PDA

View Full Version : Sig Trailside problems with sights

zyl8tr
04-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I did post this in the Sig forums but no help at all.

My gun has an adjustable rear sight and a fixed front. The front being non-removable. The gun is shooting way tooooooooo high even after I have adjusted the rear sights. I don't have any more clicks left. When I aim at a 6" target at 6 o'clock my shots will go to 1" past 12 o'clock. Its off by 6-8" @ 25yards.

Any quick fix suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Or maybe you can recommend a local gunsmith that may be able to remedy this problem. I have contacted sigarms and they said that it will take 4-8 weeks to repair it under warranty. Way too long for me. Thanks to all.

zyl8tr
04-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I did post this in the Sig forums but no help at all.

My gun has an adjustable rear sight and a fixed front. The front being non-removable. The gun is shooting way tooooooooo high even after I have adjusted the rear sights. I don't have any more clicks left. When I aim at a 6" target at 6 o'clock my shots will go to 1" past 12 o'clock. Its off by 6-8" @ 25yards.

Any quick fix suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Or maybe you can recommend a local gunsmith that may be able to remedy this problem. I have contacted sigarms and they said that it will take 4-8 weeks to repair it under warranty. Way too long for me. Thanks to all.

bwiese
04-07-2005, 1:59 PM
Please don't be offended by this, I run into sight adj. issues a lot w/newbies and don't know your skill level, and can't tell from your post how you're adjusting...

.... Are you adjusting the sights correctly???

You RAISE the REAR sight to RAISE the point of impact. You LOWER the REAR sight to LOWER the point of impact. (Lotsa folks get this backwards.)

If your rear sight is all the way down & you're still shooting too high, then indeed you are out of adjustment room.

At that point, you have to move to adjusting front sight. For the FRONT sight, adjustment is opposite of rear sight: you RAISE the point of impact by LOWERING the front sight, you LOWER the point of impact by RAISING the front sight.

I don't know your specific gun too well. You can lower front sight perhaps by purchasing a replacement front sight of a slightly lower height. Ideally you wanna get front low enough that rear sight is not at extreme end of adjustment range.

[There is a chance you might have gotten the wrong sights on your gun but the diff btwn a 6.6" and 8" gun should still be in range of adjustment of rear sight.]

Your problem is a harder one to have than its converse, shooting too low. If you're shooting too low you can take some metal off the front sight to RAISE impact: cowboy gun guys have to do this sometimes. But in your case here you have to 'add metal' to your front sight which is not really possible/practical. You need a taller sight blade.

Let's work it out, assuming you have the 6.6" sight radius gun and you're off by 7" at target at 25yds. These are approximations, not hard and fast numbers but will get you in general range:

6.6" / x = 25x36" / 7"

so x = (6.6x7)/(25x36) = 0.0513"

So you need to raise your front sight (or lower your rear!) by somewhere around 0.05" - that's almost 1/20", which is a LOT of error.

You might ask Sig Parts if they have replacement front sight parts/blades at different sight heights. Measure how high yours is and ask for one taller. Or if they're some spacer that can be removed on rear sight (to allow it to drop further). Have 'em mail it out to you and a local gun smith can put it on.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

eviioiive
04-07-2005, 2:41 PM
Or..... move the target farther away.... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

zyl8tr
04-07-2005, 2:42 PM
I know exactly what you meant that I might get the adjustments "backwards". LOL. I even doubted myself and tried both ways. I also shot the gun on a benchrest to give me the most accuracy. I also used 2 different ammos to make sure that it is not the velocity issue. I don't have anything that can accurately measure .05". I think I am out of luck and maybe just put a piece of gum to raise the front a tiny bit. Thanks a lot for your help.