PDA

View Full Version : Grease to Lube your guns?

Kingofthehill
08-05-2009, 9:09 PM
Anyone use Grease insted of Oil? on these hot days now the oil seems to be getting very thin and seeping out of the gun as the day goes on. Think Grease may be a better alternative?

Ive been using several different brands and never really thought about it but the other day it was 100+ out, guns layed on the table and all kinda leaked oil out the frame rails.

guns like my sig like to be wet so it was quite a bit on the side facing down.

Anyone using Grease? Suggestions?

Thanks

JOe

ghost
08-05-2009, 9:12 PM
i use slip2000 on the internals and tetra grease on the slide/frame rails.

CRTguns
08-05-2009, 9:17 PM
Brian Enos Slide Glide... it will change your life.:)
Available in your Dillon Blue Presas Catalog, or Brianenos.com
To be used ONLY on your guns. Not for internal or topical use. Please resist the inclination to put it on everything.

hawk1547
08-05-2009, 9:22 PM
I also use slip2000 on the internals and Mil-Comm TW25B on the slide/frame.
Exceptional performance in sand,high-humidity and extreme temperatures.

Jason762
08-05-2009, 9:25 PM
I use White Lithium grease...

3GunFunShooter
08-05-2009, 9:27 PM
+100 on Glide Slide. Best lube available. Developed by world class shooter for shooters. 3 different grades available.

SanSacto
08-05-2009, 9:28 PM
I am going to give both Weapon Shield oil (http://www.steelshieldtech.com/store/weapon-shield-4-oz-p-51.html) and grease (http://www.steelshieldtech.com/store/weapon-shield-grease-2oz-tub-p-59.html) a try, I have heard great things!

For AR-15s it is good to use grease on the bolt, correct?

Nikola
08-05-2009, 9:31 PM
I've had great results with Tetra grease on the slide rails of my SIGs and on the cylinder axles of my wheelguns. A very little bit goes a long way.

Juicymeat
08-05-2009, 9:40 PM
I use Mobil 1 15W-50 with great results...800 rounds and counting with only 1 application.

sholling
08-05-2009, 9:43 PM
Slide Glide Lite or Wilson, or if it's really hot Mobil 1 grease.

Jon
08-05-2009, 9:43 PM
I've been using Jardine's Extreme on my guns for a little while now:

http://www.jardinescustom.com/accessories.html

I'm pretty impressed with it. Powder and crud seem to be attracted to the grease and it makes cleaning pretty easy. A little dab will do you!

Vin496
08-05-2009, 9:45 PM
This is all you need.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/gunOilSilicone.gif

hybridatsun350
08-05-2009, 10:05 PM
I've been using a white grease from Wilson Combat and it's been doing a good job. I've had it forever and just recently started using it quite a bit.

For AR-15s it is good to use grease on the bolt, correct?

AR's need oil not grease.

CRTguns
08-05-2009, 10:12 PM
This Jardine stuff...

all the talk of "Chlorinated wax"- techno babble- This is NEVER used in surface film lubricants. It is used ONLY in cutting fluids- rapid tap, Thread cutting oil, etc... Brownells Do Drill is Chlorinated wax and mineral oil. Jardine may have misread the label on his cutting fluid. Not to be confused.

"Most gun lubes are repacked industrial grease or oil not designed for the friction and wear regimes of modern semi and full auto systems."

Does this mean that Jardine spent time and R&D money on his special formula? Dude... My shop waited 4 years for some guns from this guy Never got them... I doubt that his enterprise has been successful enough to fund the "development" of anything.

Brian Enos!
Brian Enos!
Brian Enos!
Brian Enos!
Brian Enos!
Brian Enos!
Brian Enos!
Brian Enos!
Brian Enos!
Brian Enos!

PS... I've been present at IDPA shoots where Mr. Jardine has had to, um, clear multiple jams in the course of fire. 'Nuff said about his grease.

His Guns are nice looking, and tight, maybe too tight- like Les Baers. Just needs to make more of them.

KAVEMAN762
08-05-2009, 10:16 PM
I sprayed my bolt and inner slide with a dry graphite spray, thats used for anything with metal to metal contact. Then I applied a little gun oil on the parts. Ive had over 1400++ rounds through my AR with no problems. And it felt smoother when I applied it. Havent cleaned my gas tube yet, but Im waiting to see when I need to and log it at what mileage. The dry graphite lube I used doesnt attract dirt and is chemical resistant, and handles 1000 degrees. Its similar to the friction coatings you see on pistons in car engines.

HondaMasterTech
08-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Silicone grease mixed with copper antisieze. Works great.

bin31z
08-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Man, people think wayyyyy too much about what grease and oil. Its all bs. A gun is not that picky about what kind of lubrication it gets. I use some kind of grease on the rails and clp then wipe off on internal parts. Just go watch the AGI video on professional gun cleaning. All they do is detail strip the gun, wash it with simple green and water, dry, cover with CLP, wipe off and assemble. I add the grease just cause it feels nice to rack the slide with that greasy ball bearing feel, not really necessary. Some people might say just oiling the slide and wiping off is not enough lubrication, but I say, if its good enough for Bob Dunlap, its good enough for me.

HondaMasterTech
08-06-2009, 5:51 AM
Not all lubes are appropriate for the same things. There is a difference. Some lubes are good for sliding, some for rolling. Some for high pressure, some not. Temp is important. Some lubes break down with heat, others need heat to activate.

Kingofthehill
08-06-2009, 6:09 AM
Some interesting info..

Thanks and keep posting up your recipe's

JOe

Jerkdog
08-06-2009, 6:27 AM
CLP is all you need. They use it over in the sandbox everyday, that's got to mean something.

jamespres2001
08-06-2009, 6:46 AM
i use slip2000 on the internals and tetra grease on the slide/frame rails.

Bump. I use this on my SIG 220ST works great.

P.S. Does any Manufacturer recommend a certain Oil / Grease for lubrication on their Guns?

Hunter158
08-06-2009, 7:11 AM
CLP is all you need. They use it over in the sandbox everyday, that's got to mean something.

While I'd be inclined to agree with you that anything that handles the harsh environment of the desert has to be good.... When was the last time the Government's reccomendation on ANYTHING (especially consumables) was based on performance and not price or kick-backs?

I use CLP to clean and generally wipe down on reassembly. I use RIG Universal for rails on semi-auto pistols. On my Garand and M1a I use Lubriplate 130-a.

Hunter158
08-06-2009, 7:13 AM
P.S. Does any Manufacturer recommend a certain Oil / Grease for lubrication on their Guns?

Pleanty do... CZ/Dan Wesson even ships a starter package of a penetrating oil with their guns.

tEN wOLVES fIVE sHOOTER
08-06-2009, 7:28 AM
Howdy All

I've been using Gun Butter for a couple years now, and find it to be the best lube I've used yet, if you haven't tried it yet, check it out, this link will give all the information you will need.

http://www.gunbutter.com/

Regards

tEN wOLVES

Snapping Twig
08-06-2009, 7:38 AM
If it slides - grease it.

If it's a pivot or a spring - oil.

For example, on a 1911 - grease the rails and oil the rest.

Kingofthehill
08-06-2009, 7:46 AM
If it slides - grease it.

If it's a pivot or a spring - oil.

For example, on a 1911 - grease the rails and oil the rest.

Interesting. :cool:

STAGE 2
08-06-2009, 7:49 AM
Oil for carry. Grease for the range if you are so inclined.

SCMA-1
08-06-2009, 8:05 AM

http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.Drugstore.com/prodimg/79020/300.jpg

Black Majik
08-06-2009, 8:41 AM
I use both. Grease on the slide and frame rails, oil everywhere else.

Tetralube gun grease is what I use since it's so simple to obtain.

taloft
08-06-2009, 9:48 AM
Pro-Shot Pro Gold grease on the rails. Oil on the other shiny spots.

IPSICK
08-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Slide Glide too many advantages to name but I'll name two main ones.

1. It doesn't run like oil and keeps your pistol running smooth.

2. It actually does make cleaning easier because it traps gunk that would get into your gun (without affecting function of course), so when you clean it you just wipe off the glide and re-grease when done.

eldy
08-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Bump. I use this on my SIG 220ST works great.

Sig recommends Mil-Comm TW-25B. You should have received a small packet inside the box when you received the gun.

zman
08-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Howdy All

I've been using Gun Butter for a couple years now, and find it to be the best lube I've used yet, if you haven't tried it yet, check it out, this link will give all the information you will need.

http://www.gunbutter.com/

Regards

tEN wOLVES

Ahhh...a fellow Gun Butter user. If it's good enough for Todd Jarrett, it's good enough for me :43:

Seriously though, I've had no complaints on this product. I use it in conjunction with Hoppes Elite and CLP too.

http://www.gunbutter.com/team-todd.htm

http://www.gunbutter.com/images/triplewithgun.jpg

TitanCi
08-06-2009, 1:02 PM
red lithium grease works fine for me. it cleans easy too!

jamespres2001
08-06-2009, 3:22 PM
Sig recommends Mil-Comm TW-25B. You should have received a small packet inside the box when you received the gun.

I did thanks, lost it within the first week. Didn't realize it was of a certain Brand.

Voo
08-06-2009, 3:49 PM
i use grease for some things.. i use oil for others..

substitute ur favorite brand in when you see the words "grease" and "oil"... If you maintain it frequently, the brand of choice isn't going to be hands down/leaps and bounds better than any other brand..

kegs
08-06-2009, 4:03 PM
Grease on the big contact areas, and oil everywhere else. Even my P99 with 1500 rounds and me not knowing much of WTF I'm doing when cleaning hasn't ever had a jam or problem.

Beelzy
08-06-2009, 4:08 PM
Gunslick.

A tiny tube lasts for years.

Rob454
08-06-2009, 7:32 PM
Anyone use Grease insted of Oil? on these hot days now the oil seems to be getting very thin and seeping out of the gun as the day goes on. Think Grease may be a better alternative?

Ive been using several different brands and never really thought about it but the other day it was 100+ out, guns layed on the table and all kinda leaked oil out the frame rails.

guns like my sig like to be wet so it was quite a bit on the side facing down.

Anyone using Grease? Suggestions?

Thanks

JOe

if oil is seeping out of your gun youre using too much oil.

sholling
08-06-2009, 7:46 PM
if oil is seeping out of your gun youre using too much oil.
It's a matter of degree. If it's obviously seeping then yes you're using too much oil. But the reason that many of us use a good synthetic grease is that over time enough lube can slowly seep out of a weapon to effect reliability. Especially in hot weather. This isn't an issue if you are cleaning and oiling your weapon pretty often or it's happy running fairly dry. It can be a problem though if it's a weapon that likes to run wet it doesn't get a lot of attention.

All of my semiauto pistols get a light coat of synthetic grease on the rails and bushings. My semiautomatic rifles get a light coat on the bolt. As many guns as I have it's the only practical way not to have to reserve a day every few weeks for cleaning and lubing guns.

Sobriquet
08-06-2009, 10:13 PM
I am going to give both Weapon Shield oil (http://www.steelshieldtech.com/store/weapon-shield-4-oz-p-51.html) and grease (http://www.steelshieldtech.com/store/weapon-shield-grease-2oz-tub-p-59.html) a try, I have heard great things!

Another strong recommendation for WeaponShield and Lithishield grease. I've had excellent results and now use nothing else.

randy
08-06-2009, 11:41 PM
On my pistols I use Mobil 1 grease. Cheap works well lasts a long time. Rifles and shotguns I use oil.

Freagan
08-07-2009, 12:52 AM
For my Sig I use a brand called Magnalube. It is supposed to be a hardcore lubricant for industrial equipment and I have had awesome results with it thus far. I got it as a free sample online, have no idea if they are still giving out samples but its definitely worth looking into.

CRTguns
08-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Slide Glide too many advantages to name but I'll name two main ones.

1. It doesn't run like oil and keeps your pistol running smooth.

2. It actually does make cleaning easier because it traps gunk that would get into your gun (without affecting function of course), so when you clean it you just wipe off the glide and re-grease when done.

Brian Enos!
Brian Enos!

domokun
08-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I use slide glide as well.

MT1
08-07-2009, 6:54 PM
Slide Glide - only oil in the bore when stored.

LAKA90034
08-07-2009, 7:38 PM
Gunslick brand anhydrous graphite.

G17GUY
08-07-2009, 7:41 PM
royal purple gear oil

CRTguns
08-07-2009, 8:07 PM
Gunslick brand anhydrous graphite.

Dry Graphite offers no protection from corrosion. Is this Gunslick product that geasy black stuff in a tiny tube? That's GREAT on trigger surfaces.

anhydrous just means that it will not absorb water. Some carbon compounds are hydrophobic. Or the graphite is suspended in an oil.

mgbebout
08-08-2009, 8:34 AM
I bought this stull called +P Stainless lube from Rig Products many years ago. Seems to work just fine.

DarkHorse
08-08-2009, 4:34 PM
I recently bought some Birchwood Casey SNO Gun Grease, and have used it on my AR and Compact 1911.

Both weapons functioned fine during my trip to the range, and cleaning was no different than normal.

CSDGuy
08-08-2009, 5:14 PM
Depends on the application. On my M1 Garand, I use grease, in and on the places that the manual says to put it there. I don't recall the brand of grease, but it's certainly done quite well and stays put. I use oil to help prevent surface rust, and to provide lube in those places that calls for oil. It seems to work well for me. I also have an older (like pre-1948) .22LR rifle that I'll try the grease on, the next time I have it stripped down for cleaning.

Spearo
08-08-2009, 6:31 PM
I use Pennzoil marine grade axle grease on my 1911 exclusively. Also on my YUGO, works great instead of oil, because it does not run to the firing pin.

Everything else gets Hoppes 9 oil.

gdr_11
08-08-2009, 8:03 PM
Ditto on Enos' Slide Glide.

For those of you who like to cook while you shoot, Crisco will give you that fried chicken smell after a few dozen rounds.