PDA

View Full Version : CA CCW Reciprocity

Certifiedtom
08-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey Guys,
I live in Fresno where the sheriff is very reasonable when it comes to approving CCWs so I'm going to take the training and go for it. My question is will having a CA CCW, which I believe has reciprocity with Utah, also qualify me to apply for a Utah CCW? I'm trying to avoid having to do an 8 hour training class for CA and then another 8 hours for Utah. Any help is appreciated.

Tom

CA Gun Laws Suck
08-05-2009, 10:56 AM
I thought CA didn't have reciprocity with any other states....?

Hayashi Killian
08-05-2009, 11:08 AM
It doesn't. Those multi-state CCW permits don't include California, so you can make your case but don't expect anything.

DougJ
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Here's some info on this:

California reciprocity: AK*, AZ, ID, IN, KY, MI, MO, MT, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT*

CA Does not honor other States

Website this info came from: Linky (http://www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html)

BTW, I'm not smart on this, but I did goggle this in just a minute or two...

DarkHorse
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Poor word choice.

Reciprocity is a formal agreement b/n 2 states that both permits are equal and valid in either state. CA has reciprocity with 0 states.

Recognition is informal acceptance of out-of-state permits, and is usually a one-way deal. CA permits are recognized by several states, including Utah (they honor all states by law).

Utah recognizes valid CCW permits from any state (just like Alaska, Vermont,etc.). If you have a CA CCW, and go to Utah, you may carry concealed under your CA CCW. CA and Utah have no reciprocity because CA is the d-bag of the west.

While your CA CCW does not qualify you for a Utah CCW, by itself, the training you receive may, so make sure to ask your instructor if he/she is certified by the Utah BCI. That may give you 2 birds w/one stone.

slick_711
08-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey Guys,
I live in Fresno where the sheriff is very reasonable when it comes to approving CCWs so I'm going to take the training and go for it. My question is will having a CA CCW, which I believe has reciprocity with Utah, also qualify me to apply for a Utah CCW? I'm trying to avoid having to do an 8 hour training class for CA and then another 8 hours for Utah. Any help is appreciated.

Tom

As Darkhorse said (100% correct info by the way), the CA class does not earn you a UT CCW, however, if you are careful and pick an instructor that is certified as a CCW instructor with both states you can do one class and two sets of paperwork. The instructor will just add a few tidbits about UT law, and then you can send off for your UT permit as well. The UT class requirements are actually shorter than CA. In San Diego I know Bill Desy routinely combines the CA/UT/FL class for his students. There is probably someone in Fresno that could do the same if you look around.

eldy
08-05-2009, 2:34 PM
Are you taking the course at "The Range?"

-hanko
08-05-2009, 2:55 PM
Here's some info on this:

CA Does not honor other States
Buttheads;)

Idaho accepts any state's carry license. Sweet to live half the time in a place where the Sheriff encourages carry licenses.

-hanko

theckman
08-11-2009, 8:39 PM
I've just moved to Fresno from the bay area and I'm very excited to hear that the Sheriff is reasonable about CCW's.

Where are you taking your course and how much is it costing you, both the class and the permit fee?

Wow, this is has made my day!