PDA

View Full Version : I Need Two Kali Gun Law Dates.....

Nylo
06-23-2005, 7:51 PM
When wast the law passed that you had to register your handguns if you moved to Kali from another state? Also, when was the hi-cap ban passed?

Thanks,
JA

stillbigmac
06-23-2005, 8:09 PM
I can't tell you when the registration requirement bagan. The full capacity magazine ban was passed in 1999 and enacted Jan 01,2000.

bwiese
06-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Jake...

(A couple edit/updates courtesy of Librarian's info...)

Key California gun dates are: <UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>1 Jan 1990 - Roberti-Roos Assault Weapon Control Act of 1989 becomes active. Can no longer acquire/transfer in state, etc. some 50-plus different specifically-named so-called assault weapons. Have 1 year (to 12/31/90) to specially register AWs with Cal DOJ.

<LI>1 Jan 1991 - just about all regular gun sales & transfers in CA must be 'papered' thru a CA FFL dealer with accompanying 10 day waiting period, etc. (If you were a CA resident on/after this date and have a gun mfgd after this date but don't have any paperwork w/state showing this, this is a no-no. But easier to prove for handguns than rifles since rifle data supposedly not retained in Sacramento.)

<LI>1 Apr 1994 - Most handgun purchasers (except for special exempt parties) must have a Basic Firearms Safety Certificate, "BFSC".

<LI>1 Jan 1998 - on/after this date, anyone moving into California with handguns is considered a "Personal Handgun Importer" and has 60 days in which he must file registration paperwork with Cal DOJ. This essentially "DROSes" these 'imported' handguns. This does not apply to rifles.

<LI>1 Jan 2000 - "SB23" enhances Roberti-Roos AW laws. On/after this date, no Californian can trade, acquire, etc. any hi-cap magazine(s), nor any 'by feature' assault weapon(s). Any hi-cap mags legally possessed before this date are allowed to be kept (and can move in/out of state with owner while travelling to/from California.)

<LI>31 Dec 2000 - last date to register most assault weapons w/DOJ in California due to SB23. [This does not include AWs originally required to be reg'd by orig Roberti-Roos law.]
AR/AK-series weapons can be reg'd up to 23 Jan 2001.

<LI>1 Jan 2001 - "safe" vs. "unsafe" handgun differentiation begins, along with "The List" of approved handguns. CA FFL dealers cannot sell 'unsafe' handguns to anyone in CA except via 'consignment'/face-to-face private party transfer ("F2F PPT").

<LI>23 Jan 2001 - last day to register AR15 and AK series (only) AWs in CA due to August 2000 Kasler decision.

<LI>1 Jan 2003 - The BFSC (Basic Firearms Safety Certificate) is replaced by the 5-year renewable "HSC", or Handgun Safety Certificate (SB52, 2001).

<LI>31 Dec 2004 - last date to legally acquire 50BMG rifles in CA. (I think DROS can just be started by this date...)

<LI>30 Apr 2006 - last date to register 50BMG rifles w/CA DOJ.

<LI>1 Jan 2006 - SB489 (2003) mandates that, from this date, pistols added to the DOJ-approved 'safe' handgun list must have EITHER a loaded-chamber indicator OR a magazine disconnect safety.

<LI>1 Jan 2007 - SB489 (2003) mandates that pistols added to the DOJ-approved 'safe' gun list must have BOTH a loaded-chanber indicator AND a magazine disconnect safety.

[/list]

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Nylo
06-24-2005, 3:19 PM
Thanks! This should be a sticky post.

JA

Librarian
06-24-2005, 4:59 PM
More 'minor' dates:

from 2003's SB489 -

1 January 2006 - pistols added to the 'safe' handgun list must have EITHER a loaded-chanber indicator OR a magazine disconnect.

1 January 2007 - pistols added to the 'safe' list must have BOTH a loaded-chanber indicator AND a magazine disconnect.

---

1 April 1994 - handgun purchasers must have a Basic Firearms Safety Certificate

1 January 2003 - the BFSC is replaced by the 5-year renewable Handgun Safety Certificate (SB 52, 2001)

bwiese
06-24-2005, 6:19 PM
Librarian, thanks!

I reedited/updated my post with your add'l information...

Bill Wiese
San Jose