PDA

View Full Version : First handgun

sinefato
08-05-2009, 6:14 PM
I'm turning 21 in 4 days and thinking about getting a handgun for myself. The problem is I am a horrible shot with a pistol. I want to get something small(ish), between .22 and 9mil to practice on before moving my way up and was wondering if there was a generally accepted good choice for a first handgun.

I've been looking at and considering H&K USP 9mil, SIG Mosquito/226, Walther P22, Beretta 87/92/PX4 among other things.

Opinions?

Eroland7
08-05-2009, 6:15 PM
why dont you get a glock 19. 9mm very dependable, very durable, and very easy to take down and clean.

sinefato
08-05-2009, 6:19 PM
I've fired a Glock before and it just wasn't very comfortable in my hands. I don't know if it was the grip angle or the shape but I didn't like it at all

mykeg11
08-05-2009, 6:59 PM
I just looked at the Glock 17, Sig 226, and Springfield XD 9mm and decided on the XD becuase of quality, price, and feel. Took me awhile but after weighing all the options thats what I feel is a good 1st gun.

Cjones38
08-05-2009, 7:02 PM
I just looked at the Glock 17, Sig 226, and Springfield XD 9mm and decided on the XD becuase of quality, price, and feel. Took me awhile but after weighing all the options thats what I feel is a good 1st gun.

Good choice, I love my XD 45.

Greg-Dawg
08-05-2009, 7:02 PM
I'm turning 21 in 4 days and thinking about getting a handgun for myself. The problem is I am a horrible shot with a pistol....
Opinions?

First of all, do yourself a favor and take a Basic Handgun Class. Sign up as a member at your local range and try out different pistols they have for rent.

Decide from there.

Bigballaizm
08-05-2009, 7:10 PM
First of all, do yourself a favor and take a Basic Handgun Class. Sign up as a member at your local range and try out different pistols they have for rent.

Decide from there.

Good advice!! My 1st was a 9mm Beretta 92FS which I still have & luv it.
Good luck bro.

dfens
08-05-2009, 7:15 PM
I would avoid the Beretta 87 a .380 is not the best training round.

You don't really need a .22 besides most aren't ergonomic or full size so scratch the P-22 and the Mosquito.

The 92, Storm, 226, or USP are all great guns plus most ranges have them to rent.

I started off on a 1911 .45 acp when I was 9-10 years old and shot the bullseye out at 5-7 yards my first time.

Where are you at exactly maybe some fellow cal gunners can give you some pointers.

bondmid003
08-05-2009, 7:19 PM
I would go with a Glock in 9mm. It provides the perfect balance of price and quality that you want in a first time gun. The HK USP 9 will be quite a bit more than the Glock

Now I personally am not a fan of 9mm at all but if you want to start small, I'd go with 9mm over .22 or .380

SCMA-1
08-05-2009, 7:26 PM
It sounds like you have a ways to go to master fundamental pistol marksmanship; with that in mind, a good 22 semi auto is not a bad idea. It will allow you to practice alot (low cost of ammo) and the low recoil/report will be helpful in your concentration on the basics. When you feel you have a firm grasp of basic marksmanship, you can keep the 22 or sell it if you need to and move up to something more powerful. Best thing to do regardless is to go to a local indoor range that offers rentals and rent a good selection of handguns to try out first; that really is the only way to determine what works/fits the best with you because everyone is different.

Whereabouts do you live so we can offer suggestions?

SCMA-1

MiguelS
08-05-2009, 7:42 PM
If you want to go cheaper, perhaps a used P6 9mm, if the grip is too thin, replace it with a Pachmyr grip.

Ask some of the Orange County gunners to meet you at arange if you cannot rent the gun you want.

I enjoy how the sig feels in my hand as well.

slik556
08-05-2009, 7:45 PM
No one can tell you what is the right pistol for you, you need to get your hands on a few and give them a feel. What feels good in my hand may not be the same for you. We all can make suggestions that you can take and check out for yourself but in the end go with what feel good to you. Most of the new pistols made now days from the major manufactures are great guns, so it all comes down to the factors you apply, Cost, Feel, Features, Function and so on. On the issue of cost, The FNP9 is a good choice if you are on a some what limited budget, but by no means is it a cheap compromising choice. Give the FNP9 a feel, it comes with a changeable back strap as does the M&P 9 form S&W, another nice pistol, this feature give a little more customization to fit the hand. Good luck and BE SAFE!

Blue
08-05-2009, 8:01 PM
My first pistol was a Beretta 96. I bought it on a whim on my birthday, and regret not "playing the field" first. I've had it 5 years, and have hardly shot it.

MarioS
08-06-2009, 2:30 AM
IMO, you don't need to start with a small caliber if you think you are a "bad shot" with a pistol. My first handgun after turning 21 was an SA XD-40 Service. Have more confidence in your skills when you're handling that gun at the range and shoot with confidence. I don't think any caliber should be a problem. Heck, some people learn on .45ACP.

That being said, a Glock would be a nice choice for a first gun; or an XD. 9mm or .40S&W would be fine. Glocks are cheap and will last you forever. You can get a used 3rd gen. with decent round count for $450-525.

eccvets
08-06-2009, 3:54 AM
rent and shoot all of them and pick the one feels the best/most comfortable for you. They all feel different

Miltiades
08-06-2009, 4:10 AM
Of the guns you mentioned, I would tend to go with the H&K USP in 9mm. These days 9mm ammo is easier to find (and cheaper) than .380, and if the gun will do double duty as a defensive weapon, 9mm is a more potent choice than .22. The recoil of 9mm in a full size gun is also fairly mild, and should not inhibit learning to shoot.

Unless you are going to carry a gun such that weight is important, I don't see much point in polymer except to keep the manufacturing cost down compared to metal. So if this gun is just for range and home defense, you might consider the metal frame alternatives to the polymer USP as well. That would bring such brands as Sig and CZ into consideration. My favorite for a 9mm metal framed gun would be the Sig P226 (full size) or the more compact Sig P228.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/SigP22640.jpg

IPSICK
08-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Try out the XD. I was going to suggest the Glock but you do not apparently like it. The XD has a different grip angle than the Glock but has the same simple operating system. Should you decide to improve the trigger there is some very interesting work being done on XD's.

roc
08-06-2009, 12:32 PM
xd9 or 92fs would be good pistols to buy as your first. also ones you will want to keep as you get more experienced.

hybridatsun350
08-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Go out to a range and rent a couple guns to figure out what you do and don't like. Where are you located? I am sure there is a range nearby that can help you decide what's best for you. That being said, I really like Glocks, but you've already mentioned they don't feel right to you which is good to know. Even if you don't know what you want, it's good to know what you don't want! :)

Mr. Herbergerber
08-06-2009, 2:10 PM
+1 on trying lots of different guns

My first handgun was a browning Buckmark in .22. Great gun, lots of fun and cheap to shoot. At first the recoil of even a 9mm was bothersome for me, but I got used to it. Now I can shoot anything without a problem. It took about 2 months to get there, some people take less time. Some people can shoot a .45 right away and not flinch at all. Your experience will be different. If you can afford a .22 (like the Buckmark or a Ruger MKIII) and a 9mm in few months then go for it. When you move up you will still have a neat little gun to have fun with and introduce others to the sport.

I definitely recommend a class with a good teacher. A good grip on the gun will really minimize recoil and your confidence in shooting. That is probably more important than which gun you choose.

C_1
08-06-2009, 2:30 PM
Yep, handle and shoot as many guns as you can. Make sure the pistol fits your hand. If you're worried about the recoil of a 9mm, you can start off with a 22lr handgun, and work your way up. Also, take a class, it wouldnt hurt.

9mm recommendations:
Beretta PX4
Browning Hi-Power
CZ 75
CZ P-01
CZ SP-01
"Baby" Desert Eagle
Heckler Koch P2000
Heckler Koch P7
HK USPc
Kahr CW9
Ruger SR9
Sig P239
Sig SP2022
Smith & Wesson M&P
Springfield XD
Walter P99

BRNRone
08-06-2009, 5:12 PM
I wouldn't start on anything less than a S&W 500. Naw. Try out a 9mm baby eagle. It has a smooth trigger pull and not a lot of recoil.

ontmark
08-06-2009, 9:24 PM
IMHO and $.02 worth
I am old school.

I really believe anyone’s first handgun should be
a wheel gun in 357 with a 3 to 4 inch barrel
3 to 4 inch good for the range, packing camping,
and home defense.

Why a wheel gun?
You take so much out of possibilities of error.
1. Very easy to unload when needed
2. A lot easier to clean for the new shooter.
3. Can practice both double action and single trigger pull.
4. A lot less malfunctions to deal with while shooting.

The semi auto issues for new shooter
1. Harder to clean
2. Time to shoot. Magazine in, pull slide back off slide stop and let slide forward to load, tries to shoot. Nothing happens. Slide did not go into full battery. So new shooter thinks ok pistol didn’t strip round from Magazine. Cycles slide to load pistol and finds live round being ejected from pistol. First response usually from new shooter is go pick up live round, Sets loaded pistol on shooting bench while looking for live round. This is a no-no.
3. Range officer calls cease fire, magazines out action locked open. New shooter drops magazine opens action and locks it open. Again there is a live round somewhere on the ground, New shooters first response usually is to find live round. Is it in front of the bench, on the bench, or on the ground? None of which is usually behind safety line away from the bench.
4. What do I do if I have a fail to eject (stove pipe)?
5. What do I do if I have a fail to feed?
6. New handgun shooter’s main concern should always be the full control of the loaded weapon that is why I feel it is best to start with a wheel gun!!
7. I have seen all of these through my years of shooting.

Why a 357? 38 special wad cutters can be bought pretty cheap. Practice, Practice, Practice. Wide range of loads to try 38 special, 38 special+P 357 Magnum. Get use to shooting a hand gun. Then let’s get through the Semi Auto issues.

Sorry for the long replay.

AndrewMendez
08-06-2009, 9:33 PM
I would check out the smith and wesson M&P. I have heard of a couple PD's turning to them in 9mm. They come with interchangeable hand grips, and Turners usually has them on sale for $549 with 4 Mags! It was my first hand gun, and I have not had any problems with it! Where are you located???

flyinghi
08-06-2009, 9:37 PM
Well Congrats on shopping for your first handgun! Watch out, it can definitly become addicting! :)

Definitely try a bunch of guns before you buy. If it feels good, do it! :43: For those of use with smaller hands, the 226 and 1911 are great choices!

Best of luck on your buy.....

evidens83
08-06-2009, 9:47 PM
I was gonna say maybe a Glock 19 but since you didn't like how it felt may I also suggest a XD9 or 92FS. All 3 are rock solid choices!

chefdude
08-06-2009, 9:53 PM
sig p226r

sinefato
08-06-2009, 10:14 PM
WOW! I didn't expect this many answers after just one day. Thanks for all the tips! I'm sorry if this thread sounded kinda "wat gun is gud?" as I was trying to avoid that and more ask what guns to avoid etc.

My friend works at a gun store so I have the unique chance to go in and handle guns on a whim but not to shoot them. I'm in the city of Orange and the closest pistol range I know of is Evans(http://www.egsw.com/home.htm) so I have a feeling I will be down there quite a lot in the next few months renting and practicing. I need to find a place to take some classes too. I already know the safety and technical aspects of guns (I have been shooting rifles and shotguns wince I was about 10) but the technique of pistol shooting is something I haven't grasped yet.

So far I'm liking the feel of a 226 but until I get the chance to fire one I can't know for sure. This may be a bad question but what do you guys think of the 5-7? I have heard it has little recoil and is pretty accurate, although ammo is expensive and hard to find

Thanks again to everyone.

Greg-Dawg
08-06-2009, 10:19 PM
...This may be a bad question but what do you guys think of the 5-7? I have heard it has little recoil and is pretty accurate, although ammo is expensive and hard to find

5.7 is good. Go get one.

MiguelS
08-06-2009, 10:23 PM
I just rented today the HK USP 9mm and I liked it. Good fit on the hand, no issues, good shooter. The friend I took never had shot before and he preferred my Sig Mosquito though and liked the feel of the Sig P226 over the HK.

bondmid003
08-06-2009, 10:35 PM
sig p226r

I just bought a 226R and I love it but I think this might be a bit of a stretch for his first gun mainly because they don't come cheap

tuliakby
08-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Browning Buckmark. Hone your skills then move up in caliber. If you live in the hood and have no other means for self defense, I reccomend the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. Outstanding firearm, not too much recoil to overcome and plenty of stopping power should you need to defend yourself/family. Either way, good luck.

SCMA-1
08-07-2009, 7:10 AM
WOW! I didn't expect this many answers after just one day. Thanks for all the tips! I'm sorry if this thread sounded kinda "wat gun is gud?" as I was trying to avoid that and more ask what guns to avoid etc.

My friend works at a gun store so I have the unique chance to go in and handle guns on a whim but not to shoot them. I'm in the city of Orange and the closest pistol range I know of is Evans(http://www.egsw.com/home.htm) so I have a feeling I will be down there quite a lot in the next few months renting and practicing. I need to find a place to take some classes too. I already know the safety and technical aspects of guns (I have been shooting rifles and shotguns wince I was about 10) but the technique of pistol shooting is something I haven't grasped yet.

So far I'm liking the feel of a 226 but until I get the chance to fire one I can't know for sure. This may be a bad question but what do you guys think of the 5-7? I have heard it has little recoil and is pretty accurate, although ammo is expensive and hard to find

I'd recommend Insight Shooting Range in Artesia; it's not too far from you. They have a huge selection of rental handguns and the best part is the rental fee is a flat rate of $10 per day and entitles you to EVERY handgun in the rental cases. You can tryout one or all of them; of course you have to purchase ammo from them to use in the rental guns. Also, the range fee is very reasonable at $15 for all day, not hourly.

http://insightrangeinc.com/shoot.html

SCMA-1

sinefato
08-07-2009, 4:48 PM
I'd recommend Insight Shooting Range in Artesia; it's not too far from you. They have a huge selection of rental handguns and the best part is the rental fee is a flat rate of $10 per day and entitles you to EVERY handgun in the rental cases. You can tryout one or all of them; of course you have to purchase ammo from them to use in the rental guns. Also, the range fee is very reasonable at $15 for all day, not hourly.

http://insightrangeinc.com/shoot.html

SCMA-1

I'll defiantly have to check them out next time I'm in that part of town. Thanks!

rustycase
08-07-2009, 9:41 PM
Look for a gunshop that has a range.
Find a salesperson you can get along with.
Try a number of firearms until you find a few that feel good in your hand.
Pay to try those on their range.
Take a shooting course in your area at a local range.
Practice is important.
Personal defense is the goal.

sd1023x
08-08-2009, 9:54 AM
Rent pistols at range and consider getting a pistol that feels good for you and has a .22 conversion kit

Sheepdog1968
08-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Go to range w friends and try a number of their 9 mm. I suggest a 9 mm first due to its light recoil so you don't develop bad habits when shooting. If one in particular feels really good to you then that's the one to get. Almost all modern pistols are reliable. Take a class or two soon as well and maybe before you buy. You can typically rent from the range.

Its only after a long time of shooting will you develop preferences. These preferences will also differ for the function of the gun (home defense, social plinking, target shooting, conceal carry, etc). Odds are you will own more than one pistol so you really can't make a bad choice.

Another good thing to get early on is a 22 rifle. Ammo cheap and it will allow you to work on basic skills. Many good ones to choose from.

Congrats on starting a lifetime of shooting.

Grayblue
08-08-2009, 10:33 AM
It totally depends on what you want and why you want it.

My first owned pistol was a P229R DAK in 40S&W. But, that's because I needed a pistol for personal protection from the start.

Why do you want a 22LR pistol?

If it's for pure sport/marksmanship basics, or plinking, I'd advise you to go with a SIG Trail Slide or other dedicated 22LR platform.

If it's for a cheaper alternative to train shooting a P226, then I would advise against buying a SIG Mosquito. Buying a P226, then buying a 22LR kit would be much better. You get same trigger, almost same dimension and feel. And, better reliability from what I've read.

It's not necessary to start with a 22LR, then move up to a caliber more suitable for security use. 9mm recoil is not strong to start with, especially in a platform like P226 or USP. Also, you being able to hit a dime size group with a 22LR pistol with 3lb trigger do not in any way mean you'll even hit the target paper with a 9mm~45ACP combat pistols with 5.5~12 lb DA trigger.

Sheepdog1968
08-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I'd skip the 5-7 due to the ammo cost. With any gun, you will quickly spend more in ammo than the cost of the gun. In factan the cost of the gun quickly becomes the least expensive part of the equation.

Glad to hear u r trying a variety of guns and u r right that u need to fire it to be sure. I personally love Sigs. I've got friends who swear by other brands. Get what u like and feels good to you. The more you like it the more you will want to use it.

slvrbulit12
08-09-2009, 9:35 AM
My first handgun was a used S&W model 15 in 38 special with a 4" barrel, great first gun.

1. Revolver - 4" barrel in 38 special.

2. Auto - 4"-5" barrel in 9mm.

Low recoil and cheap to shoot.

PatriotnMore
08-09-2009, 9:39 AM
I am sure it has been suggested, go for a quality .22lr, learn good shooting skills first, then buy a larger caliber later. Or, buy a quality larger caliber that has a .22 conversion, learn to shoot on the conversion first.

Captian Morgan
08-09-2009, 6:43 PM
I just bought my first hand gun today.:clap::punk::13: I have been to the range & rented several before I decided on what to buy. I really wanted a Glock17,but not a good fit,I found out that's the most important thing when buying. Also..take your time,there's no hurry,unless your expecting a home invasion soon. And finally, there's deals out there,that takes patients too,it's a lot of money so think about what fits your needs. GL & be careful don't put your eye out.:) That's my advise as a fellow rookie!!

Oh..almost forgot,not that it matters, I bought the XD-9 as my first gun, I figured my wife could shoot it too, & it fit my hand very well. It's gonna be tough waiting 10 days. :)

STP
08-09-2009, 6:50 PM
I have a Walther P-22, it cost me about $220-ish brand new, it fits a medium to smaller hand very, very comfortably, has interchangeable backstraps, is really small, has minimal recoil, and looks a lot meaner than a .22.....as if that matters. Either way, ammo is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP....and if you are a good shot, no reason you can't kill with this just like all the other big guys. I also have a Glock 17, and it is awesome, breaks down easy, and is completely reliable, but it does have a larger grip and some may not like the way it feels, I put a condom on mine, Houge.

nativeofsandiego
08-09-2009, 6:52 PM
Xd all the way....
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/ajpadre/IMG_9592c.jpg

Captian Morgan
08-09-2009, 8:49 PM
Xd all the way....
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/ajpadre/IMG_9592c.jpg

Sweet!! Oh..thanks i still have 10 days>:chris: I want a laser & the light for home safety.

SoCalRandy
08-10-2009, 8:21 PM
If you have the money to spend: Sig P226 in 9mm... you won't regret it!

Z ME FLY
08-10-2009, 8:23 PM
go to the range and rent the guns. that will give you an idea of what you will like