PDA

View Full Version : Guns and ATV's?

Pulsar
03-21-2005, 12:02 PM
I do a lot of trail riding on my four wheeler, and I'm just wondering what the laws are on carrying a gun with me when I do that.

Last weekend I went riding way out in the hills with a friend and we were stopped eating lunch, when about 20ft away a bear came running out of the brush. Luckily it was running away from us, but it definatly got me wishing I had a gun with me when I go riding.

Pulsar
03-21-2005, 12:02 PM
I do a lot of trail riding on my four wheeler, and I'm just wondering what the laws are on carrying a gun with me when I do that.

Last weekend I went riding way out in the hills with a friend and we were stopped eating lunch, when about 20ft away a bear came running out of the brush. Luckily it was running away from us, but it definatly got me wishing I had a gun with me when I go riding.

RRangel
03-21-2005, 7:16 PM
Where do you ride? It's should be legal to open carry in a National Forest or on BLM land, and while in your campsite according to the CA penal code. Local laws might apply so check with the local law enforcement or Rangers.

You can't open carry in a state park because that is illegal.

I'm not sure whether there are any laws against open carry while riding either.

Pulsar
03-22-2005, 10:40 AM
I go riding mainly in humboldt and trinity counties. Usually on forest service land, but occasionally on logging company land (with permission of course). And I only really want to carry a pistol. Rifles get to be a hinderance in the brush, and I ride sport quads so I don't really have the option of an aftermarket gun rack.

Turbinator
03-22-2005, 9:51 PM
Is a pistol going to be of any use against a bear though? Read plenty of "gun for bear" posts on rec.guns, seems as if most agree that you'll be needing either a shotgun with slugs or some large-ish rifle caliber.. I suspect you are thinking of carrying a standard pistol caliber?

Turby

Pulsar
03-23-2005, 10:52 AM
most likely a .40 cal glock or a .44 Mag. I've had to shoot bears with my glock before. Had a bear trying to get into my garbage, so I shot my glock in the air to scare it off, so it turned towards me and started walking towards me. I shot it once and it ran off into the woods as fast as it could. Most animals when shot will just run away. What I'm actually worried about more than bears is cougars, not as many, but they are much more likely to attack you.