PDA

View Full Version : Roster questions

Ducman
08-06-2009, 3:07 PM
Not sure how this work. Let's say I saw a handgun model 1234 AB and the one on the roster only say 1234 A. Will this gun considered certified and legal to purchase from out of state.

I'm actually looking at the SA TRP model # PC9108LP but checking on the CADOJ roster only says PC9108L another example also is the Kimber Warrior but on the list is Warrior II is this a GO or a NO GO ??

liketoshoot
08-06-2009, 3:51 PM
I believe it is a ....wait for it.........sorry , no go

But then I have seen strange things done at FFL's

leelaw
08-06-2009, 4:14 PM
It depends.

On some of the Springfield models, the extra character at the end denoted that the gun came in a "Package" with a holster and/or magazine holder.

In other cases, the "little extra" refers to a difference in model, for example: the CZ SP-01, and CZ SP-01 Tactical. Both appear the same, but the Tactical has different mechanics - a decocker instead of a safety. The CZ SP-01 is on the list, but the CZ SP-01 Tactical may not be DROSed without an exemption.

If this is the first case, then yes, it's approved. You should call Springfield Armory to check for sure. If it is the second case, or they changed the model number for the same gun just because they felt like it, then it's no-go.

From what I can find with a quick search, this seems to be a case of both model numbers being for the same gun, but describing the stuff it comes with. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=1780721 has some information, look for the post by foureyes. Of course, check with Springfield Armory first before ordering.

Miltiades
08-06-2009, 5:03 PM
Not sure how this works. Let's say I saw a handgun model 1234 AB and the one on the roster only say 1234 A. Will this gun considered certified and legal to purchase from out of state?

It all depends on the FFL who is receiving the gun for you in California. If he says it is on the list and will do the transaction, you can do it. So ask him first before you do anything.

Lancear15
08-06-2009, 5:37 PM
Call springfield and ask them what the difference is. If it just the color or something similar you are GTG. Also ask them if they are cali legal.

Hayashi Killian
08-06-2009, 5:49 PM
What about grips? I believe the only difference, forex, between the CZ97B and CZ97BD is that the latter uses rubber grips and the former has wooden ones.

leelaw
08-06-2009, 9:03 PM
What about grips? I believe the only difference, forex, between the CZ97B and CZ97BD is that the latter uses rubber grips and the former has wooden ones.

CZ 97B has a safety.

CZ 97BD has a decocker.

If the difference was grips only, you'd be good to go. In this case, it's not.

leelaw
08-06-2009, 9:06 PM
It all depends on the FFL who is receiving the gun for you in California. If he says it is on the list and will do the transaction, you can do it. So ask him first before you do anything.

If it's not on the list, then don't try to get around it by finding a dealer who doesn't care about breaking the law. DOJ is aware of FFLs who have been doing this, and even sent out an all-FFL mailing last year about a particular model of glock that they discovered certain dealers DROSing as the wrong model.

Besides, if a dealer would transfer a gun to me that I shouldn't be able to DROS, I'd be concerned about what else they let slide, like their paperwork, book keeping, or other things. It's too iffy for me to be comfortable supporting.

locosway
08-06-2009, 9:45 PM
If it's not on the list, then don't try to get around it by finding a dealer who doesn't care about breaking the law. DOJ is aware of FFLs who have been doing this, and even sent out an all-FFL mailing last year about a particular model of glock that they discovered certain dealers DROSing as the wrong model.

Besides, if a dealer would transfer a gun to me that I shouldn't be able to DROS, I'd be concerned about what else they let slide, like their paperwork, book keeping, or other things. It's too iffy for me to be comfortable supporting.

There's a Glock that's not CA legal?

leelaw
08-06-2009, 9:47 PM
There's a Glock that's not CA legal?

Yeah. It was a Glock 21, some special lefty/ambi model that wasn't on the list. Some FFL was DROSing them as on-list mod. 21s.

locosway
08-06-2009, 9:48 PM
I see... Another one of this dangerous left handed models...

jkchan83
08-07-2009, 8:20 AM
I see... Another one of this dangerous left handed models...
Yep, the Glock 21SF with Ambi-Mag Release is not on the list, only the Glock 21SF-STD.

Miltiades
08-07-2009, 9:30 AM

You've got it turned around. The dealer is the one responsible for interpreting the list, not the customer. The dealer is the one with a license he doesn't want to lose, and who is presumably a firearms expert. If DOJ has any problems with the transaction after the fact, they will go after the dealer who did it, not the customer who was misinformed by a licensee who should know better.