PDA

View Full Version : Gun as a gift.

ShadowKazama
02-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Just a small question (I hope).

I'm thinking of buying a gun for my father as a gift (looking into a colt python). I understand that I would have to have a background check to buy a gun, and I think, register it, but am unsure what to do about giving it as a gift.

However I wanted to find out how to do this stuff in advance so I can plan ahead.

I am over 21.

And if it helps, my father is a police officer in California.

Thanks.

ShadowKazama
02-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Just a small question (I hope).

I'm thinking of buying a gun for my father as a gift (looking into a colt python). I understand that I would have to have a background check to buy a gun, and I think, register it, but am unsure what to do about giving it as a gift.

However I wanted to find out how to do this stuff in advance so I can plan ahead.

I am over 21.

And if it helps, my father is a police officer in California.

Thanks.

icormba
02-11-2005, 12:04 PM
so I take it your not a current Handgun owner yourself?

If not... it might be a whole lot easier to just take a picture of the gun, put it in a card with money, and tell him this is what you want to get him. He could probably get it cheaper and not have to jump through all the hoops a new handgun buyer needs to go through.

But I can understand... the look on his face when he opens up a box with such a gift, priceless http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

someone should chime in pretty soon with the answer your looking for.

icormba
02-11-2005, 12:18 PM
oh yeah...
see if this helps?

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm

ShadowKazama
02-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Yes, thanks you. That helps alot. Now I just have to save up, I've seen them selling for about 1,000 or so.

Technical Ted
02-11-2005, 12:32 PM
What if...?

You find one at a gunshop. Put down a deposit so that they won't sell it from under you. Go with Icormba's suggestion: take a pic and put it in a card. Take your dad down to the shop pay the balance and have the DROS continued in his name.

The downsize is that you're Dad could find out how much you paid. Unless of course the dealer is willing to go along with you and give you the receipt and simply giving your dad copies of the DROS paperwork.

Or could that be constrewed as a straw man purchase?

ShadowKazama
02-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Like icormba said "the look on his face when he opens up a box with such a gift, priceless".

I'd rather go the complicated way for the full affect of the gift.

The other way would be easyer, but it would be like asking your wife to pick up the flowers you ordered and paid for for her from the flower shop, for valentines day.

It just wouldn't feel right.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

icormba
02-11-2005, 12:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ShadowKazama:

The other way would be easyer, but it would be like asking your wife to pick up the flowers you ordered and paid for for her from the flower shop, for valentines day.

It just wouldn't feel right.

Thanks for the suggestion though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wait a minute! that's a bad thing? hehe http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

take a look at question & answer #5... it should help. still Kinda silly if you had to purchase your HSC card ~$35, + $24 DROS, + another $19 to submit the form of owner change after purchase... yuk, stupid Ca laws.

Here's another idea...
do you know any of his co-workers? maybe they can give you some PD purchase info? like if his department gets deals, or if they need to pay all the extra fees and such? swear them to secrecy. unless all the extra fees don't bother you.

BigRich
02-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Straw man purchases address the situation wherein a person who CAN purchase a firearm does so with the intent of subsequently transferring it to another person who CANNOT legally purchase a firearm. In this case the buyer (son) is legally able to make the purchase and will subsequently transfer the firearm to Dad, who is an LEO (and de facto can legally purchase a firearm). This would not be a straw buy. In "the old days", as an FFL I had several occasions where I was able to give my Dad cool firearms as gifts. Yes, the look on a Dad's face when opening that box IS priceless and well worth doing.

ShadowKazama
02-11-2005, 1:19 PM
I don't mind the extra fees, I won't be able to afford it anyways till next christmas. What's a little extra to the price of the gun anyways? And besides, "priceless", remember? :P

No ammount being saved could be worth more.

And no, I don't know any of his co-workers. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif