I never had a round get damaged though.

Hippo
08-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I had the same problem with my new P226 mags. After I gave them a very thorough cleaning and let them rest with 10 rounds a piece they softened up quite nicely.

BigDogatPlay
08-08-2009, 9:02 PM
Haven't had an issue yet with the OEM 10 round .40 cal mags I bought a couple of years ago for my P226. They get a bit tight at the last couple of rounds, but I've not noticed any issues with spring kinking as noted above. The original 12 rounders that came with the piece when I bought it new as a LEO were a little tight at first on the last round, but they're okay now.

I've also got a factory ten rounder in 9mm for my P239 and so far no problems with tightness, nosediving or damage.

Sheepdog1968
08-09-2009, 2:32 PM
one trick I've heard, keeping all safety in mind, is to leave them loaded for like a month and that will help ease up the springs. Could use snap caps if u don't want a loaded mag laying around. Also the Uplula is bar none the best loading device. Makes the 10th round much easier to load. I also can't help wonder if manufacturers are so paranoid that the mag might hold 11 rounds that they over engineer them to make sure only five just fits.

walter
08-09-2009, 5:14 PM
That why I love the loader that glocks come with. I always use it! It's worth $5 to me

yzernie
08-10-2009, 6:34 AM
Have you had the mags apart to clean them? If so, and this is just a thought, is the spring in the mag correctly? It sounds to me that the spring/follower are not properly lined up. I would vote against trimming the spring to a shorter length.