PDA

View Full Version : CCI 9mm shotshells. Effective range?

Untamed1972
08-07-2009, 1:23 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used these and what the effective range on them would be for taking down small game or playing "whack-a-mole" with the gophers in my yard when they pop their heads up?

http://www.northwestshootersupply.com/cci9mmshotshells10rds.aspx

Tragic Image
08-07-2009, 3:05 PM
I'd be afraid of messing up my barrell.

HkFan416
08-08-2009, 4:37 AM
I was wondering the same thing, and if it actually cycles in a semi...

hybridatsun350
08-08-2009, 6:41 AM
The effective range on my .22 Mag shotshells out of my 6" Single Six is probably 5 yards MAXIMUM. The 9mm may be a little better though.

I'd be afraid of messing up my barrell.

Why would they mess up your barrel? They probably cause less wear than a jacketed bullet.

Spyder
08-08-2009, 7:22 AM
It won't hurt your barrel. I've shot birds with them out of a 22 at about 5-7 yards. The 9mm does NOT cycle in my old worn out Sig with a weak spring. I can't say how it'll do in any others. Range on them is a little better but not much. I'd be surprised if you could kill a gopher at 10 yards. When you shoot, don't aim right at them either. The rifling will make the pellets spin and leave a funny pattern with few or no pellets in the center of a ring.

Pattern 'em on paper and see!

J-cat
08-08-2009, 7:49 AM
These rounds will not mess-up your barrel.

Ishoot
08-08-2009, 9:37 AM
I've always wondered if these would work for small game. But since a shotgun really does the job much better with less hassle, I've never had the urge to try. Interesting to see the pattern though.

Untamed1972
08-08-2009, 9:56 AM
I thought they might be a good thing have a few in your BOB so that if you hadda start walkin' and all you had with you was a pistol you'd have a means to take some small game/birds for eating.

But I also thought they might work for gophers. I smacked them with a shovel before so I can get pretty close to them, 1-2yrds most of the time if I see them poppin' up.

My neighbor does it with a little 22 revolver with snakeloads in it.

BlackViper
08-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Shot shells are really best used for snakes, no?

MILLITIAof1
08-08-2009, 11:28 AM
for gophers I recommend c4.

Untamed1972
08-08-2009, 3:38 PM
for gophers I recommend c4.

I'm about ready to do that! LOL

The best success I've had seems to be flushing them ouut with a hose and smackin' them with a shovel. But I have a couple of foxes that live in my neighborhood and I think they do a better job at controlling the gophers than I do. They're pretty cool too.....I've been as close as 15-20 away from them a couple of times.

dw1784
08-08-2009, 5:37 PM
As tested in Handgun magazine, out of a G17 at 20ft, it printed a pattern 32in across.

Shooting at a pine board at the same distance of 20ft, the center has the deepest penetration of 1/4in while the outer portion of the 32in diameter pattern only show signs of indentation by the #11 shot pellets.

effective range? not at 20ft that's for sure:)

bombadillo
08-10-2009, 7:47 AM
Why use shot shells, just take a .22 and pop the little gopher in the face.

Spyder
08-10-2009, 9:31 AM
haha, for gophers NOTHING works better than a waterproof flare. Shove it, flame down, into the hole and cover it up. Smoke'll choke em out in a jiffy!

Your neighbors'll think you're crazy too. I ran around the front yard with road flares and a beer one day and got the strangest looks!

Untamed1972
08-10-2009, 11:03 AM
haha, for gophers NOTHING works better than a waterproof flare. Shove it, flame down, into the hole and cover it up. Smoke'll choke em out in a jiffy!

Your neighbors'll think you're crazy too. I ran around the front yard with road flares and a beer one day and got the strangest looks!

I've done that too.....just did this weekend actually. It does seem to have some effect. Will sometimes stick the hose down the hole real quick just to make sure it's a clear hole and then stick the flare in.

It's hard with gophers though, unless you flush them out and smack them, the only evidence you have if something is working or not is that lack of new gopher mounds.