PDA

View Full Version : Sig pistols & largest # rounds you've put through between cleans

Sheepdog1968
08-07-2009, 1:06 PM
I'm just curious on the largest number of rounds you have put through your Sig between cleanings and still had it operate fine, lubing in between cleanings is o.k.. I know they are reliable (as most modern pistols are) so I'm just curious if anyone has tried to push it to the limits. Looking forward to your replies.

Black Majik
08-07-2009, 1:13 PM
Honestly, my German stamped slide P226 has endured through many range trips without cleaning. It is my MOST RELIABLE handgun I own bar none, never jammed.

Voo detailed stripped it once for me, I don't think I ever seen someone roll their eyes as much as he did when he saw the insides. It has always been properly lubed though.

That gun is my energizer bunny of my collection.

trickyvic
08-07-2009, 1:33 PM
The most round without cleaning for my stamped 226 is probably 1,500 to 2k.

Sky_DiveR
08-07-2009, 2:52 PM
You're supposed to clean 'em?? :eek:

cineski
08-07-2009, 3:12 PM
So funny. I clean after every range trip. Squeaky clean.

POLICESTATE
08-07-2009, 3:14 PM
I always clean my P228 because I love it so much and I want to make sure it's always well cared for, so probably only a few hundred rounds? That's one range trip.

Spyder
08-07-2009, 4:16 PM
Ha...most folks don't believe me but because of what happened to my Sig P226 in 9mm, I'll trust it with my life ANY day.

Was under the seat of the truck, truck went over a cliff into a big irrigation canal. I was riding passenger, truck was sinking, I climbed out through the window. Ditch was full of cow manure-ey water, swam out, hitchiked home. Tow truck dug it out for us the next morning, the pistol I unloaded, ran a hose over it to get the smell off and decided what the hell, let's see what she can do. Shot the hell out of it, thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds later, every weekend for almost a year, and never once had a malfunction. I finally got around to cleaning it after never doing more than shooting it and throwing it in the bottom of the safe. It's an old W. German low serial two tone 226 that I bought from a Sheriff in Georgia.

Love that gun, would never get rid of it or doubt it...

ScottB
08-07-2009, 4:27 PM
When I was a kid, there was this old guy at the club with a big range box full of some serious ordinance and he knew how to shoot it. He was always there. He used to see me cleaning my guns after every session and told "you'll wear a gun out faster by cleaning it than by shooting it"

Sheepdog1968
08-07-2009, 5:23 PM
FWITW, most of my cleans involve just using those Rem Oil Wipes. One of those toweletts good to clean the whole thing and it's very quick.

Voo
08-07-2009, 5:51 PM
Honestly, my German stamped slide P226 has endured through many range trips without cleaning. It is my MOST RELIABLE handgun I own bar none, never jammed.

Voo detailed stripped it once for me, I don't think I ever seen someone roll their eyes as much as he did when he saw the insides. It has always been properly lubed though.

That gun is my energizer bunny of my collection.

hahah i remember that.. good lordie there was a lot of crud.. You were using that for the classes and USPSA.. crazy how nasty it was..

I use to clean my p226 pretty regularly but at some point it got labeled "beater". I did some experimenting to see how long I could go without cleaning it. I broke down after about 1500 rounds or so and cleaned it.. It kept running and running but I didnt have the heart to keep shooting it... It was bone dry at that point..

As others have similarly experienced, my P226 is uber-reliable. Although it's dirty and beat, the thing runs and runs and runs no matter what. Because of it's history, it's my go to gun.

dchang0
08-07-2009, 6:57 PM
Spyder's story is pretty good, but this one's got it beat.

Someone I knew inherited a P226 from her dad who passed away. She was afraid of the gun and buried it in her backyard, in the rose garden. Five years later, she dug it up and brought it to me to check. She didn't know if it was loaded or not and didn't want the neighborhood kids to accidentally hurt themselves if they found it.

It was so caked with soil that I couldn't pop the magazine or rack the slide. The gun was effectively "sealed up tight." I took the grips off first. It took a lot of rinsing and soaking the gun to get enough dirt out till when I could pop the magazine. Mind you, I didn't know if the gun was loaded or not.

The mag came out--it was empty. Still couldn't check the chamber without opening the slide. More soaking and rinsing... I scrubbed away at the insides as best I could from inside the magwell. Eventually, I could work the slide and wiggle it, and that finally broke everything loose. Could finally rack the slide and check the chamber. The barrel was stuffed with dirt, but there was no round in the chamber. (I sure as hell wasn't going to start cleaning out the barrel without knowing whether a round was in the chamber!)

Field stripped the sucker first, cleaned all the parts, then stripped it down to nuts and bolts. There was dirt in the most difficult to reach places. I am not sure how dirt can get into these spots when the gun is just buried--it's not like dirt is alive and can creep around inside a gun!

We put the gun together and take it to the range. IT'S A TACK DRIVER. Sucker was the most accurate handgun I'd ever shot. Needless to say, I rushed right out and bought myself a Sig.

tiko
08-07-2009, 9:57 PM
It is goofy but I got a friend who didn't know how to field trip his 239, he kept shooting for over a year (3k) until I cleaned it for him, no FTF!

HkFan416
08-08-2009, 5:39 AM
On my old sig, I would clean it every 1500 rounds.

Sheepdog1968
08-08-2009, 10:48 AM
These are some great stories. Please keep them comming.

liketoshoot
08-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Of all my Sigs, I usually clean them after each trip to the range, but my P6's like to run dirty. I have no idea why but they are more accurate this way and never have any problems up to and past 2,000 rounds.
I will lube the slides about every 1000 rounds but no other cleaning.

eldy
08-08-2009, 11:55 AM
i like to keep my 220 clean because i do a lot of dry firing practice. if i don't clean it i always end up with crud on my hands.

creampuff
08-08-2009, 12:11 PM
On my range CPO 226, I usually go about 600 rounds before I think about cleaning her. No problems of course.

Chach
08-08-2009, 11:48 PM
I will usually clean my Sigs after 2 or 3 range trips, and even then it's just a quick spray with Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner, a run through the barrel with a bore-snake and oil everything that needs to be. I've never had a single malfunction of any sorts in a Sig that was directly related to the quality of the gun itself, only a failure to feed when I was running some home made rounds that had a very light charge.

I did a torture test with my 220R carry and put ~2000 rounds through without cleaning or lubing at all, just an exterior wipe down to remove some soot at the barrel end (and even then it wasn't every range trip). Turned out I was the one being tortured because I couldn't stand the sight of the crud building up. I'm sure it would've lasted a few thousand more at least, and I will probably do another test with a real round count in the near future.

As others have said, I've also noticed they tend to be more accurate with a few rounds through them rather than squeaky clean.

Sheepdog1968
08-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Yea, I usually break down and clean it because it lloks really dirty rather than any functional problem.

mds2004
08-09-2009, 12:29 PM
This thread is making me want to shoot my old W. German 226. Havent shot in about a year if not more :(

trickyvic
08-09-2009, 1:54 PM
This thread is making me want to shoot my old W. German 226. Havent shot in about a year if not more :(

That's sad, shoot it! If not send it to me and I'll be happy to shoot it. Then I can have one for each hand:38:

Man, this thread is giving me the itch to buy another W. German 226 or maybe a 220 to be a big brother to my 226.

Sheepdog1968
08-09-2009, 2:36 PM
I loooooove my 220. Bar none my favorite handgun.

maxmiller
08-10-2009, 3:42 AM
Forgive me for being naive or ill-informed, but I thought one was supposed to clean a handgun after each time to the range.

Freagan
08-10-2009, 3:50 AM
I actually enjoy cleaning my guns after a trip to the range, ya I know I am weird but it's just a relaxing way to unwind after a long shoot. My p228 has been squeaky clean since the day I got it :)

Scratch705
08-10-2009, 4:31 AM
Forgive me for being naive or ill-informed, but I thought one was supposed to clean a handgun after each time to the range.

depends on the gun/user. some like to be clean, some can take being dirty. its the same with the ruger 10/22 or other .22lr rifles. some shoot it till it misfires before cleaning, others clean it after every outing (which i follow)

in the end, its your gun, your rules.

*no way responsible if you decide to not clean your gun, then have a freak accident b/c of buildup in chamber/barrel/bolt/firing pin and injure yourself*

Chach
08-10-2009, 2:49 PM
depends on the gun/user. some like to be clean, some can take being dirty. its the same with the ruger 10/22 or other .22lr rifles. some shoot it till it misfires before cleaning, others clean it after every outing (which i follow)

in the end, its your gun, your rules.

*no way responsible if you decide to not clean your gun, then have a freak accident b/c of buildup in chamber/barrel/bolt/firing pin and injure yourself*

Exactly. For me it depends on the # of rounds I send down range. As I said earlier, it's usually 2 - 3 range trips till a pistol gets a cleaning, but I usually take 3 or 4 pistols and shoot on avg 100 rds through each. Not that much in my mind. Now if I take 1 pistol and shoot 500 rds through it, I'll clean it before taking it out again. Same goes for my rifles, but with a lower rd count. 20 rds? No problem, maybe run a boresnake through. Closer to or more than 100, I'll scrub it till the patches run white.

Sheepdog1968
08-11-2009, 10:14 AM
If it's my nightstand one I typically clean it after each use (about half the time using those Rem Oil wipes as one does the whole pistol). For the others, I go much longer. FWIW I had one pistol (not a Sig) that I shot, put it away without cleaning it after 500 rounds and ended up waiting about 15 years before I wanted to shoot it again. Decided it might be prudent to inspect and clean it first. Everything looked fine on the inside - just the normal dirty look you would expect. No rust or pitting on any metal surfaces. Cleaned and lubed it and it shot just fine.