PDA

View Full Version : District 10 Voters

dixieD
08-07-2009, 9:25 AM
We are having an election September 1, and the only item on the ballot is US Representative for district 10. The field is huge.

Anthony Woods - Democrat
David Harmer - Republican
Adriel Hampton - Democrat
Gary Clift - Republican
Jeremy Cloward - Green
Mark Desaulnier - Democrat
Jerome Denham - American Independent
David Peterson - Republican
John Garamendi - Democrat
John Toth - Republican
Mary Mcilroy - Peace and Freedom
Mark Loos - Republican
Joan Buchanan - Democrat
Chris Bunch - Republican

Based on replies to email that I sent to Desaulnier, and Buchannan they are out. Garamendi is out. Unfortunately there are no libertarian candidates.

My question is what information do folks have regarding 2A position for the other viable candidates? Are any of the republicans viable, and what are their 2A positions?

I will do my own homework, but thought I would post this to see if there any information.

Fat_Rat
08-07-2009, 9:35 AM
We are having an election September 1, and the only item on the ballot is US Representative for district 10.

Speaking of district 10 you should olso check out district 9. :p

http://www.d-9.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSgLOvH_MMk

Legasat
08-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Speaking of district 10 you should olso check out district 9. :p

http://www.d-9.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSgLOvH_MMk

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

hvengel
08-07-2009, 4:13 PM
We are having an election September 1, and the only item on the ballot is US Representative for district 10. The field is huge.

Anthony Woods - Democrat
David Harmer - Republican
Adriel Hampton - Democrat
Gary Clift - Republican
Jeremy Cloward - Green
Mark Desaulnier - Democrat
David Peterson - Republican
John Garamendi - Democrat
John Toth - Republican
Mary Mcilroy - Peace and Freedom
Mark Loos - Republican
Joan Buchanan - Democrat
Chris Bunch - Republican

Based on replies to email that I sent to Desaulnier, and Buchannan they are out. Garamendi is out. Unfortunately there are no libertarian candidates.

My question is what information do folks have regarding 2A position for the other viable candidates? Are any of the republicans viable, and what are their 2A positions?

I will do my own homework, but thought I would post this to see if there any information.

Harmer has the party endorsement but I don't know if that really means anything other than perhaps he has raised more money than the other R's and was endorsed because that made him more viable.

Sept. 1 is an open primary and assuming that no one gets an out right majority there will be a run off in Nov. A runoff is highly likely. If there is a runoff one candidate from each party will advance to the run off election. So there is no reason to vote for one of the third party candidates unless one of them stands a change of winning the primary out right and is on our side since they will all be in the Nov. runoff election even if they don't get a single vote. My concern is doing what we can to get the most pro-gun/least anti-gun candidates on the Nov. ballet and we can only influence which major party candidates are selected in Sept.

I have had dealings with Desaulnier and he is a snake in the grass. I would not vote for him to be dog catcher.

John Garamendi is the Lt. Governor. His web site does not say anything about gun control but it appears that he has an anti record. He is currently leading in the polls but this could change and his numbers are weak considering his name recognition.

I don't know anything else about any of the other candidates. But I would like to know more.

dfletcher
08-07-2009, 5:43 PM
The most recent NRA rating I saw for Garamendi was an F. He runs adverts showing him on a ranch, being an outdoorsy type, but whatever he's had the opportunity to vote it's evidently got him a very low mark.

berto
08-07-2009, 6:59 PM
Congressional Quarterly considers our district a safe dem district. We're pretty screwed no matter which dem ends up winning.

Paladin
08-07-2009, 10:24 PM

. . .

. . .

Unfortunately there are no libertarian candidates.

I will do my own homework, but thought I would post this to see if there any information.Jerry Denham's website is at:
http://freedomcoalition.com/

While not Libertarian, American Independent party is the CA affiliate of the Constitution Party (http://www.constitutionparty.com/). So he's VERY pro-2nd A RKBA and pro a lot of other good stuff found in the US Con and anti a bunch of stuff that the fed govt is doing that is not in the US Con.

Jerry Denham has a lot of Ron Paul youtubes on his videos webpage (as well as a clip from Quigley Down Under :)): http://freedomcoalition.com/video.php

I LOVE the Glen Beck youtube on his homepage!

Denham seems pretty hard-core pro-2nd A RKBA. Maybe some CGN'er could invite him here to state whether he is pro-CCW, anti-AWB, etc.?

navyinrwanda
08-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Here's some interesting information on the 10th Congressional District special election from the Fox & Hounds (http://foxandhoundsdaily.com/blog/judy-lloyd/who-watch-cd-10-special-election) blog. The Republican candidate, David Harmer, apparently has a chance of winning. And he's very pro-RKBA (see next post).

The current front-runner, John Garamendi, is about as anti-RKBA as anyone they come.

Who to Watch in the CD-10 Special Election
By Judy Lloyd, Co-owner of Altamont Solutions
Fri, August 7th, 2009

A long left to right airplane ride from California to New York State gave me time to research more fully the FEC reports and e-campaigns from the 14 candidates in the Special Election for Ellen Tauscher’s seat in Congressional District 10. Here’s what I’ve seen in print and on the ground –

Lt. Gov. John Garamendi – Declared the “frontrunner” due to his statewide pedigree – nobody has seen the guy in CD-10 in the last few weeks. He raised $300,000 in the latest filing and had $260,000 COH. His most interesting donor is former “St. Elsewhere” Actor and now political activist Ed Begley, Jr.

At a recent Innovation Summit in Livermore, Garamendi was questioned after his luncheon speech about what he would do to increase innovation beyond increasing government funding. He really had no clear answer beyond spending more money however his name ID might just carry him to the run-off.

State Sen. Mark DeSaulnier – Mark is Contra Costa’s favorite son. The turncoat Republican to Democrat has pivoted two and fro for years with great success. He’s currently touting his stance on single payer health care and even spent money on a costly mailer to taxpayers giving them tips on healthy living.

DeSaulnier backers include former CD-10 Congresswoman Ellen Tauscher. Forget the bogus Hatch Act charge; it is irrelevant and she supported him both in name and with a sizable financial contribution prior to taking office at the State Department. Supervisors Susan Bonilla and Federal Glover, Congressman George Miller, State Sens. Tom Torlakson and Loni Hancock join major Contra Costa and Alameda County personalities David Bowlby, Bruce Cain (the UC Berkeley professor), Tomi Van de Brooke, Angie Coffee, and Jim Ghielmetti in support. Commercial developers hosted events for DeSaulnier and his backers include power brokers Sil Garvaventa, Alex Mehran and Albert Seeno. Labor Unions like the UFCW, CA Carpenters, Boilermakers, Machinists, and Sheet Metal Workers are on board. DeSaulnier’s $212,000 raised and $260,000 COH coupled with his widespread district support makes him the real frontrunner.

Assembly woman Joan Buchanan – Not “one of the boys”, Buchanan, the only female in the field, boasts an endorsement from former Superintendent of Schools Delaine Easton and financial support from beloved Democrat leader Marry Warren. Other than those two, she has shown less in endorsements and financial backing – raising $64,000 ($12,000 from her kids) and adding a $250,000 personal loan.

Buchanan still holds the “Don’t Count Her Out” card because Democrat voters love female candidates. She stands a great chance though word in the media is that Assembly Speaker Karen Bass isn’t exactly thrilled with her flying the Sacramento coop in the targeted 15th AD to run for Congress after only 118 days in office. Buchanan is waging an impressive district precinct campaign including an aggressive sign campaign as evidenced by her campaign manager’s aggressive photo op in a recent e-alert.

Side note: Should Buchanan lose on September 1st, she’s still positioned well to run for State Senate if DeSaulnier is the victor. If she’s forced to run again in AD 15, she will face a much more serious challenge by Mayor Abram Wilson whose strong financial showing ($56,400 raised in 28 days from 105 in-district donors) beat Buchanan’s numbers ($43,800 raised from January to June from 35 Sacramento special interests). Go to www.ss.ca.gov for state reports filings.

Anthony Woods – Without a doubt the most interesting Democrat, Woods is African American and like almost all the Democrat candidates, favors repealing “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell”. Woods completed two tours of service in Iraq and has done well with Act Blue donors raising $105,000 with an amazing number of donors. His media appearances demonstrate national interest in his candidacy.

Ariel Hampton – he supports parental school choice – that stuck out for me as someone who also supported that when I ran for Assembly. But Hampton’s unimpressive $22,500 raised and $300 COH probably eliminates him.

David Harmer – Fresh off the California Republican Party’s endorsement this week, Harmer will be the top-vote getter among Republicans on September 1st. He raised an impressive $175,000 and had $145,000 COH. I’d love to see Harmer get 50% + 1 so we can avoid the runoff and send a real fiscal conservative to Congress but that is unlikely and the numbers could be insurmountable in the Nov. 3rd runoff with Democrats holding a nearly 19-point advantage. Still, Harmer is doing everything right. If the sun, moon, and stars are in direct alignment and the Obama health care “prescription” continues to draw big anti-tax crowds, Harmer could squeak by. If you believe in miracles – Harmer’s your guy.

Gary Clift – got the Republican Liberty Caucus of California endorsement this week (which begs the question, who’s the Republican Liberty Caucus?)

Nothing significant to report on the other candidates running and right now, DeSaulnier and Harmer look best positioned as the (D) and (R) vote getters on September 1st. Stay tuned.

navyinrwanda
08-07-2009, 11:39 PM
David Harmer is running in the upcoming special election in the 10th Congressional District to replace Ellen Tauscher. He is by far the most pro-gun rights candidate in this race. And his position on the Second Amendment is not a new one: read this (http://saf.org/LawReviews/HarmerBYU.htm) law review article that he wrote in 1998 for the Brigham Young Law Review. Here's just a flavor of what he wrote over 10 years ago:

The Supreme Court has never specifically defined the right to keep and bear arms, but the overwhelming majority of legal scholarship on the Second Amendment agrees on the nature and meaning of the right. It is an individual right, not a collective right or a right of the states. The right applies generally, not just to those who serve in the armed forces or militia. It applies to arms one can keep, in one's home or place of work, and bear, on one's person, by oneself. Although it has not yet been applied to the states through the Fourteenth Amendment, it was intended to, and should be, so applied. Proponents of gun control ignore these findings at the peril of other constitutional rights. Those who object to the individual right to keep and bear arms may properly seek to circumscribe or repeal the Second Amendment only through a new constitutional amendment. Judicial or statutory shortcuts to that end are dishonest and dangerous.

Although judicially neglected, the Second Amendment is profoundly important. Without the right to defend themselves, their families, their homes, their property, and their freedoms, citizens would have to look to the state for protection instead, trading away a significant element of their freedom for an illusory and unenforceable promise of security — a poor bargain indeed. The right to keep and bear arms contributes to securing a free state not only by deterring invasion or tyranny, but by fostering the vigorous virtues of independence, self-reliance, and vigilance — virtues that cultivate a love for, and a willingness to defend, not only the right to keep and bear arms, but also all the constitutionally guaranteed rights of the people.

Much contemporary political discourse assumes that those who favor a literal or expansive reading of the Second Amendment are either extremists or are pandering for the support of extremists.

In fact, the great weight of available evidence indicates that the Second Amendment means what it says, that its proponents are faithful to the original understanding of its framers, and that the purposes motivating its inclusion in the Bill of Rights remain valid.

dixieD
08-08-2009, 7:38 AM
Thanks for the information on Harmer. He seems to be the best for 2A.

Wizard99
08-08-2009, 8:00 PM
Harmer doesn't have any information on RKBA on his website www.harmerforcongress.com But I can understand why he wouldn't in this district. Even if all the Republicans in the 10th vote for him it will be tough for him to win with the overwellming number of Democrats in the district.

navyinrwanda
08-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Harmer doesn't have any information on RKBA on his website www.harmerforcongress.com But I can understand why he wouldn't in this district. Even if all the Republicans in the 10th vote for him it will be tough for him to win with the overwellming number of Democrats in the district.
The district does lean heavily Democratic, but there is a chance that Harmer could pull 50% + 1 and win without a run-off. This could happen if the left/liberal/Democratic voters split among the many candidates vying for their support, while the right/conservative/libertarian/Republican voters all (or most all) went for Harmer. It's not likely, but it's not impossible, either.

This could be a great opportunity for a Calguns grass-roots effort to make a real difference in California and national politics. Harmer is an accomplished appellate attorney, and something of a Second Amendment scholar. He might become the most articulate pro-RKBA representative in Congress.

But don't expect Harmer to say much about gun rights until after the election since it could be used against him in a potential run-off.

4x49er
08-09-2009, 5:31 AM
Just recieved sample ballot and voter info pamphlet. Dr. John Toth is only candidate that had the guts to mentioned support of the Bill of Rights (including the Second Amendment). Don't know anything else about him.

With about 3 weeks left to election we should do some more research and then quietly throw our support to one and try to get a win the first time out.

navyinrwanda
08-09-2009, 11:56 AM
With about 3 weeks left to election we should do some more research and then quietly throw our support to one and try to get a win the first time out.
That candidate is Harmer (http://saf.org/LawReviews/HarmerBYU.htm). Just Google (http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22david+harmer%22+%22second+amendment%22&btnG=Google+Search) "David Harmer" and "Second Amendment".

Don't expect him to come out strongly in favor of gun rights or the Second Amendment — that would make him radioactive to most of the 10th District's voters. This is how the game is played in California. We need to be smart and not fooled into wasting votes on fringe candidates.

CAGNR
08-09-2009, 12:29 PM
I asked Mr Clift for his platform on 1st and 2nd ammendment rights...his response...

Thank you for your interest in my campaign. I am concerned with the
administration asking people to forward emails from private citizens who
are spreading "disinformation" about the health care proposal; this is
concerning to me because I believe the federal government should not be
occupying itself with the private free speech of private citizens
(except of course in criminal cases where a warrant is involved).

No assault weapons ban, no ban on concealed weapons, no ammunition
caps. The right to bear arms was stated clearly as a right that shall
not be infringed and I am certainly not going to vote with complete
disregard for the 4 page document that united this country; The United
States Constitution.

Please call me at 707-447-8567 if you would like to talk about these or
any other issues at greater detail.

For Liberty,
Gary Clift

CAGNR
08-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I would support a consensus vote by CAL Guns members for the selected Republican Candidate. If we spread our vote around, our interests will not be served. Lets continue the research and debate and try to arrive at a sound consensus to align our votes behind our best choice..

dixieD
08-11-2009, 8:45 AM
I also contacted Mr. Clift, and I am heartened that the response I got is not exactly the same as post 16. A refreshing departure from the email form letters that I usual receive. My question, and his response below.

Dear Mr. Clift,

I was wondering what your position is regarding the 2nd Amendment, the various ammo bills that are circulating in the State Legislature, as well as Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW).

Thank you
Douglas

His reply

Douglas,
No Assault Weapons Ban, No ammunition caps, and you should not have to prove necessity to get a concealed weapons permit; if you are a law-abiding citizen that should be enough.

Assault weapons bans, ammuntion caps, and ridiculously hard to attain concealed weapons permits only hurts law-abiding citizens seeking self defense. Criminals who have already shown disregard to the law by killing other human beings, obviously would not be concerned about possessing an assault weapon or large amounts of ammunition if they were illegal as well because these penalties would be less than murder. I would say the only exception is that those convicted of certain felonies such as rape and murder should not be able to own a gun as they have already shown themselves to be a danger to the society at large.

I believe the constitution mandates that Americans shall have the right to bear arms and no state should be able to circumvent that right. If you would like to discuss this or any other issue further please do not hesitate to contact me at 707-447-8567.
For Liberty,
Gary Clift

-aK-
08-11-2009, 10:16 AM
John Garamendi is the Lt. Governor. His web site does not say anything about gun control but it appears that he has an anti record. He is currently leading in the polls but this could change and his numbers are weak considering his name recognition.

I don't know anything else about any of the other candidates. But I would like to know more.

I spoke with Garamendi in person earlier this year after listening to him lecture. I specifically asked him about his stance on gun control. I'll give him this, he didn't dodge the question, he took a stance and he gave me a straight answer, props for that at least.

Garamendi's answer was he is in favor of restricting "assault weapons" to police and military only.

hvengel
08-11-2009, 11:39 AM
David Harmer is running in the upcoming special election in the 10th Congressional District to replace Ellen Tauscher. He is by far the most pro-gun rights candidate in this race. And his position on the Second Amendment is not a new one: read this (http://saf.org/LawReviews/HarmerBYU.htm) law review article that he wrote in 1998 for the Brigham Young Law Review. Here's just a flavor of what he wrote over 10 years ago:

I read the law review article and it is very clear the Harmer is a long time pro 2nd amendment person. The article is a good read and I suggest that every one in the district read it. I consider it to be his position on 2A and he does not need to say even one additional word about it as far as I am concerned. Since he appears to be the most viable of the pro 2A candidates I will be voting for him.

dexter9659
08-11-2009, 3:50 PM
So Harmer or Clift it seems. Time to choose and not split our support for the best chance.

Creeping Incrementalism
08-11-2009, 7:36 PM
So Harmer or Clift it seems. Time to choose and not split our support for the best chance.

If Harmer is the only viable Republican and he has a strong pro-gun history, and the Dems are the usual anti-gun stuff, I think the issue is settled.

navyinrwanda, thanks for the research.

Aleksei Vasiliev
08-11-2009, 7:41 PM
I'll help you decide not to vote for Mary Mcilroy, the Peace and Freedom party member: "The Peace and Freedom Party is committed to socialism, democracy, ecology, feminism and racial equality."

navyinrwanda
08-12-2009, 6:56 AM
If Harmer is the only viable Republican and he has a strong pro-gun history, and the Dems are the usual anti-gun stuff, I think the issue is settled.

navyinrwanda, thanks for the research.
No worries. I'd remembered Harmer's name because his publications have been cited so many times, including in some of the Heller amici briefs.

He'd definitely the only viable Republican candidate, too.

Wizard99
08-12-2009, 11:03 AM
For me Harmer is a double win. He is very pro 2nd and he is a Mormon.

KWA-S
08-12-2009, 5:12 PM
"The Peace and Freedom Party is committed to socialism, democracy, ecology, feminism and racial equality."

:smilielol5:

berto
08-29-2009, 1:25 PM
Harmer Tuesday right? How many of you are going to the polls and how many are mailing their ballot in?

I go to the polls after work. It's up the street from the bus and the little old ladies who sit there all day deserve some visitors.

sfpcservice
08-29-2009, 3:13 PM
Chris Bunch is the candidate for 2a in my opinion. I've spoken with him personally on this issue.

1. His idea of gun control is "hitting your target".
2. He is a lifetime member of the NRA
3. He wants to fix the concealed carry laws of California.

I think he deserves a look. :D